Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 12:58 AM

Problem with fit on BB bearing

I bought a frame here with an nice Kogel BB for 30mm axle. I normally use Shimano. But I bought a cheap Sram Apex crank just to try the BB. But the axle will not fit on the bearings? It is simply too tight. Anyone had problems like this?
I know Shimano don’t use a direct fit on the bearings. I’am guessing on bad tolerances on the Apex part?
Old 04-19-2021, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
I bought a frame here with an nice Kogel BB for 30mm axle. I normally use Shimano. But I bought a cheap Sram Apex crank just to try the BB. But the axle will not fit on the bearings? It is simply too tight. Anyone had problems like this?
I know Shimano don’t use a direct fit on the bearings. I’am guessing on bad tolerances on the Apex part?
Sounds like a reasonable educated guess until you measure the parts, no digital or vernier callipers?
Old 04-19-2021, 02:11 AM

Don’t have calipers that can measure so exact
Old 04-19-2021, 05:23 AM

Is it possible, that the BB is for SRAM dub bearings (28.99mm) and not PF30 bearings? They look really close to the same, and if your Apex crankset isn't fitting through the bearings, that's where my mind goes...

Did you try asking the seller you bought the frameset from what they had the bike built up with?

Can you post pictures of the parts and any markings on the bb? Can you identify what the bearing seal says? As that could be looked up to see what it's standard dimensions are..

Just thoughts and the process is go through to sort it out.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:23 AM

I thought about the DUB possibility. But the bearings says 6806 and that is the 30 inner diameter bearing like it should be? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Is it possible, that the BB is for SRAM dub bearings (28.99mm) and not PF30 bearings? They look really close to the same, and if your Apex crankset isn't fitting through the bearings, that's where my mind goes...

Did you try asking the seller you bought the frameset from what they had the bike built up with?

Can you post pictures of the parts and any markings on the bb? Can you identify what the bearing seal says? As that could be looked up to see what it's standard dimensions are..

Just thoughts and the process is go through to sort it out.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:45 AM

I have an 30mm Enduro XD15 ceramic BB and due to the seal design it is quite a bit harder to install my crankset than on a non ceramic BB. I wind up using a soft rubber mallet to tap my crank through (and lots of grease). Could be similar with Kogel?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:32 AM

I tried to more then tap with a rubber mallet, but this is the fit on the bearing itself that is too tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWB475 View Post
I have an 30mm Enduro XD15 ceramic BB and due to the seal design it is quite a bit harder to install my crankset than on a non ceramic BB. I wind up using a soft rubber mallet to tap my crank through (and lots of grease). Could be similar with Kogel?
Old 04-19-2021, 03:54 PM

Without calipers we'll never know. I agree that you sometimes need to use a mallet, and sometimes you need to spend a lot of attention making sure it goes in straight, but usually it's very very simple. Try it from the other side and see where you get.