Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM
srcarter srcarter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Piedmont, California
Posts: 171
1999ish Pinarello Opera - Steel frame with carbon seat stays and fork. This was a great bike (though always has been a bit small for me (hence the setback and stem). Will be hitting CL this weekend in the interest of N-1...

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:01 PM
jamesdak jamesdak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
NB
Just adding a carbon fork does not a mixed material frame make.

Tim

LOL, reading comprehension issues there Tim?

OP's posts: We have a thread for titanium and carbon bikes, so why not a thread of mixed material bikes as well? I have only test ridden a Nove and enjoyed the feel of it. Ever since then I have wanted to try out a ti/carbon mixed frameset. " No where does he say frame. He says frameset.

Define frameset: A frameset consists of the frame and front fork of a bicycle and sometimes includes the headset and seat post.

So....the issue is what?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:05 PM
hollowgram5 hollowgram5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
LOL, reading comprehension issues there Tim?

OP's posts: We have a thread for titanium and carbon bikes, so why not a thread of mixed material bikes as well? I have only test ridden a Nove and enjoyed the feel of it. Ever since then I have wanted to try out a ti/carbon mixed frameset. " No where does he say frame. He says frameset.

Define frameset: A frameset consists of the frame and front fork of a bicycle and sometimes includes the headset and seat post.

So....the issue is what?
I would say the thread title should have been more specific to mixed-material frames, but I will say you have a couple very pretty bikes!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM
jtbadge's Avatar
jtbadge jtbadge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,827
+1 to "mixed-material" referring to the frame, not the frameset.

There were plenty of carbon forks in the aluminum and steel threads.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM
jamesdak jamesdak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
I would say the thread title should have been more specific to mixed-material frames, but I will say you have a couple very pretty bikes!
LOL, I actually totally agree now that I see that I'm the only one to read it so literally.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:13 PM
jamesdak jamesdak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
+1 to "mixed-material" referring to the frame, not the frameset.

There were plenty of carbon forks in the aluminum and steel threads.
I'm feeling so persecuted now for not reading the OP's mind instead of just his words. Time to crawl off into a corner and cry, LOL!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Hilltopperny's Avatar
Hilltopperny Hilltopperny is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lassellsville NY
Posts: 4,252
Apologies for the confusion. My uneducated self did put frameset instead of frame, but it was pretty evident what my intent was. BTW nice lemond James. I really like the paint.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Blown Reek Blown Reek is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 672
Lets start a thread of non-carbon bikes with carbon forks, 'cause there ain't nothing more exciting than a stock bike with a stock fork.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 PM
jamesdak jamesdak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Apologies for the confusion. My uneducated self did put frameset instead of frame, but it was pretty evident what my intent was. BTW nice lemond James. I really like the paint.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I fixed it, I'm easily confused.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-18-2018, 06:25 PM
hollowgram5 hollowgram5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I fixed it, I'm easily confused.
Eh! It's alright, I laughed a. It and almost messaged you about it on PM.. life goes on, youve got some pretty bikes sir!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:47 PM
gone gone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The frozen wastes of Wisco.
Posts: 1,757
Wait a minute! I've got a steel bike with a steel fork that I put a carbon stem on, does that qualify as mixed material?

So confused.
__________________
Greg
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-18-2018, 07:51 PM
hollowgram5 hollowgram5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
Wait a minute! I've got a steel bike with a steel fork that I put a carbon stem on, does that qualify as mixed material?

So confused.
I believe you nailed it with your first post in this thread. That thing is a big beauty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-18-2018, 08:09 PM
jamesdak jamesdak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Eh! It's alright, I laughed a. It and almost messaged you about it on PM.. life goes on, youve got some pretty bikes sir!
LOL, it's all good. I never take this stuff seriously. Too busy drooling over all the beautiful bikes.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 PM
dddd dddd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 855
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5446/9331881128_11aa556d90_c.jpg

This bike built by Edmund Polchlopek in France in the 1980's and used main tubes of MacSteel tubing. These butted steel tubes had .2mm-wall center sections lined with carbon fiber, and were originally designed for aircraft.
Diamondback would do something similar with their "welded carbon fiber" bikes in the 90's, but neither of these designs exposed the carbon to assembly heat applied near the ends of the tubes.
This bike has Tri geometry, so I don't ride it much, but has lasted over 30 years now and shows no unusual flex characteristics. I like that it has the elegance of lugged-steel construction, and was initially in disbelief when the seller told me it was a composite frame!


Last edited by dddd; 04-18-2018 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-18-2018, 09:28 PM
jamesdak jamesdak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
This bike built by Edmund Polchlopek in France in the 1980's and used main tubes of MacSteel tubing. These butted steel tubes had .2mm-wall center sections lined with carbon fiber, and were originally designed for aircraft.
Diamondback would do something similar with their "welded carbon fiber" bikes in the 90's, but neither of these designs exposed the carbon to assembly heat applied near the ends of the tubes.
This bike has Tri geometry, so I don't ride it much, but has lasted over 30 years now and shows no unusual flex characteristics. I like that it has the elegance of lugged-steel construction, and was initially in disbelief when the seller told me it was a composite frame!
That is so cool. Excell steel did the same thing. Somewhere in the Gita warehouse is a Giordana steel frame with carbon fiber inside the tubes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.