Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
This is a really great summation of good tools to bring along. My kit has the same basic essentials, e.g. Silca torque ratchet w/ added 8mm hex, wolf tooth stuff esp. the pack pliers for the chain , but your discussion has a bunch more o' good reminders and ideas.

For rim brake travelers ( maybe that's still you too, Angry) who need to slim down wheels with the cassette off for traveling, I'd add that I've had good experience with my Ritchey Zeta wheels and their very clever completely removable (no tools) free hub body and ratchet system.

Finally, I keep my seat post at the same height going back on by putting a dot of white out on the back side so it can always be relocated relative to the top of the seat tube.

I'm off to France in April, though nowadays, I leave a bike stored over there. But there's always some work to do and adjustments to make. Having good tools on a trip is key.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:32 PM

This has been one of those "glad I read the Paceline" threads, it stimulates the brain. I typically bring the tools I needed to take the bike down to the level where I can pack it into the Post Carry case.

Wheels Mfg lockring wrench (remove and re-install rotors)
Set of L hex keys 2-8mm
Chain quicklink pliers tool (cheapo alloy one from Amazon)
Multi-tool with chain tool, has Torx, screwdrivers, etc.
Tubeless tire plug kit (Dynaplug)
Tire patch
Spare tubes
Chain wax lube
Spare Atops (like BOAs) for my shoes
Derailleur hanger

Last edited by NHAero; 03-06-2024 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I bookmarked this post
Old 03-06-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I have never considered taking the tools to change a cassette with my travel bike. Is there some reason you bring these along?
I take the cassette off the rear wheel every time. Most of my trips have been to high mountains - it's an 11-34 cassette. Leaving it on the wheel is too dicey in terms of causing frame damage and just packing stuff into the case, sometimes tight around the freehub. My frame is roughly a 60cm, so that may factor into how I pack compared to someone with a much smaller frame. (I also have to remove the fork from the frame...)

Last edited by tv_vt; 03-06-2024 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
I take the cassette off the rear wheel every time. Most of my trips have been to high mountains - it's an 11-34 cassette. Leaving it on the wheel is too dicey in terms of causing frame damage and just packing stuff into the case, sometimes tight around the freehub. My frame is roughly a 60cm, so that may factor into how I pack compared to someone with a much smaller frame. (I also have to remove the fork from the frame...)
Interesting! This is something I had not thought of. I will be building my travel bike 1x, so the rear cassette is 11-42, even bigger! I had not considered the larger cassette may make packing more difficult, I guess we will see! I ride a 50cm frame though, so a bit more room in the case.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:57 PM

My Ti travel bike (62 x 62) can be dis/reassembled (for packing) with only 4, 5, 6 & 8mm Allens. Add to that the S&S wrench, a screw driver for derailleur adjustment & a 15mm for the Paul centerpulls and that's it. I need to remove the crank, fork (too long so goes in main, not S&S, suitcase), cassette (had a rear wheel built with hub that allows toolless freehub removal with no loose hardware) and choose to remove the rear derailleur.

Still, it's a PITA to pack with such fat and long Ti tubes. If I were to buy a new travel bike I'd go steel with typical road brakes and an English fork that attaches the steerer/stem at the crown.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:11 PM
Windrider

Quote:
As I'm rebuilding my travel bike, I note that my little tool bag that goes with it is full of kind of crappy, rusty junk. Time to rethink what I throw in the S&S case to go with the bike.

The goal is always the most convenient tools to get the bike up and running quickly. Many multitools are not very good for actually working on a bike. Fine in an emergency, but not ideal when used routinely.

Obviously the S&S coupler wrench is foundational, but what goes in your travel bike case that works well for you?
When I traveled with my S&S coupled bike, I included the following in the case with the bike:

1.) Extra quicklinks. My travel bike chain always was joined with a quicklink. Chain was removed and put in a ziploc bag to keep everything less messy
2.) set of hex wrenches. Note Handlebars, stem, and post were all aluminum so torque wrench unnecessary.
3.) Full size pedal wrench. I traveled frequently with this and never once had it confiscated. Always checked the bike. All tools were in a separate tool bag.
4.) Chain tool and several links of extra chain and chain pins. Only had to break my chain once 1,000 miles from home before this became great insurance
5.) Lezane mini pump
6.) Tube of silicone grease
7.) Small bottle of chain lube
8.) S & S wrench
9.) 2 Extra tubes, Patch kit, and tire wrenches.

My goal was to be self-sufficient.

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 03-06-2024, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Interesting! This is something I had not thought of. I will be building my travel bike 1x, so the rear cassette is 11-42, even bigger! I had not considered the larger cassette may make packing more difficult, I guess we will see! I ride a 50cm frame though, so a bit more room in the case.
I have been thinking of doing this next time I fly with a bike also, esp. because the DT Swiss freehub comes off so easily. I also have wheels with Bitex 312 hubs, and the tools to take apart are also pretty basic.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I’ve not had an issue with leaving a 10-50 on my wheels. It never crossed my mind to remove it. It is xd/xdr and can easily be removed but the wheels are pretty snugly packed and there is no way it is popping off in my bag.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:09 PM

When I used to pack my S&S 60cm Curtlo...

I was concerned about the big cassette and wheel being packed on top of the downtube. My remedy was to buy a foot long length of clear plastic hose. Cut it length wise and slip it over the down tube before packing the rear wheel on top. It was a tight sandwich but the plastic hose was good protection. But can't beat those free hub/cassette combos that just pop out.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Get an XD freehub and use a 10-42 cassette. They're one piece, so you can remove them quickly and easily for packing, and you get a better gear range in the process.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I bookmarked this post
Thank you!
Old 03-06-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Thank you!
Your blog is both very informative and also highly amusing. Thank you!
Old 03-06-2024, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Your blog is both very informative and also highly amusing. Thank you!
I’m glad you like it. Not including mom, I’m up to 3 readers now!
Old 03-07-2024, 01:16 PM

Not sure I’ll describe this correctly. My rear wheel goes in the lid of my S&S hard case. The cassette is pointed towards the outside of the case, so it can’t hit anything else.