Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 03:27 AM

Flywheel Inertia on Rollers

How important is flywheel inertia on bike rollers?

What is difference between resistance and flywheel inertia on rollers?

I know TruTrainers are the best rollers on the market as they have a built in flywheel for smooth inertia.

What am I missing out on by not having built in inertia in rollers - such as the Real e- motion rollers?

I cannot afford the TruTrainer rollers and the freight cost to Australia.

Splash
Old 10-16-2017, 05:02 AM

The flywheel offers a measure of resistance over regular rollers so you get a more muscle-oriented workout. As a result, you can raise your heartrate higher than with regular rollers. The resistance is nowhere near as high as that available on e-Motions. I believe it's 265W, while I believe e-Motions can reach over 1kW.

You get a more realistic pedal stroke from the flywheel inertia.

You can stand out of the saddle much more easily to relieve some discomfort from constantly sitting.

The flywheel isn't important; it's a luxury.

What are you missing out? The TruTrainers, while heavy, are at least foldable for transport if you buy that option. The e-Motions are not.

I have a pair of TruTrainer rollers.

FYI I just read an article which quoted Leonard Nitz , former U.S. National Team member (70's and 80's), who called rollers the "poor man's motorpacing". Looking at it that way I'd say even regular rollers can provide great benefit.

Ask more questions about the TruTrainers and I can provide answers.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:44 AM

Many thanks Peter.

Why does the Real E-Motion rollers have alot more power than regular rollers? How is this possible?

I don’t mind having the rollers in a non-foldable state.

What is the advantage of having inertia on rollers to having none at all on rollers?

With the TT Rollers, what is the flywheel like inside that rear roller?

I read that having no inertia on rollers impacts on the ability to pedal smoothly and spin dowbsvrry quickly after stoppage..

Splash
Old 10-16-2017, 06:10 AM

...don't you have a Neo?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 AM

Personally, I think rollers are for developing leg speed and pedal stroke. If you want to work on power or climbing, a stationary trainer is best. I use the basic Tacx rollers. When I lived in Michigan, they were a staple of my training. For power workouts, I bought a used Lemond Revmaster for $150 from place that sells gym equipment after it comes off the lease to the gyms. The Lemond is robust, weighs a couple hundred pounds, and is great for power efforts (and doesn't mess up your bike).
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 AM

You could easily add more resistance to Tru-Trainers with a neodymium magnet.
The other thing missing on TruTrainers is ANT+ FE-C control for things like Zwift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
The resistance is nowhere near as high as that available on e-Motions. I believe it's 265W, while I believe e-Motions can reach over 1kW.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:34 PM

E-motion rollers are a joy to ride any types of intervals on

They have excellent road feel from both inertial loading, plenty of additional resistance when needed (mag unit/flywheel) and their free-motion.

Anyone suggesting otherwise hasn't ridden them, I'd bet. Don't pass on them if shipping to your country is an option.

I say that having ridden trutrainer (they are good, for sure) and many types of trainers (smart and otherwise)
Old 10-16-2017, 01:19 PM

Bikerider888

I didn’t realise the E-motions have inertial loafing... What mechanism provides this inertia on these units? I do understand it has resistance. I have just purchased the real e-motion unit second hand and wanting to learn more about them. This unit has ANT but not ANT+ FEC. Wanting to understand where the inertial loading comes from on this unit.

Kranimm - Yes I still use the TACX Neo. I am wanting to expand my training regime to achieve better pedalling technique and core strength/balance. The Neo doesn’t really achieve this IMO.

Splash

Last edited by Splash; 10-16-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:17 PM

Delete

Delete post. See below.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 PM

Why does the Real E-Motion rollers have alot more power than regular rollers? How is this possible?
The e-Motion rollers don't have more POWER; they have more RESISTANCE. That's due to the magnetic unit which is coupled to one of the rollers. Same resistance as is available on any mag trainer. A mag trainer uses the principle of Eddy Currents (NOTHING to do with Eddy Merckx!). Essentially, the faster the spinning mag unit, the greater the counter magnetic field is created, creating more resistance. While the resistance climbs considerably with speed, it doesn't increase anywhere near as much as the speed increases on regular rollers.

What is the advantage of having inertia on rollers to having none at all on rollers? You can coast a little to recover after hard intervals, to adjust your position; whatever you can think of. It feels more like riding down the road than with rollers without inertia. You could argue that regular rollers are BETTER in that respect because you CAN'T rest at all.

With the TT Rollers, what is the flywheel like inside that rear roller?
I'm not sure what you're asking here. The 17lb. flywheel is built into the rear roller, which is spun by the center roller. It is calibrated to feel natural for a 160lb. rider I believe, so the feeling will vary slightly for lighter/heavier riders, but it's remarkably like riding on the road.

I read that having no inertia on rollers impacts on the ability to pedal smoothly and spin dowbsvrry quickly after stoppage.. In some respects it's possible riding rollers without inertia may build a better cyclist because you have to pedal a rounder stroke to keep moving. Otherwise, your bike will do little surges and maybe scoot back and forth on the rear rollers. I suspect any benefit may be lost after a transition time back to the road, unless regular, season long sessions on the rollers are performed to keep the benefits; at least once a week. Riding with inertia is just like riding on the road; you'd almost laugh if you tried regular rollers then hopped on a pair with inertia, it's such a difference.

The one other benefit I forgot to mention previously is, the TruTrainers are designed to position your bike level. With regular rollers the rear wheel sits slightly lower than the front. The result is you're always riding uphill just a smidge. And I've found that results in a slightly uncomfortable feeling in the crotch while riding the drops. The homebrew solution is to re-tilt the saddle slightly down for all your off-season training, or just live with it and spend more time on the hoods or on the tops of the bars. With the TruTrainers, it's not an issue at all.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Many thanks Peter.

Isn't it great technology that TT can fit a 17lb flywheel inside a single roller...!

All - My second hand E-Motion Rollers did not come with those foot pads (normally fastened on top of the frame where you can stand). I have tried Elite supplier in Australia for replacement of these pads without luck.

Can anyone help me source these pads or at least provide photos of them so that I know what to look for as a backup solution?

Splash
Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Anyone riding the E-Motion Rollers with a few tips and traps?

Splash