Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2021, 11:17 AM

broken skewer nut

So I put my bike on a friend's trainer to try out some fit adjustments. When I took it off, the plastic shell of the Mavic skewer nut (non QR side) stuck in the trainer tube. The metal inside part of the nut is still securely on the skewer, but the plastic cover is stuck inside the trainer and I won't be able to remove it intact.

My question: do I even need the plastic shell? or is it just to give you something easy to twist? QR seems to work fine without.

Secondly, if I need to replace it, do I need something specific to Mavic or can I just use a generic skewer nut?
Old 05-07-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanboy99 View Post
So I put my bike on a friend's trainer to try out some fit adjustments. When I took it off, the plastic shell of the Mavic skewer nut (non QR side) stuck in the trainer tube. The metal inside part of the nut is still securely on the skewer, but the plastic cover is stuck inside the trainer and I won't be able to remove it intact.

My question: do I even need the plastic shell? or is it just to give you something easy to twist? QR seems to work fine without.

Secondly, if I need to replace it, do I need something specific to Mavic or can I just use a generic skewer nut?
By a cheap steel skewer to use on the trainer.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:23 PM

Not sure if any would fit, but Boulder bikes has several vintage Campy skewer caps and nuts that might work:

http://boulderbicycle.bike/cart.php?...&search=Skewer

Probably best to send Mike Kone an email and discuss.

Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2021, 04:04 PM

The skewers with the plastic end are not intended for trainer use and could fail if used that way with serious consequences. Source an all-metal closed cam skewer for trainer riding.
As far as replacing the nut, it depends but usually they’re a standard M5 thread so basically anything would work. If the user intends to ride it on a trainer regularly just get a trainer skewer.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:29 PM

Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify, I don't really need a skewer for trainers since I don't use one (this was a one-time thing). Just wondering if I need to replace the nut for regular road riding or can I keep it as is. It's helpful to know that a std. nut should work.