Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2021, 12:09 PM

On Female Frame Builders…

Read an interesting article in “Bicycling” recently: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...bike-builders/

It’s no secret that frame building has long been the province of mostly (white) men. There are a few notable exceptions, such as the Sycip Brothers. But a “female frame builder” still seems oxymoronic in this day and age.

Does anyone on the Forum own a bike made by a female frame builder? I was vaguely familiar with “Moth Attack” cycles (great logo/head badge) but that was about it. Tellingly, of the six builders profiled, four of them live and work outside the continental U.S.

This paragraph caught my eye:

“For years, bikes were designed around a man’s body, reflecting—at least in part—who was doing the designing. Then many of the major bike manufacturers began targeting the women’s market with “women’s-specific” bikes. But the approach had its limits. “Women’s-specific bikes are supposed to fit this average or maybe idealized woman’s body. But a woman’s body can look like a lot of different things,” says Jackie Mautner, a Philadelphia bike builder who creates custom frames under the name Untitled Cycles. “I don’t think that [marketing] speaks to the diversity of gender, to the diversity of actual bodies.”
Old 09-17-2021, 12:20 PM

Natalie Ramsdale of Sweet Pea Bicycles. I think she is out of Portland, Or. I saw one in 2015 on 300K brevet. I have only seen that one I hope she is still building it was a nice well made frame.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:22 PM
Vendor

Caren Hartley makes as nice of bicycles as I've ever seen. And her collab work with Talbot (Isen) is amazing. I've lusted after an Isen for a long time.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 PM

I do not own one, but have seen, met and admired the skills of Danielle Schon who is actively building https://www.instagram.com/schonstudio/

As for visible minority builders in NA I guess I would have been one at one time, and Dickson Bou of Wake Robin currently builds https://www.instagram.com/wake_robin_cycles/

And even earlier was Renold Yip of Yipsan and James Morikawa out of Hawaii probably a bunch of others!
Old 09-17-2021, 12:39 PM

Luna frames by Margo Conover. She is not building any longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luna 1.jpg (21.8 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpg Luna 2.jpg (29.5 KB, 695 views)
File Type: jpg Luna 3.jpg (64.1 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg Luna 4.jpg (73.5 KB, 702 views)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:47 PM

I bet you there’s more than one woman on the factory floor at Giant who’s making more frames a day than US male frame builders combined produce in a year.

Does that count?
Old 09-17-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
It’s no secret that frame building has long been the province of mostly (white) men. There are a few notable exceptions, such as the Sycip Brothers. But a “female frame builder” still seems oxymoronic in this day and age.
I think you'll see more women in a UBI framebuilding class than you'd expect, but actually starting up a framebuilding business is another story.

That ultimately requires a surplus of money, so the person is already making enough on their day job to support their weekend hobby to eventually turn it into a weekend business. Which of course will be more difficult for women when they're still being paid less than men for equal work, in addition to having to pay out of pocket for "feminine hygiene products", expected to always "look nice", paying more for haircuts, etc.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:59 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I bet you there’s more than one woman on the factory floor at Giant who’s making more frames a day than US male frame builders combined produce in a year.

Does that count?
Bonnie Tu, founder of Liv, and Giant CFO - one of the the 'giants' of the cycling industry.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:01 PM

Julie Ann Pedalino in Kansas City was one of my framebuilding class students and made beautiful frames from 2013 unit just recently. Her instagram is full of pictures of frames she built. She has an art background and graduated from the Chicago Art Institute. I think now she is into making jewelry.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
I think you'll see more women in a UBI framebuilding class than you'd expect, but actually starting up a framebuilding business is another story.

That ultimately requires a surplus of money, so the person is already making enough on their day job to support their weekend hobby to eventually turn it into a weekend business. Which of course will be more difficult for women when they're still being paid less than men for equal work, in addition to having to pay out of pocket for "feminine hygiene products", expected to always "look nice", paying more for haircuts, etc.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the cost of feminine hygiene products is not the reason we don't see more female framebuilders.

Aside from the builders, the attendees at NAHBS are overwhelmingly male. Participants at bike races are overwhelmingly male. People on this message board are overwhelmingly male. Framebuilding is overwhelmingly male because as of right now, the pool of people who are interested in framebuilding more broadly are overwhelmingly male.

On top of that, framebuilding is a brutal industry that only a small handful of people are able to get respectable financial returns from.

I would love to see both the participants and industry of cycling have more gender diversity, but it strikes me as both crazy and patronizing to think that more women aren't becoming framebuilders because they spend more money on their hair.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I would love to see both the participants and industry of cycling have more gender diversity, but it strikes me as both crazy and patronizing to think that more women aren't becoming framebuilders because they spend more money on their hair.
You really missed the point of the post you are responding to.

Yes, there may very well be very few women at NAHBS, at bike races, on cycling message boards, and interested in frame building. But is that because women inherently are not interested in those things, or is it because society discourages them (socially and financially) every step of way?
Old 09-17-2021, 02:15 PM

I guess I've just been an inconsiderate consumer my whole life. I've never shopped for anything while considering what gender or race the producer was. I shop for what I need based on my requirements, perceived quality and value.

If we're not discriminating I don't see where anything else should matter.

Many of the unknown vintage steel bikes I picked up over the years were bought because I could see the quality and beauty of the work. I do research and try to find out what I can about the builder but honestly their gender, race, ethnicity, etc. just don't matter to me.

All that said, I to am curious to hear how many women are working this stuff.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:16 PM

I don't personally own one, but some of the fabricators at Seven and Independent Fabrications (both local to me) are women.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
You really missed the point of the post you are responding to.

Yes, there may very well be very few women at NAHBS, at bike races, on cycling message boards, and interested in frame building. But is that because women inherently are not interested in those things, or is it because society discourages them (socially and financially) every step of way?
I have always been of the mindset that if you let society or anything else stop you from doing what you want then you are the problem. Not the "whatever" is discouraging you.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:18 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post

Expected to pay out of pocket for tampons? Thats a problem and keeping women from making headway against men in business? This isnt sarcasm, im actually asking (but admit i am doubtful)

I have a girlfriend.. who menstruates.. i sometimes buy tampons for her.. they dont seem prohibitively expensive to me

If im missing something feel free to slam me