Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 01:03 PM

Q re: cortisone doping and weight loss

my knowledge of cortisone (oral prednisone) is that it causes fluid retention and weight gain.

but i've read about a fairly common cortisone regimen (triamcinolone, among cyclist that abuse TUEs like wiggins and horner among others) that causes substantial weight loss.

from millar's book: “You would do all the training but my weight would stick,” he said. “But if I took Kenacort, 1.5-2kgs would drop off in like a week. And not only would the weight drop off I would feel stronger."

is it a different kind of cortisone that causes something exactly the opposite of what my experience with cortisone has shown?

edit -- did some more googling: "From what we know or suspect it seems to have effects on increasing airflow in the lung by opening the airways, it also has an effect on reducing pain at high intensity exercise. There seems to be an effect on the body’s metabolism below about 75% threshold which although not fully understood may help aid weigh loss while being able to continue training."

Last edited by wallymann; 10-17-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:39 PM

Your experience might be with medically appropriate doses for treatment and their usage might have been much higher or lower doses?

Or they were combining it with something else that didn't get mentioned?

Tons of variables. I don't really know anything about drugs but lots (most?) have different effects depending on how they're used.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:57 PM

I agree that it probably has a lot to do whether used pharmacologically. I was a puffy boy.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:18 PM

I've needed epidural cortisone injections for slipped discs in my neck. After I first got them, I was flying on climbs -- I've since gained 20+ lbs due to an insatiable hunger. The alternative to weight gain is pain. My spine doctor never suggested anything to help me keep the weight off, so I'll be watching this thread for help.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:32 PM

as an asthmatic, I've periodically done an oral regimen of prednisone.

the first two days are always seriously fun on the bike...the dosage tapers, so by the end of the 5- or 7-day course, there's not much effect noticeable.

have never taken it long enough to notice any weight gain or loss.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:35 AM

everyone i've ever known that has taken oral prednisone, including our dog, puffs up with weight gain -- primarily water retention i think.

maybe cortisone, when injected, causes different reactions in the body when you're very highly trained with an already very low body-fat % and maintain a very high training workload.

Last edited by wallymann; 10-18-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 AM

When I was diagnosed with cancer my doctors put me on oral prednisone. I was on high doses of prednisone for about 3 months so I may not be a good example. But in the first month, I lost about 15 lbs. The doctors were concerned and ran a battery of tests, but as I explained to them - prednisone wired me. My metabolism was in overdrive - I was on a constant rush.

I can't talk about cycling performance as I was exhausted all of the time. Not sure if that was b/c of the prednisone or other meds, but I didn't sleep well and my mind was constantly running.