Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 AM
jtbadge's Avatar
jtbadge jtbadge is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
I'm wondering if we couldn't just use our existing cranks with an aftermarket 1X ring? Like we do now. Why do we have to be forced to use sram's new cranksets?
Every new groupset comes out with the manufacturer saying you need to use the new crank and chainrings. Usually that doesn't turn out to be true.
  #17  
Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM
shoota shoota is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Every new groupset comes out with the manufacturer saying you need to use the new crank and chainrings. Usually that doesn't turn out to be true.
Yeah but in this case the teeth and chain have been revamped and they say it won't work with any other components. That's why I'm thinking we'll have to wait for the Wolftooths of the world to create new chainrings that are compatible with the new chain.
  #18  
Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM
R3awak3n's Avatar
R3awak3n R3awak3n is offline
aka RAEKWON
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC // Catskills, NY
Posts: 9,809
I think it looks awesome. From someone who currently has Etap, Campy Potenza Hydro and Campy Chorus and a bike with 11 speed shim dt shifters

Things that I like -

-Looks great, love how the crankset looks.. futuristic but cool (sorry campy, the new crank is aweful, this one looks better than shim and campy.
- FD allows more space for bigger tires.
- Same batt are old etap (thanks sram so at least I know I will have easy access to batteries for a hot minute)
- 12 speed (I mean no one needs it but I guess its what everyone is going to)
- gear ratios. This is my favorite. I have been ridding 46/34 up front for about a month. I thought I had a secret, this is just amazing. with a 11-32 cassette in the back, it is just perfect for where I live. Have to switch from the big to the small so much less, the 46T is perfect for rolling hills... sure I have had this on my gravel bike but I have been ridding road with it, want to switch all my road bikes to this now.
-Shifters and whole groupset still looks great. Very premium, love the silver accents that they have kept from old etap.
- Etap App. Finally something like shimano app. Hope they let you mess with speed of shifting and stuff.
- RD looks awesome and 1 RD that works for both 2x and 1x


Things I don't like -

- Price. Its even more than the old etap it seems.
- Proprietary chainrings. Everyone is doing this and it is a damn shame.
- XDR rear hub. Bah, lame. So there goes the beauty to be able to use shimano/campy/sram cassettes. This is really a bummer
- Powermeter linked to chainrings (I did not read this anywhere but in a comment above), this is just DUMB.
- FD still looks chunky and maybe not enough tire clearance from it... 650B tires can get big sram... and no I dont want to go 1x
- Need new blips. the sram blips are gigantic and ugly.
- Anything else that is proprietary. God I hate proprietary crap.


Still, very good effort from sram. i think they seem to be listening to people. I hate to say it but this is sooooo much better of a move to 12 than campys.....

come on campy, you can still redeem yourself with a 12 speed wireless EPS.
  #19  
Old 02-06-2019, 12:27 PM
batman1425 batman1425 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,742
GCN video review says that the width of the AXS cassette is the same as the 11s standard. If your wheel has an XD driver conversion available, you should be able to run this.
  #20  
Old 02-06-2019, 12:40 PM
shoota shoota is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
GCN video review says that the width of the AXS cassette is the same as the 11s standard. If your wheel has an XD driver conversion available, you should be able to run this.
But the Xdr hub is 2mm wider..
  #21  
Old 02-06-2019, 12:59 PM
batman1425 batman1425 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
But the Xdr hub is 2mm wider..
The XDR freehub body is 1.85mm wider than a standard XD hub body, not a traditional road freehub. The XDR hub is the same width as an 11s sram road freehub. If your wheel has an XD option, my interpretation is that you should be able to get an XDR variant for swap in from your manufacturer either already, or shortly.


https://www.sram.com/stories/sram-xd...body-explained
  #22  
Old 02-06-2019, 01:12 PM
vqdriver's Avatar
vqdriver vqdriver is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: I don't trust air I can't see
Posts: 5,522
actually been wondering when etap was going to get an update.
for something that ships with an update dongle, it's a testament that they went this long... and you still don't need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
God forbid the industry stays with something for more than a year before setting new standards in order to use their products.
i've done the shimano and campy thing, and with this sram's left them behind in the 20th century
Quote:
• Using the AXS app it’s finally possible to customize your shift inputs and shifting patterns.
re the cranks, i don't see that as any kind of a problem. every time there's a new crankset, people bemoan proprietary this and that, myself included. but honestly, if you're dropping the coin on axs, then you're not going to quibble about a chainring. and to be honest, i never ever got used to the 4 arm cranks. stuff usually grows on me as the novelty wears off, but not with the cranks. current sram red cranks are a thing of beauty
  #23  
Old 02-06-2019, 01:30 PM
cal_len1 cal_len1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 68
Re power meter & replaceable chain rings, Sram made the comment that the chain rings should last 5+ years for most people, and that is the design life for a power meter anyway. So maybe that makes it a little acceptable...
  #24  
Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM
bfd bfd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,661
I’m currently using Sram etap 11 with Campy 11 wheels/cassette and it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the new Sram etap 12 will work with Campy 12 wheel/cassette? If so, that might be a way to get around the compatibility issue, although you would be limited to using only the Campy 12 cassettes.
  #25  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 PM
shoota shoota is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
The XDR freehub body is 1.85mm wider than a standard XD hub body, not a traditional road freehub. The XDR hub is the same width as an 11s sram road freehub. If your wheel has an XD option, my interpretation is that you should be able to get an XDR variant for swap in from your manufacturer either already, or shortly.


https://www.sram.com/stories/sram-xd...body-explained
Right. My point was that an XDr cassette (12s) won't fit on an XD freehub. In my case I don't have an XDr freehub available because American Classic went out of business. FFFFF!
  #26  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:10 PM
ravdg316 ravdg316 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
I’m currently using Sram etap 11 with Campy 11 wheels/cassette and it works perfectly.

Does anyone know if the new Sram etap 12 will work with Campy 12 wheel/cassette? If so, that might be a way to get around the compatibility issue, although you would be limited to using only the Campy 12 cassettes.
Most likely not -- Campy cassette fits on existing 11 speed without an adapter. Looks like Sram needs an adapter to extend the length of existing 11-speed cassette bodies.
  #27  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:12 PM
jtbadge's Avatar
jtbadge jtbadge is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdg316 View Post
Most likely not -- Campy cassette fits on existing 11 speed without an adapter. Looks like Sram needs an adapter to extend the length of existing 11-speed cassette bodies.
No, they use an entirely different freehub body. Same width as a Shimano/SRAM 11 speed road freehub.


Last edited by jtbadge; 02-06-2019 at 02:21 PM.
  #28  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 PM
vincenz vincenz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 221
Cool, but I’ll be holding on to my rim brakes and mechanical groupsets. Yes, I plan to be the retro grouch of the next generation.
  #29  
Old 02-06-2019, 02:58 PM
Mark McM Mark McM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_len1 View Post
Re power meter & replaceable chain rings, Sram made the comment that the chain rings should last 5+ years for most people, and that is the design life for a power meter anyway. So maybe that makes it a little acceptable...
And for those that change chainrings to tailor their gearing to specific events?
  #30  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:04 PM
saab2000's Avatar
saab2000 saab2000 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 8,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
And for those that change chainrings to tailor their gearing to specific events?
I think they’re offering three different options for their chainring setup, all with 13-tooth difference from small to large. That’s my understanding at least.

So it’s expensive to swap them out out they do offer options.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.