Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 10:28 AM

vespasianus, Mark McM: I apologize, I meant shifting up the cassette to larger cogs.

I got my tensions incorrect, so I'll try creating more tension (counter-clockwise) and report back.

nalax: Got it! I remember you're right.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalax View Post
Campy specs a plastic ferrule for the rear derailleur.
It's the same ferrule, as on 12s ... just use the original parts and you can't go wrong.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:25 AM

An update: So I rechecked the b screw it to get it to absolute minimum without causing pulley wheel grinding. I was looking at the comments on the official setup video and noticed some people talking about how they could only get clean shifting this way.

I then dropped it to the smallest sprocket, did a couple (I was just trying to start over) of turns to increase tension, and...voila. I shifted up a few times and could hear the difference immediately. It sounded "right". Went up and down the cassette. No problems. It's been raining again so I couldn't try it on the road.

I then waxed the chain and it's not clean shifting anymore but I had already experienced this before originally and was told to expect that. As soon as I can, I'll see if shifting is good again once the stiffness of the the waxed chain clear out. Fingers crossed.

I've heard from people sharing how Ekar shifting stays right for a very long time, and also how it needs constant maintenance. Obviously, I don't know what will happen to me yet, and whether I need to consider Jagwire Elite Ultra Slick or have someone search out for more kink-type issues at that point.

Thanks everyone for your patience and willingness and troubleshoot with me. I am very grateful and hope I'll be able to help future people instead of asking more questions.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM

I've been running Ekar for just over 3 years and have had only a few issues with it. Nothing that can't be addressed from my home workstand.

The first bike I used it with was a Wilier Jaroon. I'm not sure if there was a chainline issue but I had a hell of a time trying to get the jockey wheel cage to clear the larger cogs when shifting. The b-screw wasn't set up per the video, but I was able to get it to clear.

Now I'm running Ekar on a GT Grade with less shifting issues, maybe that's due to the longer chainstays, or better chainline? Yet I find there are times when the chain will drop when shifting down the cassette into smaller cogs....

Again nothing horrible but what I've been experiencing.

Also the other difference between the Jaroon and the Grade is the cable housing routing. The Jaroon had cable stops so there was exposed cable under the bb shell while the Grade uses full housing the entire length of the run.

Could the better shifting be a result of the full housing?

I'm asking because I'm having a custom stainless steel frame built up and am wondering if I should run full housing or have cable stops.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman79 View Post
I've been running Ekar for just over 3 years and have had only a few issues with it. Nothing that can't be addressed from my home workstand.

The first bike I used it with was a Wilier Jaroon. I'm not sure if there was a chainline issue but I had a hell of a time trying to get the jockey wheel cage to clear the larger cogs when shifting. The b-screw wasn't set up per the video, but I was able to get it to clear.

Now I'm running Ekar on a GT Grade with less shifting issues, maybe that's due to the longer chainstays, or better chainline? Yet I find there are times when the chain will drop when shifting down the cassette into smaller cogs....

Again nothing horrible but what I've been experiencing.

Also the other difference between the Jaroon and the Grade is the cable housing routing. The Jaroon had cable stops so there was exposed cable under the bb shell while the Grade uses full housing the entire length of the run.

Could the better shifting be a result of the full housing?

I'm asking because I'm having a custom stainless steel frame built up and am wondering if I should run full housing or have cable stops.

Thanks for any feedback.
I am a big fan of full length housing and would do that if I had the option. With that said, I have been running EKAR for 2.5 years on a set up similar to your Jaroon and it has been great. Couple of small issues but easy to address. Make sure you use those EKAR ferrules - they really help keeping stuff out.

Also, not sure why you had issues getting the wheel to clear the cassette. What size cassette are you running?

I have my b screw turned only a little bit - I like the feel of the shifting when the jockey wheel is close. When I first got the bike I did not care but have played with it a bit and moved it closer.

Also, what stainless steel bike are you getting? My bike is also stainless and I absolutely love it. Modern steel bikes are just fantastic.

Last edited by vespasianus; 03-14-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I am a big fan of full length housing and would do that if I had the option. With that said, I have been running EKAR for 2.5 years on a set up similar to your Jaroon and it has been great. Couple of small issues but easy to address. Make sure you use those EKAR ferrules - they really help keeping stuff out.

Also, not sure why you had issues getting the wheel to clear the cassette. What size cassette are you running?

I have my b screw turned only a little bit - I like the feel of the shifting when the jockey wheel is close. When I first got the bike I did not care but have played with it a bit and moved it closer.

Also, what stainless steel bike are you getting? My bike is also stainless and I absolutely love it. Modern steel bikes are just fantastic.
Don't know why I didn't see this sooner

I'm running the 44t front ring with the 9-42 cassette in the rear. I don't like spinning anything that's 1:1 or less.

Not sure why the cage would hit the larger cogs on the Wilier but not on the GT, but it did.

I'm in contact with Mark Beaver from Tamarack Cycles. It's gonna be lugged 931 main tubes with KVA rear triangle and fork.

I do use the Ekar ferrules.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-08-2024, 06:52 AM

1st Gen (Carbon) EKAR seems to be getting excessively cheap in Europe and you can buy it for less than GT. It seems like it is being cleared out. Is EKAR WRL on the near term horizon? Does anyone have any idea when?

It seems like the Hierarchy in 1x13 will be GT and WRL. I was told about two years ago that it was going to show up after SR WRL was released - that is out now and Gt is out.

Does anyone have any insight on when we will see it? I have a frame needing a group and thinking of getting regular EKAR but I can wait for WRL.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:58 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisond View Post
Does anyone have any insight on when we will see it? I have a frame needing a group and thinking of getting regular EKAR but I can wait for WRL.
Following this as I'm in a similar boat. I realize that some people may have insider knowledge that they can't legally reveal, but maybe there's some way to provide a hint?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:58 PM

Funny to think that just like Shimano with their 12 speed GRX Di2 (and their MTB 12 speed Di2 stuff), chances are eKar WRL is all finalised, signed off and well into production but they are holding off releasing because of the excess unsold capacity of the previous generations.

Bit of a catch-22 since many who are into this kind-a stuff would be waiting for the new gen and complete bikes aren't selling due to oversupply there too.

It's a quagmire
Old 04-09-2024, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Funny to think that just like Shimano with their 12 speed GRX Di2 (and their MTB 12 speed Di2 stuff), chances are eKar WRL is all finalised, signed off and well into production but they are holding off releasing because of the excess unsold capacity of the previous generations.

Bit of a catch-22 since many who are into this kind-a stuff would be waiting for the new gen and complete bikes aren't selling due to oversupply there too.

It's a quagmire
What evidence is there that a wireless or electronic version of EKAR exists? Have any gravel racers or anyone been seen on a prototype?
Old 04-09-2024, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
What evidence is there that a wireless or electronic version of EKAR exists? Have any gravel racers or anyone been seen on a prototype?
Indeed...none seen anywhere AFAIK.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:50 PM

I had my first event and big ride with my Ekar setup over the weekend. It shifted without issue in the stand and even on flat ground on test, but on the ride I had issues shifting into the largest cog. Sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't. I tried the barrel adjustor for more tension (counter clock-wise) but that didn't help.

When I got home, I adjusted the bscrew again and barrel but not sure how to quite simulate what I experienced on the ride.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:11 PM

limit screw?
Old 04-09-2024, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
I had my first event and big ride with my Ekar setup over the weekend. It shifted without issue in the stand and even on flat ground on test, but on the ride I had issues shifting into the largest cog. Sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't. I tried the barrel adjustor for more tension (counter clock-wise) but that didn't help.

When I got home, I adjusted the bscrew again and barrel but not sure how to quite simulate what I experienced on the ride.
Hard to say what is going on. I found EKAR to alway shift up to the largest cog. If there is any issue, it is moving down from the largest cog to the next smallest cog (which the b-screw adjustment fixes).

I would take a quick peek at the limit screws and see if that is limiting in some way. Just turn a tiny bit.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The evidence is in the fact that I really, really want it