Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 05:34 AM

Serotta tubes and BB shell sought.

Morning all, I need to rebuild my CSi (pictures to follow), it’s been one of my favourite bikes and I’ve ridden it in the UK, around Europe and in the US so it has a lot of personal value to accompany the miles it’s done.

I’m now in need of a swaged downtube, seat tube and bottom bracket shell- said BB shell needs to be for 35mm tubes.

I seem to recall that Bilenky bought the swaging machines from Saratoga - is that correct or am I mistaken?

Even if they’d make me the correct tubes I’d still need a BB shell - would anyone have a lead for me?

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2019, 07:20 AM

Bronze that one and get a new one...seriously

If you've blown out a BB, seattube and downtube...willing to bet you've got a few other things going on. Plus the cost of the project. The CSI was a great bike, but....
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 AM

I've not crashed it, but to rebuild it to a perfect state is going to take those parts. Over here in the UK it's a very rare bike, so finding another is not straightforward.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:54 AM

Which problems do you actually have with the frame???

Do you have pictures? asking because here usually they swap tubes, in my country we used to repair the stuff when there was no chance to get the right tubes you know.... so what is wrong with the frame???
Old 10-11-2019, 08:57 AM

The seat tube has been replaced (when I first bought the frame) but the quality of the work wasn't perfect. The frame builder to whom I have given the frame says that to bring it back to perfect condition he'll need to replace seat stays, BB, seat tube, down tube.

That's obviously the perfectionist route - we have other options, essentially to replace fewer parts and simply wear it.

However, in the first instance I wanted to try to find all the parts, and then work backwards from there as it were.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

The seat tube has been replaced (when I first bought the frame) but the quality of the work wasn't perfect. The frame builder to whom I have given the frame says that to bring it back to perfect condition he'll need to replace seat stays, BB, seat tube, down tube.

That's obviously the perfectionist route - we have other options, essentially to replace fewer parts and simply wear it.

However, in the first instance I wanted to try to find all the parts, and then work backwards from there as it were.
So....do I understand this correctly?.....you want to replace the s-stays, BB shell, seat tube and down tube? If my basic math is correct that will leave only the c-stays and toptube/head tube of the original frame. You'd be replacing the vast majority of the frame and reusing tubes that have already been heated at least twice. With all due respect this makes zero sense. You in effect be building a new frame using mostly new and a few questionable used parts. You'd be so much better off mounting this wonderful bike on the wall and having a new one made with all new stuff and zero compromise.

Just my two cents.

dave
Old 10-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Thats the reason I asked for pictures because I cant imagine damage so bad, or so bad made fixes that the frame pretty much needs to be replaced completely. OP do you have pictures of the problem areas? Just cant picture the problems unless you have HD, UHD... 4k and who knows what else with a D in it thing which brings you to have everything perfect, in that case well... u know :P

Those CSI in your size are available, just check ebay those always pop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
So....do I understand this correctly?.....you want to replace the s-stays, BB shell, seat tube and down tube? If my basic math is correct that will leave only the c-stays and toptube/head tube of the original frame. You'd be replacing the vast majority of the frame and reusing tubes that have already been heated at least twice. With all due respect this makes zero sense. You in effect be building a new frame using mostly new and a few questionable used parts. You'd be so much better off mounting this wonderful bike on the wall and having a new one made with all new stuff and zero compromise.

Just my two cents.

dave
Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 PM

Grady/gomango had 58 cm for sale unfortunately. He does have a white one that may be a 57. Pics on his flickr link.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...89#post2322089

I'm not sure if azrider sold his 56 cm (same thread).

This 56 cm CRL is very nearly a CSI and dirt cheap at $150.

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bik...974145047.html

This looks to be a late 90s CSI, approximately the right size:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...987385274.html

Last edited by oliver1850; 10-11-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Grady/gomango had 58 cm for sale unfortunately. He does have a white one that may be a 57. Pics on his flickr link.

....]

This looks to be a late 90s CSI, approximately the right size:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...987385274.html
Thanks for confirmation--I couldn't find the original thread when he posted.

And that last one definitely looks bigger than a 54--I wish people could include more than one photo...

I do sympathize with the OP's original impulse too--I have my original bike that I raced--and it would cost more to restore it, than to buy a replacement that has retained it's original livery etc--and yet the desire to restore THE bike is hard to resist, even if it makes little sense economically--as if there were something that inheres in the original that would be lost by replacement...
Old 10-11-2019, 02:54 PM

Oh sorry to hear this Neil.
Esp after all this went through allrdy, is such a beautiful bike!

Hope you find something nice to replace it if you cant fix it.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:57 PM

I don't have anything to offer besides the fact I love your passion for your Serotta. I have it too. I still kick myself for letting go a mint Atlanta in the classic red/yellow fade years ago. Man, that was dumb. Had a T-Max mtb I let go too. Onyx/magenta fade. Just gorgeous. Young and dumb I guess. Anyway, good luck in your search for tubes or a different one altogether. Sucks the original Serotta is no more.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
Thanks for confirmation--I couldn't find the original thread when he posted.

And that last one definitely looks bigger than a 54--I wish people could include more than one photo...

I do sympathize with the OP's original impulse too--I have my original bike that I raced--and it would cost more to restore it, than to buy a replacement that has retained it's original livery etc--and yet the desire to restore THE bike is hard to resist, even if it makes little sense economically--as if there were something that inheres in the original that would be lost by replacement...
I didn't notice that the size was listed at all on the Atlanta craigslist posting. The Sizzler paint scheme shows in the 2000 catalog, so unless it's a repaint that's likely a CSI. Guess it could be an Atlanta but most Atlantas are solid colors. Serial number will tell both size and model.

Here's another that has plenty of photos but could be a CSI or something else. Again, serial number should tell all. Most likely a repaint but looks great.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/bik/d/...994744925.html
Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I didn't notice that the size was listed at all on the Atlanta craigslist posting. The Sizzler paint scheme shows in the 2000 catalog, so unless it's a repaint that's likely a CSI. Guess it could be an Atlanta but most Atlantas are solid colors. Serial number will tell both size and model.

Here's another that has plenty of photos but could be a CSI or something else. Again, serial number should tell all. Most likely a repaint but looks great.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/bik/d/...994744925.html
The one listed is a Colorado II. The horizontal rear drop outs give it away. It is early 90's and has gone back to the factory to have rear brake routing made external. I have one with a simaler history. Also, to ID an Atlanta when looking for a CSI look at the seat tube lug, it will be cast and the set tube bolt goes though the cast lug.

Last edited by Black Dog; 10-12-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:41 AM
Steel..what else??

New steel frames ride so good.
I wouldn't go back to my 90's bikes.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:41 AM

It's not that I don't have other, modern bikes - I do:

I just had a lot of fun on that CSi, and it was without doubt one of the most handsome bikes I have (or had).

I've got a Colorado CR that's in the server room of our Broomfield office that I'll have shipped back to me, and I'm also in discussions with a friend to buy his CSi - although interestingly it's got different tubes to mine.

Mine has a standard top tube, but swaged seat an downtubes. His has an oversize top tube, swaged seat tube, but a straight downtube.