Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2022, 10:38 AM
n - 1

Dahon folding bikes

I’ve been wanting to pick up a folding bike for family trips, for times I do not bring my full size bikes. This would be for errands and riding to running trails and letting the wife take the car and kids.

I thought of a Brompton/BF, but too expensive for leaving locked up at the trailhead and honestly, for the seldom usage it will get (probably 5-10 times a year).

There are a few Dahons for sale locally. One that interests me is a Mariner 7 speed for under $300. Seems like an ok bike but thought I’d ask here.

Either this, or waiting for a deal on a Brompton on eBay.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:49 AM

I think for the usage you describe a Dahon will be fine.

How will you be transporting the bike?

I have a Bike Friday Pocket Llama, which I like, but it doesn't fold super small. It just fits in the trunk of my car. On a family road trip, putting the BF in the trunk wouldn't work.
I don't know how small the Dahon folds, but that would be my main concern with it.

Chris
Old 07-06-2022, 11:06 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
I think for the usage you describe a Dahon will be fine.

How will you be transporting the bike?

I have a Bike Friday Pocket Llama, which I like, but it doesn't fold super small. It just fits in the trunk of my car. On a family road trip, putting the BF in the trunk wouldn't work.
I don't know how small the Dahon folds, but that would be my main concern with it.

Chris
Thanks. Usually in our minivan and midsize CUV so space should be ok.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:35 PM
Shifty Member

I had a Dahon Mariner D8 until recently. It was perfect for my needs. Ended up replacing the crank very soon after purchasing because the one that came with it was a piece of crap.

It was stable, rode well enough for my 73" and was comfortable. Folding and unfolding was a piece of cake. Took me less than 10 seconds on either end. I also got the little wheelie kickstand that allowed me to roll it while folded. Only sold it because my job changed and I no longer took the train. My commute was 1 mile bike to the train, 10 min commuter rail ride, 3 mile ride to work. It really was the best way to get from my house down to the Seaport in Boston. Took far less time than it did via car.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I’ve been wanting to pick up a folding bike for family trips, for times I do not bring my full size bikes. This would be for errands and riding to running trails and letting the wife take the car and kids.

I thought of a Brompton/BF, but too expensive for leaving locked up at the trailhead and honestly, for the seldom usage it will get (probably 5-10 times a year).

There are a few Dahons for sale locally. One that interests me is a Mariner 7 speed for under $300. Seems like an ok bike but thought I’d ask here.

Either this, or waiting for a deal on a Brompton on eBay.
I'd hold out for a used Bike Friday (check Google Groups) or at least something better than a Dahon. I got one for my wife (Mariner) a few years ago and it was (and rode like) a cheap bike that wasn't much fun.

I've heard about Terns which look nice.

Ryan
Old 07-06-2022, 06:48 PM
ZhugeLiang

I have two folding bikes currently in service. A brompton and a tern. They were all bought used. The brompton costs $500 while the tern costs $350. I have owned a couple of BFs (tikit, air) in the past. I am a fan of foldable bikes especially the ones that are well designed, time tested and has a good reputation. They are compact, easy to set up, and actually quite capable machines to be ridden on all sorts of terrains and distances.

Quote:
This would be for errands and riding to running trails and letting the wife take the car and kids.
For what you described, I think the Dahon is more than up to the task.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:40 PM
n - 1

Well, 9 months later. I found a Dahon Boardwalk 6-speed locally for $25. Can’t go wrong with that. I need to swap out some stuff (cables, lights, and that saddle!)
It doesn’t fold up as small as I originally thought but still better than bringing my other bike on trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1016.jpg (125.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 04-11-2023, 08:05 PM
Total Fred

I threw a Swytch conversion kit on a Dahon and it's arguably the best money I've ever spent on a bike. Under $1k for a folding e-bike that goes almost 20 mph (go into the settings and adjust the wheel size down to the tiniest to trick the speed limit). My partner and I use it when we do Amtrak trips because it's free checked baggage. My kids use it when we're riding around town together. Guests use it because it is easy to set up for people of most sizes. This is my second Dahon and they're always a great bang for the buck. I regularly recommend them for people who live in small apartments that just need a simple and cheap way to get around.