Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 01:32 AM

And Beverly Hills just became the first city in the nation to ban the sale of all tobacco products. Now if we could just follow suit in Glendale...good luck with that.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
And Beverly Hills just became the first city in the nation to ban the sale of all tobacco products. Now if we could just follow suit in Glendale...good luck with that.
How about 'vape' and similar products? They are not 'tobacco' per say but are much more addictive than tobacco due to their method of YUGE influx of nicotine, plus they 'taste' like fruit and such...MUCH bigger problem..a study here says that 25% of HS juniors and seniors are REGULAR users of Juul type products.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:18 PM

I always thought this was an interesting (and odd) thread. “Smoking cyclists” seems like an oxymoron. But nicotine is a powerful addictive.

The FDA is planning on (or hoping to) slash the amount of nicotine in cigarettes in order to make them less addictive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/21/h...igarettes.html

Unsurprisingly, the nicotine companies think that plan constitutes illegal government overreach.

“Altria and RAI Services have previously warned that a standard that makes tobacco unappealing to adult smokers would be considered a cigarette ban and would violate tobacco control laws.

“Both an express and a de facto ban would have precisely the same effect — both would eviscerate Congress’s expressly stated purpose ‘to permit the sale of tobacco products to adults,’” according to a letter in 2018 from RAI Services to the F.D.A. about an earlier proposal.”
Old 06-22-2022, 04:25 PM

I do not smoke cigarettes or vape. There is a smoking product I use, occasionally. It is green, sticky and it stinks.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:40 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
How about 'vape' and similar products? They are not 'tobacco' per say but are much more addictive than tobacco due to their method of YUGE influx of nicotine, plus they 'taste' like fruit and such...MUCH bigger problem..a study here says that 25% of HS juniors and seniors are REGULAR users of Juul type products.
Looks like the feds are going to kick juul off the market too.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
I do not smoke cigarettes or vape. There is a smoking product I use, occasionally. It is green, sticky and it stinks.
You missed that post by five minutes
Old 06-23-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeclips View Post
Depends on the time zone
Old 06-23-2022, 05:12 AM
It's Polly!

Got the PTSD real bad, and consequently a medical cannabis card was issued. Not proud of it, but thought it was kind of cool at first. Fast forward two years and now I've quit. I was tired of being stoned and lazy. For what its worth, it did not seem to affect my performance, but it did cause me to cough up some pretty interesting shapes...

It's been 6 months, and I'm still yakking up clam chowder.

I feel better. It helped with my problem, but what I found was that it didnt really truly help, rather it just made me not give a fyork about whatever was bothering me at the time. Anyway, despite the rattle I still have in my lungs, I feel better and look better. I took a look in the mirror and didnt like what I saw and said enough is enough. That crap was dragging me down, bigtime!
Old 06-23-2022, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeclips View Post
Wrong time zone, and currently, not inhaling.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:35 AM

I'm an ex-smoker. I smoked on-and-off from my mid 20s to mid 30s. I used to joke that giving up smoking was easy; I'd done it loads of times.

Like many here, I was well aware of the likely long--term consequences of my habit, but (from both personal experience and scientific consensus) nicotine is tremendously addictive, especially to those with a genetic predisposition. The psychological aspects of the addiction are also hard to re-wire, as it were.

Giving up really isn't an easy thing to do. Many smokers genuinely want to, but find it too difficult. In this way, telling a smoker 'just stop' isn't terribly helpful, however well intentioned. Addiction to anything is a complex matter.

I'm not saying accept smoking in public, but a little empathy goes a long way.

I vaped as a transition, for which it worked very well and for which the NHS in the UK recommends it, and will still have the odd/occasional drag. I accept this is less than ideal, but it is likely better than smoking and I'd regard it as my only vice (not sure my wife would agree!)
Old 06-23-2022, 07:10 AM

40% of our population is obese, 2/3rds overweight, but 12.5% smoke cigarettes (down from 20.9% in 2005) so the FDA wants to reduce the the amount of nicotine in cigarettes....brilliant!
Old 06-23-2022, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
40% of our population is obese, 2/3rds overweight, but 12.5% smoke cigarettes (down from 20.9% in 2005) so the FDA wants to reduce the the amount of nicotine in cigarettes....brilliant!
Yes, because obviously we can't address nicotine addiction for the 12.5% of the population who has it until we fully eradicate obesity.

Do you think the FDA should be regulating calorie intake instead? SMDH.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:09 AM

Cigarettes no.

Cannabis? I prefer to vaporize flower and concentrates, but will roll a joint from time to time.

All the data I’ve seen on driving and cannabis consumption indicates that while not advisable, it is nowhere near as dangerous as driving after drinking or taking opioid pain killers.

Alcohol and cigarettes are far worse for society than thc.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
Yes, because obviously we can't address nicotine addiction for the 12.5% of the population who has it until we fully eradicate obesity.

But, they could regulate something like the amount of trans-fats in foods, for example
Old 06-23-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post

Sure, why not? If we're going to be a nanny nation lets also tax the foods with high percentages of sugar or corn syrup at the same rate we tax tobacco. The folks who are addicted to overeating should pay for the burden they place on our health care system.