Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 AM

Sagan on Discs Except for the Roubaix Stage

Due to potential wheel changes:|

Sagan said he will be racing on disc brakes throughout the Tour, but he is making an exception for the Roubaix stage because of concerns about swapping out wheels in case of a puncture or other mechanicals. Wheel changes can be a bit slower with disc brake-mounted wheels, but that concern is compounded over the cobblestones when punctures are more likely and chaos between team and neutral support ramps up out on the road.

Otherwise, Sagan said he is firmly committed to disc brakes in road racing.

Specialized-backed teams have already been racing with disc brakes since last year.

“You have more control when you are braking with the top speed,” Sagan said. “You have control on the speed and the bike, especially in the wet.”

“I was racing at the Tour de Suisse with the disc brakes, and I can say it’s a big advantage,” he said. “There is a big difference [with braking] compared to the rim brakes.”

http://www.velonews.com/2018/07/tour...x-stage_471498

Don't disappoint me with your worst takes.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
“I was racing at the Tour de Suisse with the disc brakes, and I can say it’s a big advantage,” he said. “There is a big difference [with braking] compared to the rim brakes.”
Said a man whose livelihood depends on promoting the products of his sponsor (and said sponsor is committed to selling new disc brake bikes to consumers).
Old 07-06-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Wheel changes can be a bit slower with disc brake-mounted wheels...
This surprises me.

SPP
Old 07-06-2018, 09:41 AM

By coincidence, the limited-edition Sagan Collection S-Works Venge also has disc brakes.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/spec...s-works-venge/
Old 07-06-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
This surprises me.

SPP
Disc brake bikes now almost universally use through axles. Through axles have several advantages over QR skewers, but speed in wheel changes isn't among them.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:51 AM

I think if he could guarantee the proximity of his team car and a new bike, he would stay with discs. Not possible on the narrow cobbled roads.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 AM

Old 07-06-2018, 10:03 AM
aka RAEKWON

ok.... why don't they just use tubeless. No more punctures, no more wheel changes.... everyone is happy. No more bitching about disc brakes
Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
ok.... why don't they just use tubeless. No more punctures, no more wheel changes.... everyone is happy. No more bitching about disc brakes
Tubeless tires are no less prone to punctures than standard clinchers (or tubulars).

Perhaps you are referring to the common usage of sealant in tubeless tires - but sealant can be used in standard clincher tubes and tubulars as well (in fact, sealant was developed before tubeless tires existed. Regardless, sealant doesn't work with all punctures - sealant doesn't work with large holes and gashes. And in case the tire does go flat, tubeless tires often handle worse than standard clinchers when riding on a flat tire (and both tubeless and clinchers handle worse than tubulars when ridden flat).
Old 07-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I wonder if the pro teams use sealant in their tubulars.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Tubeless tires are no less prone to punctures than standard clinchers (or tubulars).

Perhaps you are referring to the common usage of sealant in tubeless tires - but sealant can be used in standard clincher tubes and tubulars as well (in fact, sealant was developed before tubeless tires existed. Regardless, sealant doesn't work with all punctures - sealant doesn't work with large holes and gashes. And in case the tire does go flat, tubeless tires often handle worse than standard clinchers when riding on a flat tire (and both tubeless and clinchers handle worse than tubulars when ridden flat).
but how many times are pro riders getting huge gashes during the grand tours?

and yes I meant sealant if they are so concerned about flats why not just use that.

Do agree that tubeless and flat is the worst of the 3.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post

I'm confused by some of your posts. Do you ride tubeless tires or no?
Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 AM

I just picked up the first bike I've ridden with cantis, since the mid '80s. I rode it in the rain and survived; I did get a ton of bugs in my teeth tho'. I guess I'll have to smile less when I'm on it.

Still, disc brakes on mtb have allowed me to do things at speeds that I would have otherwise definitely crashed out on...
Old 07-06-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Still, disc brakes on mtb have allowed me to do things at speeds that I would have otherwise definitely crashed out on...
But that's because disc brakes make sense on a MTB........they don't make (as much) sense on a road bike...........

Old 07-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Regardless of whether disc brakes should be on road bikes or not (they should), Sagan can ride w h a t e v e r he wants. He's not riding discs because Specialized told him to, he's riding them because he's a great bike rider and finds discs perform better for reasons.

Thru-axles/slow wheel changes are now a new design challenge.