Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Stop the madness!

Sorry, for this post, but the truth is that I have few face to face outlets to throw down and I alway find the posts of the forumites to have a calming effect on me. By the way, I rode an exercise bike at a hotel yesterday....ho hum

But here's my beef, you may know I served in the invasion of Iraq, let's not get into all the aspects of this now. However, I am finally fed up with the "Bush and the general's are balloonheads but, doggone it, I support the troops" position adopted by just about everyone. Look, I have big problems with the whole misadventure, but it just chaps my a$$ when people adopt this position. To wit, a quote from Speaker Pelosi:
"This is a failure. This is a failure. The troops have succeeded, God bless them. We owe them the greatest debt of gratitude for their sacrifice, their patriotism, and for their courage and to their families as well."
She may be sincere but which troops does she want God to Bless? Just the privates and lance corporals? Are sergeants OK to support? What about me, I was a company commander with, one assumes, a larger understanding of the mission?
I guess my point is that after five years of this, the "I support the troops but think the mission is a failure" folks are basically saying, "we can't blame the troops (are the general's and colonel's troops?) they are just mindless automatons who really must follow orders all the time." It's condescending and is getting old. Hey I am just as supportive of folks who get deployed, many are my friends and former Marines, maybe it's just when the position is taken by public type folks to defend their position. Many may find it shocking, but much of the war is planned, adjusted, reevaluated and carried out without White House input on the best employment of a machine gun at at map grid 123456. My guess is that most troops on the ground would rather that politicians just said nothing rather than, "hey, I think you poor, misguided creatures are just peaches, too bad you just can't sit around baking cupcakes al day!"
It's warfare, folks.
For myself, I support the good folks in elected office, It's just the dam government that so screwed up.....

Sorry for the rant...I did buy a 1" Nitto stem this week!!!