Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenge View Post
I read about your difficulties with the installation of Challenge open tubular tires and wanted to provide another option. This situation you experienced could be due to the flat shape of a new handmade open tubular and the sometimes sticky nature of the tire’s latex coating. It could also be caused by a shallow inner well in the rim. With that in mind, we suggest you use the following method for installation:
  1. Center the Open Tubular tire over the rim with the beads hanging over both sides of the rim.
  2. Install one bead of the Open Tubular tire.
  3. Partially inflate the inner tube just enough to give it shape, insert the valve stem inside the rim valve hole and push the tube inside the rim (under the tire). Make sure the tube is straight not twisted during insertion.
    Note: If you plan on using latex tubes, we suggest using a butyl tube for the initial installation until the Open Tubular tire stretches to shape in order to avoid pinching the latex tube.
  4. Install the Open Tubular tire’s second bead starting opposite the valve stem and working both directions around to the valve stem. You should make sure you do not pinch the tube between the tire and the rim and make sure the beads are centered in the deepest part of the rim. You will probably need to reduce the pressure in the tube as you reach the last portion of the tire to seat near the valve.
  5. Push the inner tube’s valve up into the tire to make sure the tube is not caught under the bead and seat the last of the second bead.
  6. Inflate to approximately 25 psi or 1.5 bar.
  7. Working around the tire, rock the Open Tubular tire back and forth on the rim to insure the inner tube is centered and moves up into the tire away from the hook-bead interface.
  8. Inflate to 50 psi or about 3 bar and repeat #7 above.
  9. Inflate to riding pressure. Check that the beads are properly seated around the rim on both sides.
The first installation may still be quite tight, even with the correct rim, but the tire will stretch once you begin riding and subsequent installations will be easier.
I assume you were joking about the KY Jelly and other lubricants. I realize soapy water does help with some of the tighter tubeless tires that won't 'bead-up'. Just be careful not to use anything that might degrade or damage the latex or the casing on the handmade tires.
I hope this helps with your next installation.
Easier said than done. I'd like to see this performed in a video. Anyone can write "install the second bead," but actually wrestling the bead onto the rim with a tube installed is the where the blood and cursing starts. They do get easier to mount once installed, and they are my favorite wide tire, but man I just don't understand why they don't add a mm to the bead length.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Really, even if it is hard to mount a tire, so what; mount once ride for a long time. Unless your are mounting tires all day it is really not an issue. If a tire rides well and does the job then a few extra minutes of mounting time is worth it. But you are right, much less hassle to sell and ship tires at a loss. No time needed there...
The mounting is just one of a laundry list of issues I have with Challenge tires, both clincher and tubular.

So yes, I'll pass on a clincher that marries the wonderful features of being both hard to mount and more fragile than a faberge egg, despite being touted as a rough terrain tire. Ever had to change one roadside after just 75 miles and a flat? It sucks. I would also love to meet anyone who's ridden a wide Challenge clincher for a "long time." Even if you avoid the plague of flats, the tread wears at a rate that is astounding.

Never mind their tubular treads that seem to be mounted on the casing by blind men, since I've never seen one that's straight.

Once you get past all that, yeah, they're a nice riding tire. But not for all the other headaches it took. They're like owning a boat -- 90% work and 10% fun. And the 10% doesn't offset the 90%.

tl;dr version: I think their stuff sucks.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
The mounting is just one of a laundry list of issues I have with Challenge tires, both clincher and tubular.

So yes, I'll pass on a clincher that marries the wonderful features of being both hard to mount and more fragile than a faberge egg, despite being touted as a rough terrain tire. Ever had to change one roadside after just 75 miles and a flat? It sucks. I would also love to meet anyone who's ridden a wide Challenge clincher for a "long time." Even if you avoid the plague of flats, the tread wears at a rate that is astounding.

Never mind their tubular treads that seem to be mounted on the casing by blind men, since I've never seen one that's straight.

Once you get past all that, yeah, they're a nice riding tire. But not for all the other headaches it took. They're like owning a boat -- 90% work and 10% fun. And the 10% doesn't offset the 90%.

don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!

Old 04-21-2014, 04:01 PM

I mounted a pair of Almanzos this winter after a series of punctures on my standard winter road tires (conti gp4s and pave evos). Our local roads really suffered this winter and there was an increase in potholes, broken pavement and sharp flints. The Almanzos were brilliant. They mounted easily and chewed up the challenging (get it) pavement with aplomb. I was not disappointed in my purchase. I have no experience with any other Challenge product. I may use the Almanzos at D2R2 this year.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Really, even if it is hard to mount a tire, so what; mount once ride for a long time. Unless your are mounting tires all day it is really not an issue. If a tire rides well and does the job then a few extra minutes of mounting time is worth it. But you are right, much less hassle to sell and ship tires at a loss. No time needed there...
Yeah, it's because they suck and there are far better options out there.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:12 PM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
I actually did sell them here for what I paid for them so no big deal.
I did finally get them on the rim by trial and error. Pretty much the way Challenge described.
But to me being able to change a tire in less than 5 minutes without tools is a big benefit. I don't get flats that often but when I do it's usually at the end of a ride and I'm exhausted, pissed, etc. so I don't want to spend a half hour dealing with it.
I really don't understand why they didn't just form a wee bit of camber into the tread area. Would have helped a lot.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:14 PM
head to toe Assos

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Yeah, it's because they suck and there are far better options out there.
Yes, suck is why I don't shave with a straight razor.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Riding Along

Quote:

Fair enough, if it was just the mounting, I was confused by such a strong reaction, but given the litany of issues you have had I understand and stand corrected.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM

I think challenge seem to be hit or miss. Ive had paris roubaix clincher that were awful, if i even looked at a sharp object id get a flat. They were the worst tire ive had in terms of flat resistance.

Now however i ride the strada biancas on one bike and i ride a lot.. and almost exclusivly in city traffic. Must say i really like them and ive had an acceptable amount of flats (2) that i can remember. They were also not as painful to mount as the p-r was. Yes tough but not terribly so. The tire do get noticeably easier to mount quite quickly.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, if it was just the mounting, I was confused by such a strong reaction, but given the litany of issues you have had I understand and stand corrected.
Normally I'd totally be in the boat with you. I've loved plenty of tires that are tough to mount that are fine otherwise.

But the Challenges have a special combination of suckitude that I can't abide.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 PM

Challenge tire love

Challenge are the best. I have never had any problems mounting them. Just get on top of them and say something nice.

Seriously, the best tires I've ever ridden.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Vendor

Holy Hyberbole much?

You guys are funny. I have two bikes (both mine and my girlfriends... yes, that means I mount the tires) with Challenge Strada Bianca's on them.

1. They are a little tough to mount, but I'm a 63kg (139lb) 5'11" noodle armed cyclist and I got them on fairly easily. That was onto Campagnolo rims as well. No blisters, no horror stories, no special tools... a little muscle, and I have little. That's four tires all the same. So I don't understand all the crying about it.

2. They stretch, ya know?, so the first time their on is a little tough, after that... simple as any other tire.

3. The tires are great. No flats (knock on wood) and over 500km of mostly dirt road/bad weather riding. The wear seems normal.

4. They are awesome tires at around 55-60psi, they still feel fast and not sluggish even with the lower pressure.

5. The only complaint I have of them is they aren't as supple as I would have thought. I don't know if it's because of the puncture protection on the Strade Bianca... but for a high thread count tire they aren't super supple.

Way too much hyperbole going on... or something, I dunno. I never read so much over-dramatic complaining about a tire.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerckxMad View Post
Easier said than done. I'd like to see this performed in a video. Anyone can write "install the second bead," but actually wrestling the bead onto the rim with a tube installed is the where the blood and cursing starts. They do get easier to mount once installed, and they are my favorite wide tire, but man I just don't understand why they don't add a mm to the bead length.
I built a 650b Boulder Bike, with Challenge tires, for a little woman..It took me 30 minutes to get one tire on..there is NO WAY this young lady could change a flat on the road..PLUS I have some freebie Challenge tubulars and they are not even close to straight...fail IMHO. Challenge had been trying for a long time to have Vecchio's sell 'em..when compared to Vittroia and Conti(our 2 tires for almost 15 years)..I saw no need.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
You guys are funny. I have two bikes (both mine and my girlfriends... yes, that means I mount the tires) with Challenge Strada Bianca's on them.

1. They are a little tough to mount, but I'm a 63kg (139lb) 5'11" noodle armed cyclist and I got them on fairly easily. That was onto Campagnolo rims as well. No blisters, no horror stories, no special tools... a little muscle, and I have little. That's four tires all the same. So I don't understand all the crying about it.

2. They stretch, ya know?, so the first time their on is a little tough, after that... simple as any other tire.

3. The tires are great. No flats (knock on wood) and over 500km of mostly dirt road/bad weather riding. The wear seems normal.

4. They are awesome tires at around 55-60psi, they still feel fast and not sluggish even with the lower pressure.

5. The only complaint I have of them is they aren't as supple as I would have thought. I don't know if it's because of the puncture protection on the Strade Bianca... but for a high thread count tire they aren't super supple.

Way too much hyperbole going on... or something, I dunno. I never read so much over-dramatic complaining about a tire.
You should probably go buy a lottery ticket then. Their QC, in my experience, is all over the map and mostly towards the terrible end of things.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
You should probably go buy a lottery ticket then. Their QC, in my experience, is all over the map and mostly towards the terrible end of things.
Agree, at least about the tires....far better choices out there.