Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 07:40 AM

After I received my 2nd J&J shot, I had some chills late that night and aches & tired the following day. Just took a few naps. Two days later I was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-05-2021, 07:41 AM

Pfizer second shot on Saturday. On my sister in law's advice I drank a bunch of water and took 3 Advil before hand. A couple of hours after the shot, while taking a finance final, I had a bit of an elevated heart rate. Could have been the shot, could have been the Advil (that was more Advil than I'd taken in all of the previous year, for sure), and it could have been that I was taking a really hard final.

The next day (Sunday) I did a 15 hour sailboat delivery (15 hours of motoring at about 10mph, this is no glamour detail). Felt like I'd been hit with an iron pipe for most of the day Monday, but this is a normal way to feel after such things. So maybe I had some mild after effects?

Really glad to have had the shots.

Last edited by November Dave; 05-05-2021 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:41 AM

Moderna 1 I was a little tired

Moderna 2 I couldn’t stay awake for most of the weekend
Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 AM

Astra Zeneca (first here, I believe)

First shot 2pm, woke up 12 hours later with chills, sweats, aching joints. No sleep, wiped me out for best part of 2 days.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:47 AM

I had my second Moderna on Sunday afternoon, and I woke up sweating and freezing around 2:00 in the morning, and continued to do so for the rest of the night. 102.5° on Monday, so I did nothing except sweat and sit in my bed all day. Yesterday was better with only a 100.5° and the sweating pretty much stopped by the end of the day. However, last night was my first Nyquil-free night, and I once again sweated through the night. At least my arm isn't really sore today.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm curious if anyone else (or how many) of you were given the QR code to V-Safe in order to document and feed the CDC any side-effect info for a few days after?

I have only met one other person. FWIW I got my shot at one of the Fed sites in Chicago staffed by the Nat. Guard and FEMA vs a private health facility.

I thought it good data to track and was curious to see that others were not doing the same.
I got the QR code. I didn't answer the first couple days of surveys because I didn't realize it was a daily thing. When I realized it was daily, and it was how CDC was gathering data on after effects, I answered all of them basically as soon as I got the text message.

I was at a huge place, drive thru, staffed by National Guard (Rentschler Field in East Hartford, CT).
Old 05-05-2021, 07:50 AM

I’ve only had my first Pfizer shot. I had muscle aches and fatigue just from the first one. I’ve got 6days to go till my 2nd. Realistically not any worse than a flu vaccine. I didn’t take any sick time but I also did do any workouts for a day or two, just went for a walk.

My family has mostly had side effects. My wife and her family have had none.

Thanks to cycling I got to wait till the last group. Almost everyone I knew got a 2-3 week head start here for higher BMI.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:52 AM

Context: 57 year-old male with no known health issues. Pfizer shot 1: rode a hilly, 2-hour ride that afternoon with no noticeable issues. Had a sore arm that evening, but the pain was gone the next morning. Pfizer shot 2: rode 1.5 hours that day and a hilly 2+hour ride the following day. Felt a little fatigued during the hilly ride, but otherwise no issues. Had a slightly sore arm the day of the shot and a tender underarm lymph node on the second day after the shot. Both side effects subsided within 24 hours. No long-term fitness issues that I am aware of. According to Strava, I'm just as slow as usual three weeks after the second shot...

Thanks to the moderators for allowing this discussion!

Greg

I was advised by the nurses specifically NOT to take an NSAID for 2 weeks (other than normal low dose aspirin) as anti-inflammatories could be reducing the immune response. Tylenol ok.

Pfizer first dose - zero side effects; went riding the next day
Second dose - slightly sore arm for a day, went riding the next day
Old 05-05-2021, 07:53 AM

I got the Pfizer. Arm was sore both times for about 2 days, mild pain to lift arm past shoulder height.

After second shot I felt a bit fatigued, fell asleep in the dentist waiting room. Dentist said that he got Pfizer also and although he never naps, he slept the next day. So maybe it was that, maybe it was me just relaxing because I was in a situation where I had no responsibilities, no tasks to do. Whenever I go somewhere where I have no responsibilities I basically immediately fall asleep, like my brother's house, in-laws, etc. This has been going on for many years, 10 or 15 years.

The biggest side effect was that after the first shot, I realized I'd be racing soon! I told myself I wouldn't race until I was vaccinated, with the expectation that it would be in months. Ends up that I got my first shot about 2 months earlier than I expected. I got my second a few weeks ago. Now I'm actually training. Ha.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:56 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm curious if anyone else (or how many) of you were given the QR code to V-Safe in order to document and feed the CDC any side-effect info for a few days after?

I have only met one other person. FWIW I got my shot at one of the Fed sites in Chicago staffed by the Nat. Guard and FEMA vs a private health facility.

I thought it good data to track and was curious to see that others were not doing the same.
I logged into a CDC website after both shots. Every day for a week or so, then once a week with a text reminder. You have to register yourself.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I had my second Moderna on Sunday afternoon, and I woke up sweating and freezing around 2:00 in the morning, and continued to do so for the rest of the night. 102.5° on Monday, so I did nothing except sweat and sit in my bed all day. Yesterday was better with only a 100.5° and the sweating pretty much stopped by the end of the day. However, last night was my first Nyquil-free night, and I once again sweated through the night. At least my arm isn't really sore today.
That is impressive. Wait, maybe that’s the wrong adjective...

If it was your first shot, I’d have been concerned that you contacted COVID just before your vaccination date. This has happened more than you’d think. Much less likely with the second dose as you likely already have some immunity.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:10 AM

My wife and I had moderna and the same reactions.

1st shot: sore arms

2nd shot: tired and brief bouts of nausea. We both felt like we might throw up, but that lasted for about 5 minutes.

Bonus: I feel safer riding, so I am riding more.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
I was advised by the nurses specifically NOT to take an NSAID for 2 weeks (other than normal low dose aspirin) as anti-inflammatories could be reducing the immune response. Tylenol ok.
Interesting. I took it about an hour before the shot, and normally ALL of my best info comes from my SIL. Hopefully I didn't negate the effects. My 79 year old mom didn't eel any side effects after her 2nd Pfizer shot either, without taking anything but water around it. She made it through chemo last year without any side effects other than complete hair loss so maybe we're just built weird like that?