Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 PM
ZhugeLiang

it's excellent!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:51 AM

I really wanted to like this series, but it really didn't do it for me. Reminded me of the various eurosport follow-the-team-through-the-tour type series that I've enjoyed in the past, except with random interjections to hear the same lines over and over again from Hannah Grant (they eat a lot, variation is essential to keep up appetites, tdf riders have demanding diets, france produces lots of amazing food, tdf is hard). No doubt Grant's got serious chops and cooks amazing food, but this series seemed a bit lacking in direction/production. Really wanted to learn more about athlete or cycling specific nutrition, but there was pretty much no info. Only enjoyed the cycling aspects of this.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:17 AM
Barely Hanging On

I watched it and generally enjoyed it. It did seem that the show was trying to be too many things at once in terms of cycling and food. I was expecting a show about food with cycling as the background and was actually more interested in the food (heresy). What troubled me the most was the poached pear dessert that was supposed to have a chocolate sauce and then there was no chocolate sauce. My wife and I felt we were deprived of the promised chocolate sauce (priorities of course).
Old 08-19-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev0 View Post
I really wanted to like this series, but it really didn't do it for me. Reminded me of the various eurosport follow-the-team-through-the-tour type series that I've enjoyed in the past, except with random interjections to hear the same lines over and over again from Hannah Grant (they eat a lot, variation is essential to keep up appetites, tdf riders have demanding diets, france produces lots of amazing food, tdf is hard). No doubt Grant's got serious chops and cooks amazing food, but this series seemed a bit lacking in direction/production. Really wanted to learn more about athlete or cycling specific nutrition, but there was pretty much no info. Only enjoyed the cycling aspects of this.
Same. I like Scott's YouTube series better. The racing action and Matt White are fun to watch but the chef is absolutely without insight. Repeats the same thing over and over like a bad case of Phil and Paul disease.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Yep, they couldn't decide if the focus should be on her, the sport, or the food. In the end it should have been about the science. Eating steak doesn't make me feel better on the bike.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 AM
ZhugeLiang

Hahaha...you pals cracked me up. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 PM

What a cool show/series!

Just happened upon it.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Yep, they couldn't decide if the focus should be on her, the sport, or the food. .
Yes.
Altho i think it could have stayed with the chefs and their (big) role during an event like the tdf given that was the whole premise. At least the way i saw it.
i liked seeing all the behind the scenes stuff and shooting from locale to locale
Old 12-20-2018, 11:07 PM

Such a great balance of the cycling as well as the food, the farming, etc.

Really great show!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Entertainment, not education... Keep in mind that it was supposed to be entertaining. That, it delivered in spades.

Educational? Meh. Not so much.

I'd like to see more 'in the kitchen' kind of scenes, but most people watching that show are cyclists, not foodies

M
Old 12-21-2018, 10:26 AM

yep i'd have enjoyed seeing more of the actual food prep and cooking, but the show was a good "taste" of it. the chef and her crew were really passionate not only about food but of feeding the cyclists, and knowing the kind of suffering they do turning themselves inside out.

i thoroughly enjoyed it, esp. the farm scenes. that winemaker was interesting too, everything done outdoors incl. in the heat. they didn't give indication if the wine was good though, hard to tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Entertainment, not education... Keep in mind that it was supposed to be entertaining. That, it delivered in spades.

Educational? Meh. Not so much.

I'd like to see more 'in the kitchen' kind of scenes, but most people watching that show are cyclists, not foodies

M
Old 12-21-2018, 10:31 AM
Administrator

i thought it was excellent and well done.

call me crazy - but i'd rather watch a recap of the tour as told by these guys than actually watch the tour itself.