Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 AM

Which Reliable Tubular Tire Would You Recommend?

I've rolled on clinchers 99.92% of the time. Been using Conti GP4000s for that with good success.

Have wanted to try tubulars for several years, so I finally bought an aluminum tubular wheelset. Already have a jar of Vittoria Mastik One. Will be riding strictly on the road (chip seal and cracks galore). I'll probably put some sealant (gasp) in the tires just for peace of mind.

What are your riding with great success? Won't be racing this wheelset. I just want something that's durable, affordable and reliable.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM

Veloflex. Choose your model based on width and sidewall color desired, and you can't go wrong. The king of tubulars.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM

This has been discussed MANY times on multiple threads....use search, open favorite beverage and have fun reading. Regardless, I'll play....

Durability, cost effectiveness, = Vitt Corsa Elites, 25mm, 290tpi, butyl tube

Durability, supple, puncture resistant = Vitt Pave, 25 or 27mm, 320tpi, latex

Supple, puncture resistant = Vitt Corsa Graphene, 25 or 28mm, 320 tpi, latex

No pre-treatment with sealant.....use it when u need it. I use Bontrager sealant....best stuff for big cuts.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipmeister View Post
I've rolled on clinchers 99.92% of the time. Been using Conti GP4000s for that with good success.

Have wanted to try tubulars for several years, so I finally bought an aluminum tubular wheelset. Already have a jar of Vittoria Mastik One. Will be riding strictly on the road (chip seal and cracks galore). I'll probably put some sealant (gasp) in the tires just for peace of mind.

What are your riding with great success? Won't be racing this wheelset. I just want something that's durable, affordable and reliable.
Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm. Best combo of weight, comfort, durability and $. About $33 or so from UK(about $65-$70msrp)..290 tpi, butyl tube. Veloflex are keen but not worth the $, certainly not 2-3 times more better. IMHO
Old 10-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Vittoria Corsa Graphenes. Just mounted a set this weekend.

Great tires.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:56 PM

Thank you all for the condensed, concise advise. Apologize have started a new thread when others exist on this same topic. Appreciate your patience.

Looks like today Vittoria leads the way. Veloflex looks nice but is more than I want to spend at this point. Unless a sale is located.

Last edited by sipmeister; 10-17-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 PM

Fwiw, had nothing but great success with Bike Tires Direct. Seem like good folks. (And a forum sponsor to boot.)
Old 10-17-2017, 01:09 PM

veloflex are great. they're about $130/pair from the UK. cheaper if you have a coupon or there's a sale running and you can buy a handful at once.

IMHO, if you're not buying super nice tires, with handmade casing and latex tubes, there's no point in riding tubulars (for road, at least). if you're gonna do it, do it right.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:11 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
veloflex are great. they're about $130/pair from the UK. cheaper if you have a coupon or there's a sale running and you can buy a handful at once.

IMHO, if you're not buying super nice tires, with handmade casing and latex tubes, there's no point in riding tubulars (for road, at least). if you're gonna do it, do it right.
Ya might notice if you put the difference in price in pennies and rode with them and in your jersey pocket(3000 pennies)..any difference between a 25mm Vittoria Elite and 25mm Veloflex is teeny(if a real difference exists at all)...imho<<<—-

I sure can’t tell.....
Old 10-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Administrator

i have had remarkably good service from vittoria tubular tires. they are a great choice.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:17 PM

If you are gluing Vittoria Elites or Pave's.

If you are taping Veloflex all the way, Vittoria's have latex on the base tape so taping is a no go.

Stephen
Old 10-17-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipmeister View Post
I just want something that's durable, affordable and reliable.
Then stick with clinchers

Old 10-17-2017, 03:24 PM

AZRider,

That was brave....

Actually probikekit has Veloflex on big sale right now, and if you buy 4 you get an additional 10% off...

Just ordered 6 roubaix's for $360 including shipping...

It is a really tough tire to beat at $60 a piece...

Stephen
Old 10-17-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
This has been discussed MANY times on multiple threads....use search, open favorite beverage and have fun reading. Regardless, I'll play....

Durability, cost effectiveness, = Vitt Corsa Elites, 25mm, 290tpi, butyl tube

Durability, supple, puncture resistant = Vitt Pave, 25 or 27mm, 320tpi, latex

Supple, puncture resistant = Vitt Corsa Graphene, 25 or 28mm, 320 tpi, latex

No pre-treatment with sealant.....use it when u need it. I use Bontrager sealant....best stuff for big cuts.
Since Vittoria Paves no longer exist (2017 "replacement" was the Corsa G, but I see for 2018 there's now a Corsa Control which is promoted for the same conditions as the prev Paves) likely not an option for most. When I rode the Paves I really couldn't feel much improvement over the Elites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm. Best combo of weight, comfort, durability and $. About $33 or so from UK(about $65-$70msrp)..290 tpi, butyl tube. Veloflex are keen but not worth the $, certainly not 2-3 times more better. IMHO
I'm on Corsa Elite 25s most of the time on my Shamals. I have 25 mm Corsa SCs (predecessors to the Corsa G) and I think I get 90% of the ride quality from the Elites with half the cost.

I wasn't all that enamoured of the Veloflex Roubaixs I tried compared to the Vittorias. I do have some 27mm VFlex Vlaanderens hanging in the basement since last fall, but haven't ridden enough this season to need to replace tires glued onto my Shamals or Bontrager D3 35mm rims.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenCL View Post
If you are gluing Vittoria Elites or Pave's.

If you are taping Veloflex all the way, Vittoria's have latex on the base tape so taping is a no go.

Stephen
This is of interest to me as I intend to tape up a pair of Vittoria's this winter. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

The following is from the Carogna website:

Andy Robertson
Is it necessary to scrape the latex off the basetape of a Vittoria Corsa CX tubular prior to using Carogna? Does scraping the latex from the basetape provide better adhesion?

Alberto De Gioannini
Hello Andy, you don’t need to scrape the latex off the basetape of Vittoria tubulars. Just degrease them perfectly using mineral spirits and Carogna will hold perfectly for road riding purposes.
For cyclocross, however, because of the much lower inflating pressures, it’s better to apply Eau de Carogna primer on the tubular basetape, upon cleaning it: this will enhance adhesion with our Carogna tape.