Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2021, 10:35 AM

210921.lookvelo by Morris, on Flickr

Made a few changes. Finally cut down the excess steerer tube. Still left 7.5mm on top.

Flipped the stem to try a higher handlebar height. Also rolled back the handlebars a bit. It's very comfy now.

Only had one ride on it this way. It might be a bit too high/close now but I'll need a few weeks of rides to feel it out. There's lots of leeway to make small adjustments to dial it in.

I was afraid flipping the stem might affect the handling in a bad way but it feels good.

Really happy with the sub compact crank set. Until I gain form, maybe next spring?, it's really helping me with the hills.

Here's a shot with the saddle bag and a small restrap handlebar bag. The top tube bag just wasn't working for me.

210921.lookvelo2.w-bags by Morris, on Flickr
Old 09-23-2021, 12:17 PM

I sold the Look 585 I had after only briefly owning it. Did I make a mistake?
Old 09-23-2021, 01:46 PM

duplicate
Old 09-23-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
I sold the Look 585 I had after only briefly owning it. Did I make a mistake?
More than one person has said that they find the sizing jumps don't work for them, so there's that.

Mine took a little fiddling to set up, but I thought it was a keeper after the first ride. There are a few people on this board who are also big fans.

Not everyone reacts the same though, so I think it is another case of de gustibus non est disputandum
Old 09-23-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
More than one person has said that they find the sizing jumps don't work for them, so there's that.

Mine took a little fiddling to set up, but I thought it was a keeper after the first ride. There are a few people on this board who are also big fans.

Not everyone reacts the same though, so I think it is another case of de gustibus non est disputandum
You reminded me that I couldn't quite get the bars where I wanted them because a previous owner had chopped the steerer. That was a big reason I let it go, because I couldn't quite get comfortable. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:39 AM

Help me to better understand the 595 Ultra

I reached out re the 595 Ultra that was posted last night.
I'm torn on sizing and more.

I'm 220 lbs with a muscular build. My current rides include Thwart's old HC and Thwart/Akelman's old CdA.
Fit is different on both with the HC a bit longer and the CdA a bit taller.
Maybe a little longer than ideal and taller than ideal, though I thoroughly enjoy both.

I've essentially avoided carbon and stuck with steel for most of my riding....and wondered a whole bunch about the various lugged carbon given the reviews and accounts I've read.

Any thoughts on fit (the one that's being sold is a M and I worry that it might be too short in the top tube and/or too short in the head tube ~ given 3 back surgeries, I no longer go long and low).
And thoughts on suitability of the frame for an athletic, non-racer that rides the bucolic rolling hills of SW Vermont and neighboring MA and NY. Reading through portions of this thread the 585 seems to be preferred by many, but I think that, at my size, the 595 Ultra might be a better fit for me.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:38 PM

How did these size? I'm 5'10" with a 32-ish inseam, but always felt best on a bike with a 55 ETT. Were I to look for one of these frame sets, would the large be too big?
Old 01-17-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
How did these size? I'm 5'10" with a 32-ish inseam, but always felt best on a bike with a 55 ETT. Were I to look for one of these frame sets, would the large be too big?
I think for your dimensions that L would be the right size. I'm 6'00" tall with about a 33" inseam and I ride the XL. I sort of wish there was something between the two sizes but the XL works pretty well for me. It's still a daily rider after all these years.

This is a pic about the time of my last road ride this fall. Been riding this one a lot for a number of years. These are 25mm Vittoria tires on Boyd Altamont Lite wheels with a 20mm internal width. They fit pretty well but this won't fit larger tires safely, at least not Vittorias. These probably measure about 28mm.

The 5800 groupset isn't very sexy but works very well five years on and the price was right back in 2016 when I bought this group.

Old 01-17-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Thanks! That cockpit setup looks real comfy. Anything to look out for when buying these things? I saw the notes about headset bearings and cable guides, but how are the frames holding up structurally? If the clear/paint tends to go, then I'd be happy to get one re-painted, but if the joins tend to fail, then that's another matter and I might look for something monocoque.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:49 PM
You still here?

I've never heard of a Look 585 joint failing or having structural problems.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:19 PM
Post Mod-ern

I've had my 585 for ten years . . .

. . . and ridden the hell out of it and never any problems. It is a superb bike!

BBD

Quote:
Thanks! That cockpit setup looks real comfy. Anything to look out for when buying these things? I saw the notes about headset bearings and cable guides, but how are the frames holding up structurally? If the clear/paint tends to go, then I'd be happy to get one re-painted, but if the joins tend to fail, then that's another matter and I might look for something monocoque.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 01-17-2022, 04:20 PM

Someone wanna sell me a frameset in a large?
Old 01-17-2022, 04:34 PM

I’ve had no issues about the joints on mine. All my previous comments about the clear coat, cable mounts and headset continue to apply. Keep your eyes on eBay. Look very closely at closeup pics and don’t necessarily assume anything if something looks suspicious. I’ve seen frames with no headset and mismatched fork, etc. I steer well clear of those.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I’ve had no issues about the joints on mine. All my previous comments about the clear coat, cable mounts and headset continue to apply. Keep your eyes on eBay. Look very closely at closeup pics and don’t necessarily assume anything if something looks suspicious. I’ve seen frames with no headset and mismatched fork, etc. I steer well clear of those.
I'll throw an ISO out there and see what comes of it
Old 01-17-2022, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm really close to you with maybe a little longer inseam and my medium fits me perfect. The effective top tube on the medium is 54.5, and I think the large was 56.