Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-10-2019, 07:31 PM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is offline
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 34,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Benson View Post
Ten speed Ergopower work decently with 10 speed SRAM deraillers and Shimano/SRAM cassettes, should you want to run MTB gearing

That is correct as bad as that may sound. Campag 10s shifters and slam 10s rear der does indeed shift shimano(and spam) 10s spacing..yee-farging-gads!!
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:05 PM
d_douglas d_douglas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 6,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
That is correct as bad as that may sound. Campag 10s shifters and slam 10s rear der does indeed shift shimano(and spam) 10s spacing..yee-farging-gads!!
Peter, that is just gross. You've been compromised by the Russians?

Joking - but seriously, does this allow me to use Campy shifters with a big gear ratio? Plus, use any old wheel set I want because it is Shimano ?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 AM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is offline
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 34,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Peter, that is just gross. You've been compromised by the Russians?

Joking - but seriously, does this allow me to use Campy shifters with a big gear ratio? Plus, use any old wheel set I want because it is Shimano ?
Yup, done it..it 'seems' to work best with Powershift 10s levers..Centaur and below, 2007/8..Haven't tried it with 2009+ 'Gumby' 10s shifters but I suspect it will.

These shifters ARE also compatible with the long cage Campag rear ders also tho..Racing T, Comp, etc...BUT 10s Campag is closer to ctr cog to ctr cog to shimano 9s cogs than 10s(if ya do this, use a 9s chain)..

But the Campag shifter->spam rear der gig was 'discovered' by Lennard Zinn..he brought a rig by(actually rode over) and let me look at it in the stand..freaky..kinda like dogs and cats living together..Twilight Zone stuff..

Strangely enough..I have used a Campag 10s front ders on 8 and 9s shimano rigs too..'QS' ones..
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-11-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Plum Hill Plum Hill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mascoutah, Illinois
Posts: 861
Anyone used a Specialties TA cassette?
Looks like a custom job can get a 32 tooth big cog, but pricey.
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ta-cassettes.php
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 AM
El Chaba El Chaba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
Anyone used a Specialties TA cassette?
Looks like a custom job can get a 32 tooth big cog, but pricey.
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ta-cassettes.php
I had one back in the 9 speed era. They are beautifully machined and shift so well that you could barely tell that you weren't using a pure Campy setup. They wear well for alloy, but that means faster than a steel cog, obviously. I eventually wore out the 15,16, 17 t cogs. I still have the unworn cogs that I can use to make up a hybrid 12-25 with light alloy bigger cogs. Thinking back, I think every product that I have ever encountered from TA has been really good.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 AM
d_douglas d_douglas is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 6,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Benson View Post
Ten speed Ergopower work decently with 10 speed SRAM deraillers and Shimano/SRAM cassettes, should you want to run MTB gearing

Soooo, what frame is this? It has some pretty cool old brakes - love it!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 PM
sjbraun sjbraun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, done it..it 'seems' to work best with Powershift 10s levers..Centaur and below, 2007/8..Haven't tried it with 2009+ 'Gumby' 10s shifters but I suspect it will.

These shifters ARE also compatible with the long cage Campag rear ders also tho..Racing T, Comp, etc...BUT 10s Campag is closer to ctr cog to ctr cog to shimano 9s cogs than 10s(if ya do this, use a 9s chain)..

But the Campag shifter->spam rear der gig was 'discovered' by Lennard Zinn..he brought a rig by(actually rode over) and let me look at it in the stand..freaky..kinda like dogs and cats living together..Twilight Zone stuff..

Strangely enough..I have used a Campag 10s front ders on 8 and 9s shimano rigs too..'QS' ones..
This thread has peaked my interest. I have my BMC set up with Jones bars and a 10 speed XT drive train. I'd love to go back to road bars, (Salsa Cow Chippers) and use an old set of Record 10 speed ergo levers to shift a Shimano 11-34 cassette. Will any SRAM 10 speed rear derailleur work? I'm looking at a SRAM GX 2x10 long cage RD. Will that work or should I look for a different SRAM model?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:56 PM
donevwil's Avatar
donevwil donevwil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 3,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
This thread has peaked my interest. I have my BMC set up with Jones bars and a 10 speed XT drive train. I'd love to go back to road bars, (Salsa Cow Chippers) and use an old set of Record 10 speed ergo levers to shift a Shimano 11-34 cassette. Will any SRAM 10 speed rear derailleur work? I'm looking at a SRAM GX 2x10 long cage RD. Will that work or should I look for a different SRAM model?

Thanks
Yes, I'm using the Exact Actuation (1:1) GX long cage with clutch with an XT 11-34 and Gen 1 Record 10 levers and it shifts well. Tuning took more patience, but when dialed it's solid. Others will chime in that it didn't work for them, no idea if that's from using the wrong derailleur or some other issue, but in my single experience it works.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:18 PM
Ronsonic Ronsonic is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
That is correct as bad as that may sound. Campag 10s shifters and slam 10s rear der does indeed shift shimano(and spam) 10s spacing..yee-farging-gads!!
As horrid as that all sounds .... could be very useful for some kind of cheap and cheerful monstercross build.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.