Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
I was going to say, we should do a Paceline version, but you and Angry beat me to it. I'd be down for your shorter (or maybe the longer) Riga route later this month or in June as I work my way back to some semblance of fitness
you're in. this weekend is rain + mothers day, next weekend is the Great North - i'm game for anytime after that. also game for a mid week run if anyone else is up for that.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:42 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
You're paying for the "prestige."
In addition, you're paying for the cap and musette (provided your team finishes) and I believe there are refreshments at the finish line (Rapha usually provides good quality potables and comestibles), so $50 is not excessive.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:55 PM

You can do the Riga Prestige on 28mm. Probably won't be much fun on the dirt climbs. I'd say 32mm or 35mm should be the sweet spot.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
you're in. this weekend is rain + mothers day, next weekend is the Great North - i'm game for anytime after that. also game for a mid week run if anyone else is up for that.
If it end up in June maybe we could even drag Nooch along, but we need him back on the bike first..

That works for me, mid-week may be possible with enough notice on my side too.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:16 PM
Epic=No Smiles

It's better if you bring a 3wt and stop on the way up to Mt. Riga and fish for brookies.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:05 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton View Post
This is a serious question. How is that price considered not bad when it is completely unsupported and riders just doing it on their own terms on publicly open roads? When I saw the price, I was very confused, but clearly people are finding value in it somewhere. I think I might be missing something.

I rode the Gib, Fig, Refugio loop last month and would maybe consider that if there were some water/food stops in hard to reach areas but otherwise no.
hmmm... I am not sure what it includes, I thought they would probably include some stuff and why I said its not bad. But yeah if its $200 and all you get is a gps file then that is not great but if you maybe get some snacks along the way and a hat or some other schwag then not too bad for 4 people

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagorider View Post
Thanks! Partially moving to Ithaca in August so hoping to hit these towards the end of summer/beginning of autumn! Can the routes be done on a road bike (I've 28mm measured tire)?
I would not hesitate in doing it on 28s. It would not be as fun but totally doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
I was going to say, we should do a Paceline version, but you and Angry beat me to it. I'd be down for your shorter (or maybe the longer) Riga route later this month or in June as I work my way back to some semblance of fitness
yeah we should definitely do a paceline riga prestige.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:01 AM

Now that the rapha riga has concluded - how was it?! Is it bad form to ask for the route?
Old 09-28-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solographik View Post
Now that the rapha riga has concluded - how was it?! Is it bad form to ask for the route?
The route isn't hard to find on ridewithgps.com.
Here is my copy.

Looks like a great route.
Would be great to hear more from folks who have ridden it...on the terrain? any food/water along the way? did you 650b?

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 09-28-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
The route isn't hard to find on ridewithgps.com.
Here is my copy.

Looks like a great route.
Would be great to hear more from folks who have ridden it...on the terrain? any food/water along the way? did you 650b?
Bah - i feel dumb, thanks! I've generally used Google to try to search ridewithgps not thinking to use the native search functionality.

Here is a copy of the route w/ resupply locations: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37567620

Last edited by solographik; 09-28-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:48 PM
ba-da-bing

I was on team Black Oak Velo and completed the ride. The gnarliest section of the ride was on on Mt. Easter Rd and Clay Bed Rd. It’s on state forest and not really assessable by a car. There were a handful of dirt bikes on the trails when we did the ride.

Don asked me about that area before creating the route since I’ve been riding in Litchfield County for about 15 years.

Personally, I wouldn’t do those two roads, it’s not that scenic. The rest of the roads were beautiful.

You don’t need wide tires to climb, you need them to go downhill (fast).
Old 09-28-2021, 06:59 PM
Cat 6

It wasn't completely unsupported. There were some breakfast treats (muffins, granola bars, etc) There were 2 or 3 Rapha pit stops with water and some snacks. Pizza and beer were free at the conclusion of the ride at a local restaurant, and there was a broom wagon (and a few other vehicles following) making sure that things went smoothly. I'd say it was a fairly well run event. I did the ride on a CX bike with 30c road clinchers. It was a good decision as I wasn't really lacking for traction anywhere except for 2- 4' sections of deep sand. I would do it again.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:19 PM

Love the marketing. Unsupported and unmarshalled.. be prepared and bring everything you might need.
Pay here to enter..
Old 09-28-2021, 07:41 PM
ba-da-bing

A few pictures on the Rapha IG account. A good one of the Black Oak Velo team. More pics on my Insta account @ darren.ct

Last edited by DarrenCT; 09-28-2021 at 07:45 PM.