Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not a chance. The US is the land of mini/midsize/fullsize SUVs..Wagons like the GSW, etc are a nitch to say the least. It's all about $ and marketing..and the US consumer is brainwashed into thinking they need a CRV or Rav-4 type thing.
Just look at a Subaru outback..it 'used' to be kinda a small wagon..now it's the same size as a Tiguan/Rav4/CRV..it's YUGE!!
I had a Honda Accord LX wagon in the 90s, then Honda dropped it. I currently have a 2012 Acura TSX Sport Wagon, they dropped that model soon after. So, they have tried cool wagons in the US and the sales just don't support keeping them in the line.

Tim
Old 08-07-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
on the highway? did you use premium oil? the car has EPA estimate of 29 mpg for the highway, but if you can get 33.5 mpg, that's great (especially for an AWD)

i'd love to drive that car, with the only concern being what happens when I need parts, etc.

a dealership nearby is blowing out a $38k car for $22k...
We filled up with premium gas before our trip, and most of our driving was highway. We parked the car at our hotels, so no real city driving.

We bought our Regal TourX at a local dealership for about $8K under the list price. It's a loaded 2018 model, so I guess that the dealer was motivated to sell it. Initially, the sales manager wouldn't agree to our price, so he let us walk out. He called us five days later and said he was ready to do our deal. We've only got about 3000 miles on the car so far, but we've been impressed with it so far. It's quick, comfortable, and seems to be well put together.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:47 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggypeake View Post
We filled up with premium gas before our trip, and most of our driving was highway. We parked the car at our hotels, so no real city driving.

We bought our Regal TourX at a local dealership for about $8K under the list price. It's a loaded 2018 model, so I guess that the dealer was motivated to sell it. Initially, the sales manager wouldn't agree to our price, so he let us walk out. He called us five days later and said he was ready to do our deal. We've only got about 3000 miles on the car so far, but we've been impressed with it so far. It's quick, comfortable, and seems to be well put together.
Nice!
Great deal for a German made Opel! That is one car i'm considering now
Old 08-07-2019, 04:49 PM

I put 10K on my '14 VW JSW in the last 5 months and it has been great so far. The last 4K has been with a turbo back non restrictive exhaust and a stage 2.5 tune. The highway milage went up about 5MPG to 47 if I keep it below 80. On a recent trip of 500 miles and the cruise set @70 I got 52mpg all hi way.
The exhaust and tune made this this little diesel a new car to drive. 37 more HP and 125 extra in the torque dept.
Coming from a pair of acura TL's it is still a dog but at least I can keep going with this one and get pretty much as much power as the acura if I want to keep dropping coin. I can see this one costing me if I weally want to.
I do like the new regal tourx and they are really giving some great deals on them now.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
Remember, in 2007/8 folks abandoned their large SUV's because gas spiked to $4 a gallon and they got terrible mileage. Now a Rav4 or CRV is on par mileage wise with most mid-sized sedans. I think my Mazda CUV gets better mileage than the Buick TourX. Hell even Chevy's new diesel Silverado brodozer of a pickup is expected to get 33 mpg combined. For sure the market for large trucks and SUVs could totally collapse with a coming recession, but it won't be because of gas mileage concerns.
Not sure of your source for the 33mpg combined on the diesel Silverado but information from Chevy has it at 33mpg HIGHWAY. That still appears to be quite good. At least for the sometimes optimistic EPA rating.

But as they say, "Your mileage may vary"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-fuel-economy/
Old 08-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Sort of sad to hear that VW is killing wagons, especially since I just traded in my '16 GSW S. It was reasonably fun to drive, great on gas (saw over 40mpg occasionally) but had no safety features like lane keeping and also what I came to find were pretty uncomfortable seats for the longer daily commute I just started. Traded it toward a '19 volvo V60 wagon in the more affordable T5 FWD set up. Thx to volvo for keeping wagons on life support here. There is a reason people say their seats are the best in the business. It gets decent mpg for a 2-ton car in conservative highway driving~70-75m/hr getting low 30's.

I think/hope the T5 powertrain should be more reliable and less costly to own over time than their higher output offerings and I don't need AWD where I live (really unless you're in the upper mid-west, who does need it?) Only concern in the first few months is that the ipad style head unit has already glitched out and had to have it's software re-installed at the dealer. Less than confidence-inspiring especially since they pretty much eliminated all buttons and knobs from the dashboard on these cars now. So far it's a joy to drive though, and I'm proud to still be carrying the long roof torch.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy View Post
Sort of sad to hear that VW is killing wagons, especially since I just traded in my '16 GSW S. It was reasonably fun to drive, great on gas (saw over 40mpg occasionally) but had no safety features like lane keeping and also what I came to find were pretty uncomfortable seats for the longer daily commute I just started. Traded it toward a '19 volvo V60 wagon in the more affordable T5 FWD set up. Thx to volvo for keeping wagons on life support here. There is a reason people say their seats are the best in the business. It gets decent mpg for a 2-ton car in conservative highway driving~70-75m/hr getting low 30's.

I think/hope the T5 powertrain should be more reliable and less costly to own over time than their higher output offerings and I don't need AWD where I live (really unless you're in the upper mid-west, who does need it?) Only concern in the first few months is that the ipad style head unit has already glitched out and had to have it's software re-installed at the dealer. Less than confidence-inspiring especially since they pretty much eliminated all buttons and knobs from the dashboard on these cars now. So far it's a joy to drive though, and I'm proud to still be carrying the long roof torch.
Yes, but will it fit a bicycle in back? The old V-60 wouldn't.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:12 PM

If we're already conceding a back seat being folded down, the regular Golf and GTI hatchbacks will eat bikes. No need for the wagon.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
If we're already conceding a back seat being folded down, the regular Golf and GTI hatchbacks will eat bikes. No need for the wagon.
but on GTI, don't you have to take the front wheel out? that is kind of annoying. On the wagon you can just roll it on there.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
How big a bike do you ride?

I could swallow 2 of my 54's with both wheels on in my parents 2016 V60 no problem. There were a few fun trips to the bike trail with 2 bikes on the roof and 2 inside

My 2012 S60 will fit a bike with the front wheel off and seats down
Old 08-08-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
No, the Golf/GTI hatchback may take a small size bike without fenders with at least one if not two wheels off with the back seat down. If you want to put a 60cm bike with full metal fenders in the back without any hassles, you need the space of a wagon at least the interior size of the Golf / Alltrack. The previous model Audi Allroad's too small; the previous gen V-60 is too small; the previous gen BMW 3-series wagon is too small.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
How big a bike do you ride?

I could swallow 2 of my 54's with both wheels on in my parents 2016 V60 no problem. There were a few fun trips to the bike trail with 2 bikes on the roof and 2 inside

My 2012 S60 will fit a bike with the front wheel off and seats down
59 cm for the 700C bikes, 60 cm for the 650B bikes, all sporting full metal fenders. Like this one:

And taking the front wheel off is of no help. If anything, it's worse (you're very likely to damage the front fender).

Last edited by palincss; 08-08-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
So far have only put road bikes in but yes, front wheels on there is plenty of room in the back. I agree, I was scoping the previous generation prior to pulling the trigger on this one and was put off by the lack of room for a bike in back. That and if I can't lay down in it without my feet hitting the back, not interested.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
59 cm for the 700C bikes, 60 cm for the 650B bikes, all sporting full metal fenders. Like this one:

And taking the front wheel off is of no help. If anything, it's worse (you're very likely to damage the front fender).
What wagon(s) will that fit in? Similar size to my wife's bike (she's a bit taller) and the only wagon that would accommodate her fendered commuter was an Outback.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:57 PM

I used to be the guy shoving my bikes in the back of my car, until I realized I have OCD and hated dirtying up my head liner...

Used roof rack setups are all over the VW forums and craigslist. Just get a roof rack and slap your bike up top!

I test drove a Volvo XC90 before I bought my F80M3 sedan. I also bought a VW TDI wagon for commuting and bike duties. I'm selling my M3 and it's super hard to part with the TDI wagon. I'm getting 45+ MPG daily with my short commute. I just love the modern technology of the BMW (Bluetooth, Heads up display, Lane warning, etc). I kind of want to combine them both and get the Volvo XC90, but giving up the TDI wagon is tough!

I also read bad reviews of the XC90 and electrical issues. I'm sure Volvo has worked them out with the later models. Never buy a car in it's first couple of years of production..