Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 AM

fork dropout issue

new steel fork. the drop out on the drive side is a full mm narrower than the nds. i filed down the paint and the wheel will still not slide in. bend it? suggestions?? send it back? unfamiliar territory here. don't want to F it up
Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 AM

Sounds like the tip may have been bent, you can likely bend it back by prying it open, a little goes a long way here.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 AM

I had the same issue on a used, but looks like new, Carrera I recently got. I clamped a vice grip wrapped in a cloth to the front tine of the fork and then used a big set of pliers to carefully torque it out some.

In the case of a new fork, however, I'd probably contact the seller or manufacturer before tweaking it.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I had the same issue on a used, but looks like new, Carrera I recently got. I clamped a vice grip wrapped in a cloth to the front tine of the fork and then used a big set of pliers to carefully torque it out some.

In the case of a new fork, however, I'd probably contact the seller or manufacturer before tweaking it.
THIS.

I had a rear dropout close up due to faulty protection during shipping. I was able to slip a large diameter pipe over the dropout and the derailleur hanger and pry it open to spec.

As long as you can secure the fork while you leverage the dropout, this is your best route. Just wrap some duct tape around the inside of the pipe rather than the front dropout. This way it will be easier to measure your progress without having to repeated remove the tape from the dropout.

I've also filed dropout slots before. It's more tedious, but it works.

Definitely contact the builder/seller before you begin.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:46 PM

take a regular old non-adjustable wrench. slip the open face into the drop out. so they're 90 degrees off-axis of each other.
make sure the arm of the wrench is braced against one face of the dropout, then pull it. that'll un-bend it.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
take a regular old non-adjustable wrench. slip the open face into the drop out. so they're 90 degrees off-axis of each other.
make sure the arm of the wrench is braced against one face of the dropout, then pull it. that'll un-bend it.
Yup, done that but be gentle...I'd still contact the seller and let them know the dropout was munched.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:54 AM

got it... i filed off all the clear and paint and it still didn't go. contacted seller and ended up placing an 8mm allen in the drop out flat on both top and bottom and ever so gently gave it a pry. moved it just enough to still have to "pop" it in the drop out ill take it to lbs and confirm alignment today. thanks never had this issue before appreciate the info.