Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2015, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
Can anyone recommend a light weight low profile ride wallet/ pouch that I can stick a tube, CO2, lever and inflater head in that can be tucked neatly into a jersey pocket? I hate saddle bags because they always seem to fall off or just look janky. I currently stash everything into a water bottle but I'm going to need the water bottle space for gatorade in another few weeks.

TIA!
Ziplock? I know it's been mentioned. I carried a wee pump in my pocket rather than on the bike..until I forgot it. Same for in pocket rather than wee bag under saddle, IMHO. Other issue right now here is really cool in the AM(when I start) and 30 degrees warmer when I finish so pockets stuffed full of all the crap I take off. No room for bag of stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72542-largest_1_Jandd.jpg (38.6 KB, 180 views)
Old 04-11-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
Ha! The rules... I had to go back and look at those!

That's a bummer about the bibs. How big was the saddle bag?!
Small bag - 25 cubic inches (the same bag OP posted above). Usually not an issue, but if the bag becomes tilted just a bit it rubs inside the thigh. Contact is slight enough that it is typically not felt, but eventually rubs through.

Last edited by parallelfish; 04-11-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Small bag - 25 cubic inches (the same bag OP posted above). Usually not an issue, but if the bag becomes tilted just a bit it rubs inside the thigh. Contact is slight enough that it is typically not felt, but eventually rubs through.
A small, rigid bag with a rigid attachment system, like the Topeak or Blackburn, should solve any issues with the bag shifting or tilting.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:36 AM

Timbuk2

Here's my current favorite: the Timbuk2 XT.

Narrow profile and snugs up nice and tight under the rails. And super easy to unhook and move between bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71vjteFaYZL._SL256_.jpg (7.9 KB, 175 views)
Old 04-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Recommend a ride wallet/ pouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
That is quite unfortunate. I have a trans-it saddle bag that is a fair amount larger than what the old spud posted. I haven't had an issue with it shifting or rubbing. Granted, I really cinch it down and I generally wear cut off Dickies or athletic shorts (I don't own any lycra or cycling specific clothes at all). The thicker material is probably not as easily affected if there is any rubbing.

www.deliberatelydomestic.com
Old 04-11-2015, 09:12 AM

I used to use a Timbuk2 saddle bag until I discovered the rubbing on my bibs. Moved over to the Scicon 230. Pretty small and attaches not using velcro nor on the seatpost itself. Love it.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:18 AM

Any of these bags should work fine...and I would be happy to assist with the contents.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Why in the world would vanity cause someone to not use something as practical as a saddle-bag?

You can be vain about your looks, your education, your family history, but the lack of a saddle-bag? What's so wonderful about that?
Some people like saddle bags and some people don't. No big deal. I personally don't like them because they fall off and I either have to zip tie them on or wait for the dumb thing to start dangling off my post and then shove it in my jersey pocket. When I rode Aliantes I would use the Fizik bags that clipped in and IMO that's the best design out there but I now ride Pro saddles so no more clip. I've also frayed a pair of shorts due to velcro from a saddle bag. Rules or not, I don't like saddle bags.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
Here's my current favorite: the Timbuk2 XT.

Narrow profile and snugs up nice and tight under the rails. And super easy to unhook and move between bikes.
Oh, and the best part -- no velcro.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:21 PM

I think the key to this whole discussion is if you plan on purchasing a pouch, what are you going to be using it for? If its for a phone and/or wallet, you only need something smaller like the Timbuk2 that's been mentioned. There are many other options.

If the idea is to replace a saddle bag--different story. You need something bigger. I have bought the Lenzyne bag. Its OK, like a heavy-duty Glad bag. Just recently purchased the Waterfield pouch. Very well made--like a new harness leather belt--and right size to hold everything. My concern with this leather pouch is how its going to feel against my back when its 90 degrees and 90% humidity. Nothing like a thick piece of leather sitting right on your sweaty back. From my perspective the Waterfield pouch in nylon would be best, but the manufacturer has indicated they are not going to produce this way.

I have purchased others--can't remember all the names--but so far seem to go back to the saddle bag. Should have a better idea on the Waterfield by end of summer.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:46 PM

Serious thread drift. I'm talking about replacing a saddle bag and not carrying a phone/ CC. Like I mentioned up thread, I already carry a Blackburn phone wallet. Just want a case for a tube, co2, lever and inflator head.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:15 PM
The B!

I'm seriously the only one who's lost stuff out of pockets on descent??

I've lost several tire levers, countless snacks, sunglasses, MONEY, and recently I lost my multi-tool - I at least knew that went, when it went, but I did not see where it slid and could not find it.

NO MORE!
Old 04-11-2015, 03:24 PM

Zippered pouch,

from the Home depot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1457.jpg (91.0 KB, 139 views)
Old 04-11-2015, 03:37 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
from the Home depot
I like this.

Some of my jersey pockets are too small, though. Problem of ordering everything online all the time... I have several jerseys that wouldn't even take that.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Bike Guy

Been using the Rapha Essentials Case with good success. Noticing a bit of leather fade but that is not surprising given how much it has been in sweaty jersey pockets.

Just ordered the small version of this because I am into what he is doing. MUSA and much cheaper than the Rapha case.

Tags
bag, flat repair, pouch, wallet