Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2021, 09:00 PM

I’ll take “they only do enough to get them out the door”.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:24 PM

People can’t always envision things so when selling things like a house, renovation work or interior design you have to show the end result and have it “staged”. Probably most coming to TPC are looking for something specific or something in their given price range. They aren’t going to notice or care if the bars are slightly off angle or missing bar tape or a chain. Surely they are not going to sell me a complete bike without those?? Oh and the description confirms that. They want to ensure the bike is what think it is, doesn’t have visible damage, the color they want and on. Why waste time with the small details for a bike that may sit unsold for a period of time? The faster they get bikes listed the faster to making money. Turnover. And then tune up the bike once sold and going out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2021, 09:44 PM

Why do they need so much start up money

They do not manufacture or produce anything, they just flip bikes
Old 09-15-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I can do this forever but I'll stop here.

Over $1000 for a 15 year old rim brake Scott with Tiagra 9 speed triple?! No chain, cables loose on the down tube, hoods flipped open (2 seconds to fix this folks). Imagine the poor person buying this from the world's premier used bike seller.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...speedster-40-m

The kicker is the crank: vintage Suntour Superbe with later ultracheap stamped SR Suntour rings. Wow, this is some Bike Co-Op nonense:

This was the OE crankset for this bike. They must have briefly resurrected the “superbe” name.
Still a ripoff

Last edited by slambers3; 09-15-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
This was the OE crankset for this bike. They must have briefly resurrected the “superbe” name.
Still a ripoff
Interesting! I stand totally corrected. Still a rough bike for what it is.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:57 PM

Kinda like Fonzi going waterskiing

They're officially in used car lot territory. 290,000 miles on the clock and the gorilla tape matches the bumper...and the bald tires. Score

They don't care about us, just the folks that get their shoe laces tangled up in their helmet mirror and then somehow manage to log onto the internet

Boom/bust kinda stuff, in a year or two the VC guys will kill it off and move on to the next thing they can bungle. Our niche market will always have a glass ceiling

The Walton's should buy it and move it to Bentonville
Old 09-16-2021, 09:54 AM

I sold my wife's Moots Psyclo X RSL to TPC about two months ago. They gave me a really good price. The bike was good to go and ready to race. It never showed up on their website.

I think someone keeps the good stuff to themselves.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:00 AM

They also have a "coming soon" area.
So people poach that quite a bit.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
I sold my wife's Moots Psyclo X RSL to TPC about two months ago. They gave me a really good price. The bike was good to go and ready to race. It never showed up on their website.

I think someone keeps the good stuff to themselves.
f
I was Pros curious early thus year and sent off a couple of snaps to them of my Route. They answered quickly with a dollar amount of $5500 for it if a wanted store credit and $4k ish if I wanted cash. I passed because I love the bike but I would have made a couple bucks with the cash offer and netted about $2k with the store credit offer for what I bought it for.

I did the same thing with an Specialized Epic a couple of weeks ago but dragged my feet getting it packed and now they’re not taking bikes. My fault.

I feel like the market in my area (SLC) is cooling a bit and lots of local sales are stagnant. People are still asking way too much and nothing is getting sold on ksl.com

Last edited by Greenpea; 09-16-2021 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Telephone lens
Old 09-16-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Me submitting a bike to them.... and looking through their listings:

Are you sure it's not also, "I've sold more bikes than you." ?

Your listings are better written, for sure.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckel30 View Post
I am pretty sure they are buying mostly everything at this point to corner the market, become the biggest choice in the online game, and discourage competition. Growth and becoming the biggest player in the market is preferred over profit at this point. Unfortunately that growth comes at an expense and the “Pro” who liked to shop there will not necessarily be their primary customer anymore.
This. This is the venture capital model. It’s why for many years Uber and Lyft lost money on every ride.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpea View Post
f
I was Pros curious early thus year and sent off a couple of snaps to them of my Route. They answered quickly with a dollar amount of $5500 for it if a wanted store credit and $4k ish if I wanted cash. I passed because I love the bike but I would have made a couple bucks with the cash offer and netted about $2k with the store credit offer for what I bought it for.

I did the same thing with an Specialized Epic a couple of weeks ago but dragged my feet getting it packed and now they’re not taking bikes. My fault.

I feel like the market in my area (SLC) is cooling a bit and lots of local sales are stagnant. People are still asking way too much and nothing is getting sold on ksl.com
Yeah I figured I would give TPC a shot thinking they would low ball me but the price was probably better than I would have gotten on here or locally. My wife doesn't race CX anymore and it was tad big for her so it was a no brainer.

So the TPC isn't taking bikes right now?

I have noticed that recently the market for used bikes seems to be coming back to reality in the Boston area as well.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:53 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
They do not manufacture or produce anything, they just flip bikes
Big $ for search engines, lotsa labor, I think they own the Amazon size warehouse they are in. Proposed locations in Japan, Europe, Australia(?)….

eBay, Twitter, FB, blah, blah don’t either. Just a bunch of servers..
Quote:
o the TPC isn't taking bikes right now?
Nope, playing catch up so that they photo and advert serviced bikes. No mas ‘pre service’.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-16-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:59 PM
Too Few Miles

Ah, I've seen this movie before - in retail.

This is the "big name consultant comes in and provides a more efficient labor model that can drop major profit contribution to the bottom line immediately."

Just sayin...
Old 09-16-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Ah, I've seen this movie before - in retail.

This is the "big name consultant comes in and provides a more efficient labor model that can drop major profit contribution to the bottom line immediately."

Just sayin...

And then it all goes to hell after that.

Tags
pros closet