Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2024, 04:14 AM

Heart issues

I have read of folks having heart issues in this forum. I guess the bell tolls for me. Morning after a 3 hour session on rollers I have no pulse - woke up with heart aflutter. Ended later in the day. Now I can do steady state and intervals. All is steady but afterwards - I miss a beat. The skip is regular - 1 thru 4 and miss. 1 thru 4 and miss. Sometimes 1-8 and miss, 1-8 and miss. The other day the miss was before I worked out. But when I get going all is well. And sometimes I work out and all is normal afterwards.

Seeing Dr. now. Have to wear some monitor when it arrives. "Go to ER if flutter happens again" was the word. Puts a pinch of fear in me. All was ok until covid hit me over Christmas. Kind of wonder if there might be something to that. Also have complete right bundle bunch block which also might factor in. Am also getting older (67) so there is that.

Anyone go through this kind of thing? Thanks in advance. I am just beginning the Dr., professional "what is happening" approach.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:54 AM

Yes; I went through something similar. I just fell apart on the bike although I didn't experience the flutter, just the missing beats. My doctor said if I weren't an athlete I probably wouldn't have noticed it and it wouldn't have been an issue.

The missing beats are called Wenckebach Heart Block.

I have a pacemaker implanted. It took a year for the cardiac doc to get it to work after a lot of expensive testing, all for want of one lousy checkbox in the software! If that happens to you, tell the doc to change the state of the PMTI,
Pacemaker Mediated Tachycardia Intervention.

Tip: If you go to the E.R., tell them you have heart issues. You'll get the Platinum treatment, even though you'll probably be fine in all appearances to them. That's what my PCP told me to do. I was treated faster than any dictator!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1523.jpg (52.5 KB, 524 views)

Last edited by Peter P.; 03-05-2024 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

First Afib episode in 2009...ER, meds and it self converted in about 12 hours.
Second episode about 6 months later-cardio-version. Think 'clear' and get zapped altho it much more controlled than that.

Nothing till 2019 and then frequent afib/A-Flutter episodes that resulted in an ablation in June 2020.

Afib essentially an irregular and rapid heart rate. A-Flutter, at least for me was a regular but rapid rhythm...120-140bpm.

Nothing until Labor Day this year2023...then here we go again...

Two ablations, 4 cardio versions(one in ER)...a stint with rapid heart rate and pulmonary edema(fluid in lungs with very high HR-Scary)...landed me in the cardiac ICU. NOT SVT, Ventricular Tachycardia...normal blood pressure but Atrial Tachycardia.

Some nausea, vomit, and some of that 'bug' got into my lungs-Pneumonia.

BUT...Now, after my last ablation in December 15th and being on Tikosyn and Metoprolol..all working just fine and dandy.

I guess my point is that Afib and A-Flutter NOT uncommon. A Flutter much more difficult to 'fix'...With a GOOD heart doc, meds and maybe ablation...you can be normal, normal.

DO NOT ignore.

BTW-Just had a scan for cardiac Amyloids. Results were 'zero'. No cardiac Amyloids. A good thing.

BUT, listen to your doc, take the meds, and

"Everything will be Ok in the end.
And if it's not OK, it's not the end"
Quote:
If you go to the E.R., tell them you have heart issues. You'll get the Platinum treatment, even though you'll probably be fine in all appearances to them. That's what my PCP told me to do. I was treated faster than any dictator!
NO doubt about that and altho a lot of AFIB is 'small s' serious...not necessarily life threatening, it can be. If they prescribe a anti coagulant(I take Eliquis)..take it..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-05-2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:08 AM
Proud Grandpa

As an aside....MY AFIB/A-Flutter most likely caused by alcohol and caffeine so none of either any more. Not even Decaf coffee or NA beer since both still have some of the 'bad stuff' for me.

Do I miss it? You bet I do but going thru the above again not worth it..
Old 03-05-2024, 08:13 AM

I experienced a heart incident about six years ago. Was in the hospital for a week as they tried to figure it out. Eventually a stent was put in and I was ready to go. There are two more inclusions that may or may not get bigger, but need to be monitored.

Physically healing was easy. The after effects of the medication limits what I can do but at least I can ride my bike.

The part nobody talks about is the psychological aspect at least for me. In my cardiac class we were taught about eating, exercise and lifestyle changes, they never addressed the trauma of having a heart attack. As a therapist, I brought this up and they said they definitely needed a program but there was no money to run one.

So I opened up my practice to include those who have experienced heart issues. We examine what happens to them emotionally and what happens to all those connected to the person. For some it is really helpful, for others they need time to process it and then decide the direction they want to go.

Not everyone needs this but keep it in mind as you go through your healing process. (BTW, not advert, there are legal implications for me in who I can counsel)

Good luck with your healing, the body and the mind.

Lets be clear I am biased because of working in mental health so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:44 AM

I developed SVT in my late-30s (47 now). Started out only during high-intensity rides (crits, short/hard intervals) but started appearing more often. Thankfully, it was easily triggered on the treadmill at the clinic, and fixed with ablation a few weeks after diagnosis (and failed attempt at fixing with medication). It was scary, but at least it wasn't VT or Afib or something worse.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:05 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Could be benign PVCs. Don't assume the worst.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20376757
Old 03-06-2024, 07:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
I experienced a heart incident about six years ago. Was in the hospital for a week as they tried to figure it out. Eventually a stent was put in and I was ready to go. There are two more inclusions that may or may not get bigger, but need to be monitored.

Physically healing was easy. The after effects of the medication limits what I can do but at least I can ride my bike.

The part nobody talks about is the psychological aspect at least for me. In my cardiac class we were taught about eating, exercise and lifestyle changes, they never addressed the trauma of having a heart attack. As a therapist, I brought this up and they said they definitely needed a program but there was no money to run one.

So I opened up my practice to include those who have experienced heart issues. We examine what happens to them emotionally and what happens to all those connected to the person. For some it is really helpful, for others they need time to process it and then decide the direction they want to go.

Not everyone needs this but keep it in mind as you go through your healing process. (BTW, not advert, there are legal implications for me in who I can counsel)

Good luck with your healing, the body and the mind.

Lets be clear I am biased because of working in mental health so take what I say with a grain of salt.
No doubt about that. A form of PTSD, and addressed by some on my heart 'team'. But, with ya everyday, all day..the worry.

Tough on me and tough on my wife.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:52 AM

Sorry to hear about your episodes. I had a number of them starting in my 30's and finally had an ablation 2yrs ago (at 46). Initially docs suggested caffeine and alcohol were triggers, but after eliminating both I still had episodes. Turns out mine are almost always related to dehydration and lack of sleep....which can coincide with alcohol consumption, but not always. I pay much closer attention to signals now as I can almost always feel it coming on and generally can steer clear.

Definitely listen to your docs and get second opinions if it doesn't feel right. Hope you get it handled and under control!
Old 03-06-2024, 11:29 AM
Older Than You

I had intermittent A-Fib from 1980 till 2008 when it became permanent. A failed ablation resulted in a pacemaker implant. This fixed the A-Fib but I kept having what felt like skips.

My electrophysiologist diagnosed this as PAC's. Premature atrial contractions. These can't be tuned out with the pacemaker. They come randomly, during exercise or at rest. Metoprolol does help some.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:55 PM

How could you have no pulse tho?

Since my early 20's I have noticed irregular beats particularly when I start an endurance type event. IT sort of 'works itself out' and I just keep going. Doc basically said similar to one above, that if I was not an athlete I would probably not notice it. It's definitely weird though.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:46 PM

If you haven't already, you should check out Lennard Zinn's book, "The Haywire Heart: How too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart"
Old 03-07-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_velo View Post
If you haven't already, you should check out Lennard Zinn's book, "The Haywire Heart: How too much exercise can kill you, and what you can do to protect your heart"
This. My surgeon (for my knees) sent me to a cardiologist after noticing an arrhythmia. Then my employer (government) sent me to their cardiologist as well. Both agreed that I have "athlete's" heart. This book was very enlightening and helpful.
Old 03-08-2024, 03:03 AM
Byron

Thumbs up I don't give thumbs up, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
As an aside....MY AFIB/A-Flutter most likely caused by alcohol and caffeine so none of either any more. Not even Decaf coffee or NA beer since both still have some of the 'bad stuff' for me.

Do I miss it? You bet I do but going thru the above again not worth it..
I would if I could.
Well damn, that thumbs up thang worked after all.

Last edited by bironi; 03-08-2024 at 03:04 AM. Reason: stupidity
Old 03-09-2024, 07:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bironi View Post
I would if I could.
Well damn, that thumbs up thang worked after all.
Well, all about alternatives..after these last 6 months or so..pretty easy for me to stop all caffeine and alcohol. I even stopped using mouthwash with alcohol in it.
My laptop is spring loaded to "________ and afib" search...Strange things like ginger and cinnamon. All it took was being surrounded by docs and nurses during an episode of very high heart rate and not being able to breathe as my lungs filled with fluid....and being awake as they zapped me...no thanks..no mas.