Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 03-09-2022, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasse View Post
The last 20 miles roughly through Foxen Cyn is really nice, but the rest of the ride is best to avoid. I hear that Alisal Cyn (I saw Alisal Canyon Rd. about 10 miles from the finish) is also really nice. If you pass through Santa Barbara, try Gibraltar Rd. up to La Cumbre Peak.

Solvang Century is not what it used to be, that's for sure. It was really good around 8-10 years ago back when they also had the Solvang Prelude ride.
Hypothetically, if the route went out and back Santa Rosa Rd, then out and back Foxen Canyon Rd, it would have had double the good roads with virtually no bad roads. I know some people prefer loops to out and back, but do they really like loops so much they'd rather ride 50 miles on highways and sketchy city streets just to avoid doing a nice road in both directions?

https://www.strava.com/routes/2936759453436026494
Old 03-09-2022, 05:40 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Hypothetically, if the route went out and back Santa Rosa Rd, then out and back Foxen Canyon Rd, it would have had double the good roads with virtually no bad roads. I know some people prefer loops to out and back, but do they really like loops so much they'd rather ride 50 miles on highways and sketchy city streets just to avoid doing a nice road in both directions?

https://www.strava.com/routes/2936759453436026494
Better yet, just do Figueroa Mountain, here's the route from the Fig Mountain Gran Fondo a few years ago (only a modest 2.7 miles of idiocy in that route).

Amused at your characterization of Santa Rosa Rd. as a "good road" -- for scenery, lack of traffic, and pastoral setting, yes; for road surface, definitely not.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Better yet, just do Figueroa Mountain, here's the route from the Fig Mountain Gran Fondo a few years ago (only a modest 2.7 miles of idiocy in that route).

Amused at your characterization of Santa Rosa Rd. as a "good road" -- for scenery, lack of traffic, and pastoral setting, yes; for road surface, definitely not.
I like bad pavement--it makes the cars slow down. I can ride bigger tires to smooth out the road, but there's nothing I can do to smooth out when a big truck buzzes me at 60mph and I get blown about in its wake.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:35 PM

If you LIKE bad pavement then Santa Rosa Road is for you!!! They've repaved Foxen in recent years, here and there, so much better...better than SRR, anyway. It's entirely up to the locals to ante up for road improvements out there, from what I've been told. Obviously, most don't GAS.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 03-10-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
Planet Ultra are a joke. And the owner is one of the surliest people I've ever met. The only time I've ever enjoyed a PU ride was the one year that the owner was not present (Eastern Sierra Double in 2013).
Interesting... I have done several PU events and enjoyed them. I did not interact with the owner so maybe that's why.

It's true that their events typically lack fanfare and are on the smaller scales, so I can see how they would fail to meet expectations for a famous event like the Solvang Century.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
When they said they were aware, did they actually say anything specific? When I talked to some of my buddies (who weren't there) after the ride, they said that this was the M.O. for Planet Ultra.

Saying "we're aware" without specifics on what they'd do differently is an easy way to not do anything differently.
If they were to write specifics they'd be writing a 1000 word essay.
Old 03-11-2022, 01:58 AM

Planet Ultra has a very poor reputation among the double century crowd, so much so that I have not done a single one among my 50 or so doubles.

It turns out I was on some of the same roads last Saturday, doing a 300k brevet. My ride went from Morro Bay to Buelton via Foxen Canyon, then turned north into the gathering wind and back to Lompoc, SLO and Morro Bay, some 90 miles of headwind in the afternoon. Apart from a couple PU signs and occasional small groups of cyclists, it was hard to tell a cycling event was going on.
Old 03-11-2022, 09:16 AM

50 DOUBLES! DEWWWWWD! That's over-the-top impressive! Heck, after a Century, I'm ready to throw my bike in the dumpster!
Old 03-11-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
If you LIKE bad pavement then Santa Rosa Road is for you!!! They've repaved Foxen in recent years, here and there, so much better...better than SRR, anyway. It's entirely up to the locals to ante up for road improvements out there, from what I've been told. Obviously, most don't GAS.
We started in Lompoc, so the last 20 miles to our 'finish' was in the early afternoon headwind back on Santa Rosa. It was not pleasant.

I paid the fee, grabbed a few cups of orange pretzels and got my water bottles filled, but as far as organized centuries go... that was a stinker.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:19 AM

just registered.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisyang View Post
just registered.
?
Old 04-01-2022, 10:04 AM
#RYFB

SOLVANG CENTURY is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
?

I’ve been noticing posts from this account (that is, the one you responded to), all of which are nonsense like this, and assume that as soon as I see post #30 there will be real posts … in the classifieds
Old 04-01-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I’ve been noticing posts from this account (that is, the one you responded to), all of which are nonsense like this, and assume that as soon as I see post #30 there will be real posts … in the classifieds
Gotcha.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:52 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

He will still need the requisite days.

And then he might get a “reset”

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:08 PM
#RYFB

As always, the mods are on top of things.
Thanks BK.