Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 05:51 PM

Hub differences

How much of a difference do hubs actually make? It seems like most stiffness comes from spokes, rims and how well tensioned the spokes are. It seems like the difference in resistance is at most a watt or two.

Weight is an obvious difference but it's little, especially when comparing the cost ratio to other components.

Durability can be a thing but unless abused or a lemon none of them seem to be overly terrible.

Am I missing something about this?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:24 PM

Are you asking if better hubs made better wheels? No, the hubs make almost no difference in how stiff a wheel is and none on durability.
A better quality hub makes a more durable wheel by lasting longer. There is NOTHING you can do to a real low end hub to make it last longer bar installing higher quality cones, but that won't help the cups and you can't usually install better seals.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:33 PM

So flange spacing and diameter makes no difference?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 PM
ergottWheels

Sorry, but the hubs can absolutely make the difference. Flange spacing and bearing placement have to be considered.

I took a rear wheel someone was experiencing brake rub with and swapped out the hub. Same rim, same spoke count. There was less flex measured and the problem was solved.

If you're wondering, the replacement hub was a Wheels Manufacturing (formerly Alchemy). Now production is steady and the preload adjustment was improved so they stay adjusted properly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Administrator

ergott is a pro, and i trust what he says about wheels without question.

to respond to the other part of the question - there are a bunch of reasons to get some hubs over others:

-drillings. ultegra hubs and record hubs for example are excellent, but only come in 32h. if you want lower spoke count - they wont work for you.

-ease of maintenance - some hubs are much easier to service than others. dt swiss for example - super simple to get to the ratchets to clean and lube, and replacement bearings are easy to find and replace.

-freehub swap-ability - some hubs are much easier than others to find replacement freehubs and how easy they are to swap. dt swiss is another winner here.

-weight - yes, it matters. building a nice light wheelset is a sum of the parts. heavy hubs build heavy wheels, or at least makes it more of a challenge to build light wheels.

-adjustability - this is a big one for me. some hubs are much easier to dial out play than others.

-colors!! - sometimes you want some color in a wheelset. you can have any color record hub you want, as long as it's black.

just some thoughts.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:36 AM
ZhugeLiang

Excellent list of things to consider from angry pal.

I recycle a lot of used hubs that I got from my local co-op to practice wheel building. They are all in good working condition but I can tell a difference in how they roll. My favorite is an old school hub that I have yet to determine its brand but it spins so well that it sets the standard for buttery smooth that every hub that I get both before and after is now measured on.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Sorry, but the hubs can absolutely make the difference. Flange spacing and bearing placement have to be considered.

I took a rear wheel someone was experiencing brake rub with and swapped out the hub. Same rim, same spoke count. There was less flex measured and the problem was solved.

If you're wondering, the replacement hub was a Wheels Manufacturing (formerly Alchemy). Now production is steady and the preload adjustment was improved so they stay adjusted properly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Asked and answered BUT, say a 5800 hubset and 6800 hubset or XT and SLX...Record and DT240/350/WI...except for what's been mentioned, same hole count, rim and spokes and nearly the same flange spacing...any wheel
using them would 'feel' the same. The Wheels hubset is a superior hubset in every way, including price(meaning it ain't cheap)..BUT hubs can last forever.