Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 AM

Campagnolo Bullet Ultra-Cult 2019 Reviews/Opinions?

I'm considering a set of 50mm aero wheels and know very little about them. I typically run clinchers on Mavic G-40s/Record hubs and Campy Zonda C17s. I'm looking for increased aerodynamic performance over the Zondas without a ton of extra weight. I'm considering these:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...9/rp-prod88956

As someone who rides steel bikes from the 80s, I'm not interested in a completely carbon wheel. I don't want to change brake pads back and forth and I want good braking performance wet or dry. I ride fast club rides a couple times a week and mix it up pretty good considering I'm only 40 years away from being 100 years old. I don't race anymore but I still like to go fast.

Will the performance of the Bullets be better than the Zondas (with comparable tires/tubes) and if so are we talking a little, a lot or somewhere in between?

The last question is, how will the Bullet Ultras climb compared to the Zondas?

Thanks in advance for any info
Old 03-27-2019, 06:39 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

I own two pairs of Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50mm wheels with all the cool CULT bearings options.
They hold speed, turn well, climb well, and brake well.
They are attractive with more subdued "dark" graphics option selected. All thumbs-up from me.

Last edited by Blue Jays; 03-27-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
I own two pairs of Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 50mm wheels with all the cool CULT bearings options.
They hold speed, turn well, climb well, and brake well.
They are attractive with more subdued "dark" graphics option selected. All thumbs-up from me.

Thank you!

Are the ones you have different other than the graphics being a little subdued?
Same specs I mean?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I'm considering a set of 50mm aero wheels and know very little about them. I typically run clinchers on Mavic G-40s/Record hubs and Campy Zonda C17s. I'm looking for increased aerodynamic performance over the Zondas without a ton of extra weight. I'm considering these:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...9/rp-prod88956

As someone who rides steel bikes from the 80s, I'm not interested in a completely carbon wheel. I don't want to change brake pads back and forth and I want good braking performance wet or dry. I ride fast club rides a couple times a week and mix it up pretty good considering I'm only 40 years away from being 100 years old. I don't race anymore but I still like to go fast.

Will the performance of the Bullets be better than the Zondas (with comparable tires/tubes) and if so are we talking a little, a lot or somewhere in between?

The last question is, how will the Bullet Ultras climb compared to the Zondas?

Thanks in advance for any info
I personally won't pay that much for a pair of alu/carbon wheels. Campy Bullet is great enough and this site has them for sale for less than half the price of those ultras https://www.bike-components.de/en/Ca...eelset-p29527/
Old 03-27-2019, 09:43 AM

also Sciroccos are great too, even tho they are 35mm deep..
Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Thanks all!

I found the "Dark" models even cheaper than the link. I'm looking forward to trying them out