Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 05:57 PM

MIPS or Meh?

Just read the entry on helmets.org regarding MIPS technology. Luke warm on the efficacy. I've tried one MIPS helmet and wasn't impressed. Thoughts?

https://helmets.org/mips.htm
Old 11-15-2017, 06:20 PM

There are two types of crashes. Those where your head hits the ground nearly perpendicular and those where you slide a lot.

In those where you slide a lot there is a chance that the helmet can catch on the ground and jerk your neck. This can be very bad.

I think the risk of the second is low enough, and normal helmets are slidy enough, that I'd rather have the aero and breathability benefits of a normal helmet over a MIPS.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 PM

the idea makes sense

I've had 6 "minor" hits to my head that dazed me or slightly worse. That has been enough to add up to some balance issues. I know I'll fall, it happens with riding, so it is worth it to me to potentially decrease the brain rattle when it happens. Trying to get my boys into riding too now so they will get MIPS helmets under the tree this year
Old 11-15-2017, 06:37 PM

Mips

I have one- I hope to never find out if it works.

Last edited by John H.; 11-15-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

On Monday night I crashed pretty hard on my MTB while wearing a MIPs helmet. The helmet cracked, and I've got some surface bruising just below my hairline of the right side of my face. But no concussion.

The rest of my body is a different story. So far, no broken bones as far as I can tell, but the rash and bruising really, really sucks. Maybe its just that I'm old.. But dang, it was a doozy.

By the way, I had been wondering whether it sucks more to crash a motorcycle at speed on the race track, or a mountain bike going downhill on singletrack at speed. Having now done both, I can without question affirm that crashing on a mountain bike sucks more.

My new helmet will be another MIPs model, 6D brand (I bought a 6D for my son) or Leatt brand.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:51 PM

sorry to hear this

Recovering myself--it does stink. I rode twice this week--still very sore, but the loss of fitness stinks as well--was doing a race this weekend. Be cautious--my initial x-ray was read as "normal" but a week later it still hurt (more than just banged up soreness) so I went back and they got CT that showed 3 broken ribs and pneumothorax.
I don't know that brand, but I'm getting MIPS helmets for the boys for x-mas so am checking them out--was planning on Giro Montaro until I saw your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
On Monday night I crashed pretty hard on my MTB while wearing a MIPs helmet.
My new helmet will be another MIPs model, 6D brand (I bought a 6D for my son) or Leatt brand.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:54 PM
The B!

my decision whether to go MIPS or not came down to the fact that the system requires sizing up from small.. and the next shell size up just looks that much stupider on my head.

"That's gonna be a 'no' from me, dawg."
Old 11-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
Be cautious--my initial x-ray was read as "normal" but a week later it still hurt (more than just banged up soreness) so I went back and they got CT that showed 3 broken ribs and pneumothorax.
Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, I'm having a hard time lifting my right arm over my shoulder. No stinging or sharp pain, more of a dull pain consistent with the pain in my bruised up leg (landed on rocks), but if the pain is still there in a few days, I'll go in for X-rays/MRI...
Old 11-15-2017, 07:15 PM

I am a fan.

Here's my two week old Spec lid after a dog stopped in front of me. Saved may bacon:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 PM

OK for MTB

Quote:
On Monday night I crashed pretty hard on my MTB while wearing a MIPs helmet. The helmet cracked, and I've got some surface bruising just below my hairline of the right side of my face. But no concussion.

The rest of my body is a different story. So far, no broken bones as far as I can tell, but the rash and bruising really, really sucks. Maybe its just that I'm old.. But dang, it was a doozy.

By the way, I had been wondering whether it sucks more to crash a motorcycle at speed on the race track, or a mountain bike going downhill on singletrack at speed. Having now done both, I can without question affirm that crashing on a mountain bike sucks more.

Looks like it could be a good option for MTB but I am sure I would not wear one of these on the road
Old 11-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Looks like it could be a good option for MTB but I am sure I would not wear one of these on the road
Yeah, the 6D and the Leatt would work for MTB but not road. For road I use a Giro Savant w/MIPS. For Snow I use a Giro Union w/MIPS.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I am a fan.

Here's my two week old Spec lid after a dog stopped in front of me. Saved may bacon:

[IMG][/IMG]
Yikes! Hope you're otherwise OK.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Just don't tighten your helmet straps to much and you get most of the same benefit that MIPS provides. You want the helmet just slightly loose so that it can move around just a little. It's all a tradeoff though. I will probably get MIPS on my next helmet, but hopefully that will be a couple years or more. I don't buy a new one until my existing one wears out or cracks.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Yikes! Hope you're otherwise OK.
Yep, dazed and confused but no head trauma. Lost my favorite vecchios bibs and needed a new handlebar. Butt and elbow still carry the scars, but I am fine and attribute much of that to my helmet, mips or no mips.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Synthe MIPS

I have a Synthe Mips. Haven't 'tested' it yet. Wore it all last summer. Doesn't seem any hotter than the Atmos it replaced. I think I like the extra peace of mind.

Oh. And. I've actually 'tested' an Atmos - non-Mips. It worked fine.

Mike in AR