Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 02:15 PM

Yes, the 1UP EquipD is ~50lbs for 2 bikes and around 75 for 3.

Then figure out the bikes from there.

For me 3x 30lbs MTBs is like 165lbs.

I run my setup pretty close to what I'm comfortable with. It does effect the rear ride height of my car but doesn't have an effect on the steering.

It's not that common I take 3 bikes though. Usually it's me and my son, so 2 bikes, so zero concerns.

And 3 road bikes it's like there is nothing on the rack.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post

Your rack is 47-48lbs, I believe (per 1Up). That leaves you 110lbs for the two bikes which is plenty even for e-bikes.
But what I’m not sure of is the 24” requirement. Is that from the hitch receiver to the end of the cargo? (The rack, in this instance). Or to the point where the weight is concentrated?
That I can’t answer. Obviously the further the weight is levered behind the vehicle the more impact that will have. Fulcrum physics and all that. I assume there’s a reason but I don’t know the specifics.

Honestly, I sort of wish I had a Model 3 instead of the Y. I got the Y solely because it was available with a factory hitch receiver and wiring for trailer lighting. There are aftermarket options, as pictured above, but I didn’t want to go that route even though I know they are perfectly fine options. So far I’m 15 months into Y ownership. I’m lukewarm on a lot of things about it but other aspects are just fine and the utility as a cyclist is one thing I really like. Tons of space for carrying a bike inside the car as well. It’s a good vehicle for a cyclist in my experience.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
You seem to have the same 1UP rack I have, except I have the 3rd bike add-on.

On the Model Y you have no issues with clearance when the rack is folded up and don't need an extension on the OEM receiver?
I have no issues with clearance, though it’s close. I have about 1 CM when it’s folded up. I was definitely concerned about this when I got the car and it was one of the first things I verified when I brought the car home. I can get the 1UP pass-through lock through the receiver and the rack mount, though I have to sit on the ground and wriggle it around in there. No extension needed.

One terrible design aspect of the Y with the hitch receiver is that the panel that covers that area is nearly impossible to remove. I bought some tools at NAPA that are intended to remove interior panels. Very tough, thin plastic tools to get under the surfaces and pry them up. This is better than a screwdriver…… I purchased an aftermarket panel that sits in the receiver and stays in place with a magnet. Unless you’re looking very closely you can’t tell that it’s not original and so far it’s never fallen out.

Tesla dropped the ball on the cover of the receiver, that’s for sure.