Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2020, 06:19 AM

Lots of great info here, thanks! So, yeah sounds like we will keep it limited to VT/Western NY area for this trip. Obviously trying to be optimistic about what's to come in the next three months.

We're definitely open to hikes and my wife is a pretty serious rider as well so open to "wilder" bike rides. We love hitting big mountains (We did Andorra/Girona/Mallorca for our honeymoon) so if anyone has nay killer routes in the Northern VT, Western NY area, send them my way!
Old 05-18-2020, 06:29 AM

Personally, seeing as many covid cases as I have the last two months, things would have to look drastically different for me to consider a wedding in Aug, or recommend it to family/friends.

But I second the comment about being in the mad river valley. Great gravel/road/mtb in the area, plenty of hiking, and relaxing.

Maine is a PITA to get to, I wouldn’t schlep to NH to hike. If I’m on vacation I don’t want to spend more time in the car.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:50 AM

https://www.northeastcycling.com/six-gaps/

If your wife rolls, then Six Gap is a must..
I think it is about as much fun as you can have in a day.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/468673

Last edited by verticaldoug; 05-18-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
One summer in NH a buddy of mine and I were walking alongside the town "green" when some tourists in a car stopped to ask for directions. It was all we could do to not tell them "You can't get there-uh from here-uh..." We wouldn't have been able to pull off the true Emmit accent, but it's unlikely they would have known the difference anyway.
That one never gets old, Louis.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
That one never gets old, Louis.
It's interesting all the random stuff one remembers from your college days, most of which having little to do with formal education.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdog View Post
Maine is a PITA to get to, I wouldn’t schlep to NH to hike. If I’m on vacation I don’t want to spend more time in the car.
Actually the drive from Burlington to southern Maine isn't too bad. It was a scenic drive and used to take around 3-3 1/2 hours when we did road trips from York to UVM. If things settle down it would be worth driving east and spending a couple days on the coast.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:59 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
it would be worth driving east and spending a couple days on the coast.
Agreed - my sister's lived in Maine for at least 15 years, and I've visited her a bunch of times. The areas I've seen haven't been great for cycling (poor quality roads with no shoulder and drivers who don't seem to be accustomed to sharing the road with bicycles) but other than that minor issue, Maine, and the coast in particular, is definitely one of the most scenic places around.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Actually the drive from Burlington to southern Maine isn't too bad. It was a scenic drive and used to take around 3-3 1/2 hours when we did road trips from York to UVM. If things settle down it would be worth driving east and spending a couple days on the coast.
Maybe 3 hrs in a Cessna. The drive from Lewiston to Burlington would take me around 4 hours, and Lewiston is an hour inland. I drive fast too. Acadia to Burlington is around 6 hours. The ME coast is spectacular, but it’s a separate trip.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Another cool thing about Maine is that it isn't just rugged coastlines and lighthouses - there are some pretty neat artsy things to do too, if you're interested in that sort of stuff.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Maybe 3 hrs in a Cessna. The drive from Lewiston to Burlington would take me around 4 hours, and Lewiston is an hour inland. I drive fast too. Acadia to Burlington is around 6 hours. The ME coast is spectacular, but it’s a separate trip.
No Cessna just a VW Rabbit GTI with a radar detector. The drive from York County is more direct than the route you took from Lewiston.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:28 AM

So wedding is happening this year instead and we’re planning a 10day VT your. Thinking we will fly into Albany and work out way north so any road or gravel routes are welcome!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
So wedding is happening this year instead and we’re planning a 10day VT your. Thinking we will fly into Albany and work out way north so any road or gravel routes are welcome!
There is all sorts of great gravel and road riding in the Albany area and as you go north. Where exactly do you plan on staying and when, and for how long at each place? Flying in to Albany, maybe Saratoga Springs would be a could place to start. Great little town with nice restaurants that are all opening. There is very good riding nearby.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:49 PM
love2bike

Biking around Lake Champlain a signed route

Check out https://www.champlainbikeways.org/

They provide bike map & directions for biking around Lake Champlain. There are several ferries that cross the lake. One favorite is to go north along the lake from Burlington then either ride around the top of the lake or take the Plattsburg ferry to the NY side. Ride south on the Champlain Bikeway route to Port Kent and take the ferry back to Burlington. Depending on you fitness this is a one day ride or, overnight in the Hero islands and make it a leisurely 2 day ride.

Enjoy Vermont.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:39 PM

Hiking? Mt Mansfield from Underhill State Park is great - take the Sunset Ridge Trail. Or Camel's Hump from the Rt 2, north side. Actually, I think it's east side or west side for trails, but maybe the Long Trail also goes from the north. Bring some warmer gear for both of those hikes; it can be much colder above 4000 feet.

Biking? Maybe stop in at SkiRack in Burlington and talk to them about what you're looking for. You could do flat/rolling farmland south of Burlington (and north and west of Middlebury, stay off Rt 22). You could do a great valley ride on Route 100 south of Waitsfield down to Rochester and back. Stop in the Warren store for lunch. Gaps? - App Gap, also from Waitsfield is good, with a stop at the Bristol Bakery on the west side. Or bike on Grand Isle (off Route 2).

Driving? If you're feeling crazy, go to Stowe and drive up Smuggler's Notch on Rt 108. Be prepared to be awed, and stopped by oncoming traffic, as it's single lane between boulders at the top.

Other? Well, there's Ben and Jerry's tours in Waterbury. Any concerts going on at the Flynn in Burlington? The Canadian border may or may not be open when you are there. If open, Montreal might be worth a few days.

Adirondacks, Lake Placid? Over-rated to me...

Last edited by tv_vt; 05-08-2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:00 PM

You should stop at Papa Pete's in Bennington for breakfast on your way up