Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 05:24 PM

Is this a thing that's popular in the UAE maybe, and thought they'd try in Italy?
Old 05-06-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Think of Art. You can spend a small amount of money on a very good copy of the Mona Lisa, but there is only one original. An NFT is an original, and there is only one. Some original art is worth a lot, while others are worth very little (but may be worth a lot in the future)
Except the there is a difference between the original and a very good copy. Brush strokes, shades of color, the patina of age.

On the other hand let's consider the NFT of a video clip of an NBA game-winning dunk in the 43rd game of the season for the Celtics. There is no difference between the NFT version of the video clip and the non-NFT version. They're identical in the dictionary meaning of the word. Anyone can go to YouTube and see a copy. The NFT is just like a letter that says "You own what were are going to call the special copy and we hereby endow it with this certificate that says you own this one copy of that video clip even though it is identical to all other copies of that video clip."

If that's worth $50k to you, then be my guest in giving them your money.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:20 PM

Cycling Tips wrote: "Manolo Bertocchi [Colnago head of marketing] has excelled in
the important metrics of A) getting me to write about Colnago and B) his employer
getting paid for a bike that they never have to make … so, well played Manolo."

I want the NFT of that quote.

I'll pay for the quote and then Scotch tape it to a high-resolution printout of the picture of the bike that I'll copy from the article, then auction the two as a new NFT.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
Cycling Tips wrote: "Manolo Bertocchi [Colnago head of marketing] has excelled in
the important metrics of A) getting me to write about Colnago and B) his employer
getting paid for a bike that they never have to make … so, well played Manolo."

I want the NFT of that quote.

I'll pay for the quote and then Scotch tape it to a high-resolution printout of the picture of the bike that I'll copy from the article, then auction the two as a new NFT.

Your thinking is visionary. so well played 9tubes.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
Except the there is a difference between the original and a very good copy. Brush strokes, shades of color, the patina of age.

On the other hand let's consider the NFT of a video clip of an NBA game-winning dunk in the 43rd game of the season for the Celtics. There is no difference between the NFT version of the video clip and the non-NFT version. They're identical in the dictionary meaning of the word. Anyone can go to YouTube and see a copy. The NFT is just like a letter that says "You own what were are going to call the special copy and we hereby endow it with this certificate that says you own this one copy of that video clip even though it is identical to all other copies of that video clip."

If that's worth $50k to you, then be my guest in giving them your money.
Yes, anyone can get a copy, but only one person owns the original. It’s not a special copy, it’s the original.

Would I pay $50,000 for it, no…. But then I wouldn’t have paid $1,000 in 1962 for a painting of a soup can either.

Last edited by Tony T; 05-06-2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
The greatest thing about this is that our C64 NFT will never be replicated by us as a physical frame – it will only be digital.
What a selling point!!

This move by Colnago has lost me a customer. Either their head not in the right place or they are knowingly scamming their fans/customers.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:55 PM

Wow it looks like a cad drawing from the 90's

I'd rather watch a mechanic assemble a real bike on you tube
Old 05-07-2021, 03:48 AM

I think its hideous.

Then again, Ernesto has never been one to shy away from revolutionary design and engineering, so this is loosely in line with their pedigree.

But who am I kidding... this is hideous
Old 05-07-2021, 06:50 AM

I guess it’s “in the eye of the beholder”
This GIF NFT sold for $560,000
Old 05-07-2021, 06:55 AM
Riding Along

NFT's and crypto currency seems to highlight the massive wealth concentration in the world, the desire to launder money, the desire to avoid taxes, and how greed will find new and novel ways to destroy the planet.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:27 AM

A lot of folks up in arms about this “lost me as a customer etc” were you ever a customer? Talk is cheap and Colnago’s aren’t.

It is a savvy marketing move. Here we have 3 pages of this people talking about the NFT likeness of a bike, and the ridiculousness of someone paying to own such a thing. This is all about elevating brand profile, cultural zeitgeist etc and they’re winning the game because you’re mad and talking about it (as absurd as it is)
Old 05-07-2021, 08:41 AM

Reflecting on this a bit more, it seems like a pretty obvious attempt to connect with a new customer base- one that’s younger and with a lot of disposable income. Millennials are starting getting to the level of wealth accumulation where we’re not just buying ultegra equipped price point model bikes anymore. Colnago needs to stay innovative and relevant as a BRAND.
I do think this whole thing comes off a bit contrived but I appreciate how much it’s irritating some folks.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:08 AM

Old 05-07-2021, 01:23 PM
Are you thinking....

Lots of influences

I see the Mapei part at the bottom bracket (the AD21 "Art Decor" jello cube version). Downtube has a Saronni-look to it. The orange may be in homage to the Rabobank squad? Others may see something else.

I've always been on the look-out for my next Colnago, but I would never pull the trigger on this, even if that much cash was pocket change. Still, that doesn't make it a scam. Scam implies that you thought you bought a bicycle and all you got was a picture. Someone will buy it for what it is at what I think is an outlandish sum and good on them if it brings them joy.