Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 AM

More productive to beat your head against the wall

Here's proof it will never change:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-com...-own-quiet-car

No one else really cares, the above mentioned individuals did and they were nuked. Apparently its more productive for you and your buddies to arm yourselves to the teeth and take over a federal bird sanctuary to bring your grievances about to cost of cattle grazing on federal property to light (sarcasm)

Sell your road bikes to an unsuspecting rube and go gravel/dirt. You'll feel more relaxed and not be looking over your shoulder waiting for some over-scheduled super Mom to run you down
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Cellphone companies and car companies_could_solve the issue through technology. They simply don't want to, or don't see the upside unless every carrier and car company did. I also wonder if a company tried to address it would that somehow open the door to legal responsibility, for example being sued by the family of someone killed by a texting driver, where the family could claim the company was aware of the dangers yet did nothing to stop it.

It's a huge abdication of responsibility on the parts of carriers and car companies, and I wonder how they live with themselves. But in reality, only self-driving cars will address the issue because too many people believe their right to text supersedes the right of others to live.
With the comm companies pumping YUGE bribes into congress, don't expect any laws anytime soon disabling cell phones in moving cars..ain't gonna happen.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Automated cars are not an answer. I'm amazed that anyone would actually want that for the future.
Why are you amazed? What's so great about people behind the wheel of cars?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:27 AM

Currently watching CBS Morning News.
Very often there is a story about distracted driving. Almost daily is a repeat of James Corden and his ignorant Carpool Karaoke.

Law enforcement? Come on.
I live in a town where hundreds of "We Support Police" signs dot the landscape.
I want the police to support me and enforce the laws, but they don't seem interested.
Twice last year I was almost picked off by a car rolling through a stop sign. Once I was in the marked crosswalk on foot; the other on my bike. Both incidents happened in plain view of a cop sitting in his patrol vehicle in the local high school parking lot.

Conversation with Chief of Police about high number of improperly licensed cars yielded the reply "oh, there are just so many laws to enforce" and a request to patrol the mothers talking on phones while picking up their kiddies at the grade school yielded "do you have any idea how crowded the City Council meeting would be if we did that?".
Old 08-01-2017, 07:32 AM

They can't even enforce red light running around here, so I don't expect much in the way of text violation enforcement.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM

If only there were a way to some how possess an innate mental capacity capable of thinking beyond one's own self interests... to the human race.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
and people still bust my balls about spending time on the local MUT...
You'll get no grief from me for riding MUT's. That's about the only place I ride my roadie anymore. And I take sidewalks to get there.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Administrator

I don't buy the "it's not worth talking about because nothing will ever happen" line of thought. No one did much about drinking and driving until a bunch of Mother's who were touched by it got together to do something about it...and it didn't happen over night. We're four pages in so it does touch peoples lives and thoughts of safety for the activity we enjoy.

It's going to be a slow road but people DO need to talk about and call others out who do it. Yes, things probably won't change quickly until enough people are affected but I think it will eventually come around. Now, maybe not with driverless cars, but I'm not so sure that is a close as many people think...I mean a decade and a half ago we were all supposed to be in flying cars.

Sticking you head in the sand about it WILL DO absolutely nothing.

William
Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 AM

CT does. Gotta have earpiece or use the radio/bluetooth connection only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularguy412 View Post
I think I heard on the radio that NY state has this law in place now. Hopefully, they'll enforce that!

Mike in AR
Old 08-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Automated cars are not an answer. I'm amazed that anyone would actually want that for the future.

And yes it will continue to get worse because it is being socially engineered into a whole generation. The distracted driving is but a small part of where it all goes. Defensive driving/riding takes on a whole new meaning these days...
I'm saying in 10 years, there won't be a human alive that can drive more safely than an automated car.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 PM

maybe in my lifetime we'll see the phasing out of internal combustion motors. hope not. ain't no replacement for displacement.....tesla's incredible 2-point-something second launch to 60 mph notwithstanding...
Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
maybe in my lifetime we'll see the phasing out of internal combustion motors. hope not. ain't no replacement for displacement.....tesla's incredible 2-point-something second launch to 60 mph notwithstanding...
Will never happen. Heavy freight trucks, travelling salespeople, account reps; mining companies, logging companies, people that want to travel more than 300 miles from where they live ........

Some forms of Hybrid (like railway locomotives), but Ic gone? Nope.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM

It's already starting:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1AB0U5

Displacement, indeed.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
CT does. Gotta have earpiece or use the radio/bluetooth connection only.
In CT, my ex wife got nabbed twice in 6 mos, by police for for talking on her phone w/o an earpiece.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:34 PM

the sad part is that distracted drivers are talking / texting about stuff that is completely trivial...

it's not like they're contacting someone with vital, life/death info...they're blabbing about inane crap that doesn't matter to anyone.

they're just addicted to be 'connected'...ugh.