Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmony View Post
At the end of day, if you have a little extra cash to splurge, just take a risk and see where it leads.
If everybody puts in $10, everyone could get rich, and everyone could quit working. We would have a whole nation comprised of the idle rich.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
how many languages do you speak fluently?

You may not interject. I do not need your english lessons or you to make me or anyone else feel dumb because of a stupid spelling mistake. This kind of stuff drives me crazy. English is not my first language and even if it was it does not matter so yeah, either you have something to add to the discussion or shut up.
I would just be thankful if someone corrects me in a nice way.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
how many languages do you speak fluently?

You may not interject. I do not need your english lessons or you to make me or anyone else feel dumb because of a stupid spelling mistake. This kind of stuff drives me crazy. English is not my first language and even if it was it does not matter so yeah, either you have something to add to the discussion or shut up.
English is also my second language. I'm sure I don't pronounce some words precisely, and occasionally someone corrects me. That's fine... I don't get wound up over it. However, I don't think spaghetti was trying to make anyone feel dumb or inept. It's impossible to feel someone else's intentions, especially through text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoker View Post
I would just be thankful if someone corrects me in a nice way.
Well said.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:52 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

The thing is, correcting someone on the internet for loose vs lose is just about the lowest hanging fruit possible - it's one of the most common errors around and if your life's mission is to fix stuff like that, well good luck, you must have a lot of free time on your hands.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:04 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipmeister View Post
English is also my second language. I'm sure I don't pronounce some words precisely, and occasionally someone corrects me. That's fine... I don't get wound up over it. However, I don't think spaghetti was trying to make anyone feel dumb or inept. It's impossible to feel someone else's intentions, especially through text.

Well said.

I have been in the US since 2003, this stuff just gets old to me. If you heard someone on the street say a word incorrectly, would you correct them? probably not so why do people on the internet think its fine to correct peoples spelling?

I think its great it does not bother you when people correct you, it does to me. something I have had to deal with and constantly see friends deal with. I think that if it was something completely wrong and it hindering my point coming across that is great but giving me the definition of loose and lose as if I do not know the difference it is not a very nice way to go about it (since for some reason it was perceived as him being such a nice guy to correct my English)
Old 05-07-2021, 08:25 PM
tailgunning

these threads keep coming up, and the same arguments keep being posted "crypto has no intrinsic value or backing"

BTC is debatably in that camp -- and it's probably one of the worst things to happen to the earth from an energy consumption standpoint, but to imply ETH has no value (smart contracts are a very useful thing for validation purposes for two parties that have 0 reason to trust one another) is absurd. You can literally build apps with ETH, and (useful) applications have very tangible worth.

Can we please stop making blanket statements about all cryptocurrencies?
Old 05-07-2021, 08:48 PM

Sorry, didn’t mean to offend anyone. It was used incorrectly by several people, but never mind. I’d like to know if I used a word incorrectly.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
Send it to the moon Lord Elon
Lord Elon wants to go to Mars.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I have been in the US since 2003, this stuff just gets old to me. If you heard someone on the street say a word incorrectly, would you correct them? probably not so why do people on the internet think its fine to correct peoples spelling?

I think its great it does not bother you when people correct you, it does to me. something I have had to deal with and constantly see friends deal with. I think that if it was something completely wrong and it hindering my point coming across that is great but giving me the definition of loose and lose as if I do not know the difference it is not a very nice way to go about it (since for some reason it was perceived as him being such a nice guy to correct my English)
I probably wouldn't correct someone on the street. I'm not a teacher type and don't have the time anyway. And it's not that it doesn't bother me, I'm just at a point where I tune it out. I've learned the language to the best of my ability and the rest of the pronunciation is just the euro alphabet trying to take over on the subconscious level. Also, English has a handful of ways of pronouncing some letters, depending on where that letter is in a word. Like 'a'. They don't make it straightforward. But I see your point and how it can be frustrating.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandcomm View Post
I like the static rewards. protocol and automatic liquidity as spelled out the white paper. The overall the longer you hold the more you get from the part of the 5% of people’s sales.

Safemoon Protocol
SafeMoon employs 3 simple functions: Reflection + LP acquisition + Burn In each trade, the transaction is taxed a 10% fee, which is split 2 ways.

5% fee = redistributed to all existing holders
5% fee is split 50/50 half of which is sold by the contract into BNB, while the other half of the SAFEMOON tokens are paired automatically with the previously mentioned BNB and added as a liquidity pair on Pancake Swap.

Here is the white paper.

https://safemoon.net/whitepaper
I like the Safemoon beanie cap, t-shirt and jogging pants ...lol
Old 05-08-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Not surprising to see these opinions in the land of the downtube shifter.
For the record, I love my STI's. Haven't owned anything with downtube shifters in at least 20 years! Would never go back by choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
"Luck is the residue of design" - Branch Ricky (you know the baseball owner who got 'lucky' bringing on #42 the first African American baseball player in the MLB
Mentioned this further up, but the concept of survivorship bias is not only applicable in business studies, but life in general.

Just read more about the Branch Ricky quote and its context, thanks for bringing it up.

There's no doubt that there is a lot of wealth created by crypto, as there always has been through speculative plays. I believe in the technology. But to attribute any kind of investing "skill" to what's going on with something like Dogecoin is a big stretch in my eyes.

It would be pretty neat to do a 50 or 100 year chart of media-hyped investments (The shoeshine index?) to see where the entry and exit points would have paid off...or bombed.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:57 PM

Bitcoin? Blockchain? Cryptocurrency? Mining? Video cards? Lots of electricity?

*** is this?! People are taking REAL money and investing in WHAT?

If people need to transfer money, why aren't they just using PayPal or a real bank? Where and how is the money being made? Who's doing what with my real money investment in this stuff?

Somebody enlighten me, please!
Old 05-08-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

If people need to transfer money, why aren't they just using PayPal or a real bank? Where and how is the money being made? Who's doing what with my real money investment in this stuff?

The foreign remittance business is massive - over $1T per year.

Interbank transfer is the only game in town/mononpoly, and for most people a small transaction fee for moving big money amounts. However, for small amounts it's not attractive - not convenient to set yourself up for ACH from home, it's not instant and for a $200 transfer a $25 fee is not attractive.

So Western Union: fees are crazy high and you have to go to the location, which is a very common physical security risk
Paypal: unfavorable exchange rates, transaction fees, need accounts
mobile phone based ones: tons of fraud

All of the above are subject to jurisdictional/legal requirements on Know your Customer/Anti Money Laundering laws in multple countries. Then there's the secure account infrastructure stuff, PKI auditing, deposit/banking laws, a bunch of stuff.

And finally, in most western countries, the idea that your currency will fluctuate 5-10% per month is terrifying, but for many countries, it's not that unusual. BTC has some pretty wild fluctutions in value though as well, so you cannot avoid arbitrage swings at all.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

Good point. When the power goes out, the balance will be zero.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
The fact that for $0.000006, you can potentially become rich. That's the only upside.
I think it's a pretty safe bet that no one will ever get rich on a $0.000006 investment.