Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Best of luck with the RR - not being snarky...I hope you get miles of smiles out of it.
Thank you. This is my first LR and definitely did my research. I fully understand I may end up stranded at some point. I have a very short commute for daily driving. I got into this with eyes open and not much investment, so I’m pretty happy and excited about it.....for now!
Old 06-06-2020, 08:36 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparshall View Post
Thank you. This is my first LR and definitely did my research. I fully understand I may end up stranded at some point. I have a very short commute for daily driving. I got into this with eyes open and not much investment, so I’m pretty happy and excited about it.....for now!
I like the LR3 cuz it has those rear windows that wrap onto the roof that remind of the old Discovery, which reminds me of my old Bronco II (first car).

Totally get where you're coming from...cool car, committed to doing the maintenance and repairs...eyes wide open. Feel the same way about getting my X5

Enjoy!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:52 PM

Here's one from today. 14 mile trail (Cleghorn trail) - pretty EZ, June Gloom in full effect.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:05 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Cleghorn is a fun trail! Looks nice
Old 06-06-2020, 11:33 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I believe that's the best, even for a heavy built 80. I'm on d-rated AT's now

If I did a lot of rocks, like Dusy Ershim, Rubicon and the like I think the E rated Toyos offer a ton of protection from rips and cuts. Otherwise, I feel like most lighter MT or AT's are great. For my uses now, I'm happy with AT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
ahhh..........yeah that makes sense. Mine are d-rated
Old 06-06-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Cleghorn is a fun trail! Looks nice
Yeah it was a fun day to go out.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashae View Post
'14 LC. Love it.

Wait that's yours? Seen it around town. I have the LX version, 2015:

Old 06-08-2020, 04:10 PM

I had an 87 FJ60 for years, no pictures on this cellphone, and loved its simplicity, reliability, and off road performance. It's ability to climb rough rutted trails and roads in 4 low was really impressive. Unfortunately it averaged around 12mpg around town and 16 on the highways downhill with a tailwind. It was replaced by a 2002 4Runner that gets considerably better mileage per gallon, hauls plenty of gear, and is just as good if not better off road. I really like the 4Runner but miss the standard transmission, handcranked windows, and simple climate controls of the old FJ. I also drive a 2017 4Runner Limited, her vehicle, and am not impressed. It's a really nice vehicle but has too many blind spots and electronic gimmicks for my liking. I miss the old days when 4wheel drive vehicles were designed for rural use and not as a substitute for minivans. Anyone known of a good deal on a FJ55 project vehicle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0205.jpeg (114.8 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0313.jpeg (107.3 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_img_20180416_122919354_hdr.jpg (121.4 KB, 271 views)
Old 06-08-2020, 04:32 PM
DELETE ACCNT

from experience, the 2017 is more capable in every regard over the 3rd gen. 3rd gen is still a great suv.

You won't find any iron pigs for sale for a good deal. too rare.
Check on the Mud forum, maybe one will pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I had an 87 FJ60 for years, no pictures on this cellphone, and loved its simplicity, reliability, and off road performance. It's ability to climb rough rutted trails and roads in 4 low was really impressive. Unfortunately it averaged around 12mpg around town and 16 on the highways downhill with a tailwind. It was replaced by a 2002 4Runner that gets considerably better mileage per gallon, hauls plenty of gear, and is just as good if not better off road. I really like the 4Runner but miss the standard transmission, handcranked windows, and simple climate controls of the old FJ. I also drive a 2017 4Runner Limited, her vehicle, and am not impressed. It's a really nice vehicle but has too many blind spots and electronic gimmicks for my liking. I miss the old days when 4wheel drive vehicles were designed for rural use and not as a substitute for minivans. Anyone known of a good deal on a FJ55 project vehicle?
Old 06-08-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post

Our neighbor has a twin to yours! Out of character, it just spent 3 weeks in the shop sorting out a random, intermittent no-start issue. Turned out to be an ignition module that communicates with the key. A spilled drink took it out.

By the way, great to see you posting again! Hope you're doing well!

Quote:
Beautiful shots of your 4Runner!

Texbike
Old 06-08-2020, 05:58 PM
ZhugeLiang

Sold my Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra a couple of weeks ago to a gentleman who came by the house on a FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser. Apparently he and his wife have traveled all over the world on their "landship"...

"They drove across the U.S., Mexico, Southeast Asia, central and western China, the ‘Stans, Russia, Eurasia, Northern Africa, and Europe. Nicknamed the “Landship”, their truck propelled them through profound life experiences, creating extraordinary stories along the way."

https://www.instagram.com/landshiplife/?hl=en
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lamdship.jpg (84.8 KB, 368 views)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I had a 1999 4Runner just like that, followed by 4 more 4Runners and a 2001 Series LC...great SUVs...
Old 06-17-2020, 12:54 PM
chp.qa

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post

Indeed Small village we live in!
Old 06-18-2020, 09:00 AM

1992 FJ80. This poor truck was used, abused, rode hard put up wet, not maintained, or if it was maintained it was done very poorly for 190,000 miles. I think it leaked from every seal except the front main and head gasket. Luckily I have soft spot for old toyotas and added this one to the mix. No crazy build here, just maintenance....a lot of maintenance. Added a TJM 2" lift and 315 duratracs on 16" pro comp steel wheels.

IMG_0445 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/188951620@N02/]
IMG_0363 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/188951620@N02/]
IMG_0446 by Ryan Franklin, on Flickr
Old 06-18-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST165 View Post
1992 FJ80. This poor truck was used, abused, rode hard put up wet, not maintained, or if it was maintained it was done very poorly for 190,000 miles. I think it leaked from every seal except the front main and head gasket. Luckily I have soft spot for old toyotas and added this one to the mix. No crazy build here, just maintenance....a lot of maintenance. Added a TJM 2" lift and 315 duratracs on 16" pro comp steel wheels.

IMG_0445 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/188951620@N02/]
IMG_0363 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/188951620@N02/]
IMG_0446 by Ryan Franklin, on Flickr
Good work bringing it back to life!