Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2021, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_ross View Post
Heard! Thank you for all the info, much appreciated. Anyone able to tell the year by the SN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2002 Concours is number 539.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Ha, it’s the metro north headed back to NYC.
You know you're slightly obsessive when you buy two seats on the metro - for your bike.

Just kidding. She's sweet.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:01 PM

Great bike!
My Concours was a 2000 model I bought in 2009. It was the first road bike I owned besides my Bob Jackson after I left grad school in '75. Obviously, it was a gateway drug.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
When I became involved with supplying forks to Serotta they had quit using the F1 fork and were shopping for something new.

They began by using our standard Ouzo Pros and asked for a private label version they could brand as their own. This began with the O2 version which was an Ouzo Pro with a bit of additional stiffness. About 15% so they could say they contributed something to the design. The next version was the F2 which was the same as an O2 but had a titanium race & dropouts.

The first fork we supplied using their in-house CAD design was the F3. Roughly 2004-2005. This began with Ti race & dropouts and was supplied in 3 levels stiffness. In terms of construction it was still basically an OP with a new shape.

Over time this morphed into the S2 which was the price point offering with aluminum bits instead of Ti and fewer options for layups etc.

Later in the life/death of the company all bets were off and most of the Ti bits turned into aluminum for cost purposes.

Then the lights went out...
Mike, thank you very much for that explanation. I've owned all of these except the F1 and have often wondered how they differ. Presently I am riding a CdA with an O2 and it is very nice indeed. The Meivici/HSG I have has an S2 8.5 whereas the Colorado I have for sale here has an F3 10.5.

What can you tell us about the carbon seatstay used on the CdA and ST models?

Thanks again
Tim
Old 05-08-2021, 02:51 AM

NBD Serotta: My white whale

My old Concours was an excellent ride and one of the first titanium bicycles I had owned. Also the first bike I had ridden a century on. A great all day any day ride! I love the Harlequin fade paint as well!

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 05-09-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
When I became involved with supplying forks to Serotta they had quit using the F1 fork and were shopping for something new.

They began by using our standard Ouzo Pros and asked for a private label version they could brand as their own. This began with the O2 version which was an Ouzo Pro with a bit of additional stiffness. About 15% so they could say they contributed something to the design. The next version was the F2 which was the same as an O2 but had a titanium race & dropouts.

The first fork we supplied using their in-house CAD design was the F3. Roughly 2004-2005. This began with Ti race & dropouts and was supplied in 3 levels as ppm stiffness. In terms of construction it was still basically an OP with a new shape.

Over time this morphed into the S2 which was the price point offering with aluminum bits instead of Ti and fewer options for layups etc.

Later in the life/death of the company all bets were off and most of the Ti bits turned into aluminum for cost purposes.

Then the lights went out...
Was there ever an S2 fork? My recollection is that the lower cost version of the F3 fork with aluminum dropouts was always called the S3. The tapered fork that I believe you made for the Pronto was called the S4, and had chunky aluminum dropouts. I don’t recall there ever being an S2 fork.

Also, I bought what turned out to be the second-to-last Legend made. Shortly after the frame was delivered, the factory closed, and sometime after that reopened as Saratoga Frameworks. The Legend has an F3 fork (with ti dropouts etc.). When the factory closed as “Serotta,” I negotiated to buy several F3 forks from the remaining inventory, and all had ti dropouts/hardware. There were S3 forks left over in inventory as well. So afaik, at least as far as forks went, the distinction between the F3 and S3 was maintained until the end.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Was there ever an S2 fork? My recollection is that the lower cost version of the F3 fork with aluminum dropouts was always called the S3. The tapered fork that I believe you made for the Pronto was called the S4, and had chunky aluminum dropouts. I don’t recall there ever being an S2 fork.

Also, I bought what turned out to be the second-to-last Legend made. Shortly after the frame was delivered, the factory closed, and sometime after that reopened as Saratoga Frameworks. The Legend has an F3 fork (with ti dropouts etc.). When the factory closed as “Serotta,” I negotiated to buy several F3 forks from the remaining inventory, and all had ti dropouts/hardware. There were S3 forks left over in inventory as well. So afaik, at least as far as forks went, the distinction between the F3 and S3 was maintained until the end.
Ummm. That would be the penultimate Legend. Please get with the program and use "cycling commentator" language.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh View Post
Ummm. That would be the penultimate Legend. Please get with the program and use "cycling commentator" language.
Indeed! Although now that you make me think about it, I recall that it was the third last, not second. The last two were ordered by a single customer (as a pair for husband and wife). So mine was the penultimate order.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:12 AM

Nice! Congrats
Old 05-19-2021, 10:27 AM

Bar tape suggestions?

Usually a fan of supacaz and selle italia sg tape, but looking for suggestions.

Should be finished today. Found a NOS Record 10 carbon group that’s being installed.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:48 AM

I had a Legend ti with O2 fork and it was a wonderful ride.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:57 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Bar tape suggestions?

Usually a fan of supacaz and selle italia sg tape, but looking for suggestions.

Should be finished today. Found a NOS Record 10 carbon group that’s being installed.

Looks great! I am kind of liking the all black look with purple/green harlequin paint....I would stick with that for the bar tape. You might try and find a black seatpost collar too.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Looks great! I am kind of liking the all black look with purple/green harlequin paint....I would stick with that for the bar tape. You might try and find a black seatpost collar too.
Yeah - black with purple is a great combo and would be first choice. Having said that if a brown saddle were an option then I think brown bar tape could work with purple as a non-traditional color match.

But otherwise black gets my vote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post

Was thinking the same thing. Might try the supacaz silicon black tape. A friend is setting up an anodize station at his shop. If he’s got good results, I’ll dip the seatpost collar.
Cheers!

Old 05-19-2021, 12:31 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Might try the supacaz silicon black tape.
Would not recommend personally, their silicon stuff is the worst tape I have ever used. The kush stuff is not bad though.