Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2018, 05:04 PM
floxy1 floxy1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 562
What’s on your coffee bench?

I’m a relatively new barista but really enjoying mastering the craft and experimenting. I went back and forth on best ‘budget’ machine and decided on the Rocket Apparento and Eureka Mignon.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2018, 05:17 PM
kingpin75s kingpin75s is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 1,118
Nice setup.

'budget' in the context of a heat exchange system, which is a big step up ($1K) in cost from a 'budget' single boil unit.

Heat exchange systems are really nice if you need to produce any volume though.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2018, 05:21 PM
fmradio516 fmradio516 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,462
Moka pot for "espresso" and a V60 pour over for my coffee.

Father in law is from Italy and has tried many machines but really likes this one(not this one exactly but looks just like it):

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2018, 06:33 PM
crankles crankles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 998
Miss Diva

I bought this used Diva and Super Jolly back in 1998 (She was built in '92). Been going strong ever since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3278.jpg (86.3 KB, 907 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 PM
floxy1 floxy1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I bought this used Diva and Super Jolly back in 1998 (She was built in '92). Been going strong ever since.
Very nice! I particularly like the nook and lighting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM
eddief eddief is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 9,521
My Aeropress

Is cringing in its non-chromed dish strainer next to a 2 lb bag of pre-ground Costco French roast.
__________________
Roubaix Di2, Curtlo S&S Etap

Last edited by eddief; 10-09-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2018, 06:46 PM
livingminimal livingminimal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Best Coast
Posts: 2,224
Rocket Apartamento
Rocket Accessories (tamp stand / knock box)
Chris King Mango tamper
Breville Smart Grinder Pro

Currently working through a bag of Irving Farm, "House 71."

Next up is some Highwire, "Conscientious Objector."

Currently on the Trade Coffee (http://www.drinktrade.com) Hookup program, getting a random bag that matches my taste profile every week.

Was in the La Marzocco home program, but wasnt a fan of the customer service and lack of consistency.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 PM
auto_rock auto_rock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nor Cal's South Bay
Posts: 607
A moccamaster and a cuisinart burr grinder that I run the night before because it's too loud for the before coffee time.

I'm a monster.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-2018, 06:58 PM
floxy1 floxy1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Rocket Apartamento
Rocket Accessories (tamp stand / knock box)
Chris King Mango tamper
Breville Smart Grinder Pro

Currently working through a bag of Irving Farm, "House 71."

Next up is some Highwire, "Conscientious Objector."

Currently on the Trade Coffee (http://www.drinktrade.com) Hookup program, getting a random bag that matches my taste profile every week.

Was in the La Marzocco home program, but wasnt a fan of the customer service and lack of consistency.
I've placed a couple orders from Trade. How do you like the new bag each week? The times I've switched it seems like it takes me 10 shots just to get the grind dialed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2018, 07:04 PM
livingminimal livingminimal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Best Coast
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by floxy1 View Post
I've placed a couple orders from Trade. How do you like the new bag each week? The times I've switched it seems like it takes me 10 shots just to get the grind dialed.
The program is new, but Ive been ordering a bag a week lately of randoms b/c of the free shipping. it's a big draw when you're going through a bag of week, generally three doppios a day total between my wife and I.

I am not that fussy on dialing in as I drink through it. I just figure it out as I go, to some degree. Plus I feel like Ive been dialing in long enough it takes a round of shots, maybe two, until I am in pretty good shape.

Last edited by livingminimal; 10-09-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2018, 07:06 PM
ptourkin ptourkin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Is cringing in its non-chromed dish strainer next to a 2 lb bag of pre-ground Costco French roast.
I can make a pretty spectacular cup with my Aeropress. Decent beans ground at the time of use.

My espresso rigs are a hacked Silvia with a pid and a Rocky. I'm waiting for livingminimal to get sick of coffee and hook me up with a Rocket.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2018, 07:08 PM
dookie dookie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: tarheel state
Posts: 1,305
PIDed Isomac Zaffiro and a Rocky.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-09-2018, 07:09 PM
livingminimal livingminimal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Best Coast
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
I'm waiting for livingminimal to get sick of coffee and hook me up with a Rocket.
I'll call you when I get my Boxer.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-2018, 07:10 PM
livingminimal livingminimal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Best Coast
Posts: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
I can make a pretty spectacular cup with my Aeropress. Decent beans ground at the time of use.
Honestly, Aeropresses are amazing. Back this fully.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
My espresso rigs are a hacked Silvia with a pid and a Rocky.
I need to swing by and see this silvia. That's awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-09-2018, 07:13 PM
crankles crankles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
I can make a pretty spectacular cup with my Aeropress. Decent beans ground at the time of use.

My espresso rigs are a hacked Silvia with a pid and a Rocky. I'm waiting for livingminimal to get sick of coffee and hook me up with a Rocket.
We can Hang. An aeropress and a Porlex are always in my luggage;-)

I too had a PID'd Silvia+Rocky that lived in my office. The PID made all the difference. Pulled great shots with that setup.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.