Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
I find the choice is often regional and depends on the amount of versatility you expect from the bike.
Looks like we're in the same region. I typically ride to the trails and appreciate a bike with gearing that works in a paceline as well as on single track and steep stuff.
I've ridden 1X and always go back to 2X for its significantly better range of gears. You get the range, but don't need to tolerate the gaps.
This is true if you try to run 1x with 10 or even 11.
The issue is much less if you go with 12, and practically non-existent if you get 13. If they ever push a 14+ back there, 2x will be dead.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:27 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
This is true if you try to run 1x with 10 or even 11.
The issue is much less if you go with 12, and practically non-existent if you get 13. If they ever push a 14+ back there, 2x will be dead.
And with that you get heavier cassettes, heavier long-cage derailleurs, poor chainlines, thinner (weaker) chains, and it will still have larger gaps between gears than a 2x.

Sounds great!

Last edited by avalonracing; 03-23-2024 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:08 PM

When I first built my gravel frame, I ran 2x11 Mechanical, with the Chorus 12 32/48 crank and an 11-32 Campag cassette, it was good, no issues with the performance.

I swapped out to Ekar at the end of 2022, and I really enjoy it. Currently running a 38t front ring, and 9-42 cassette. Tons of range for the gravel we have here, and mixed surface riding. On more technical terrain, it's nice not to have to worry about chain drop. Set up and fine tuning is a little more involved than 11s Campagnolo, but once dialed, it's really relatable and consistent.

Brake performance is the same across both groups, so I'd say it's really up to your riding conditions and personal preferences for drivetrain.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
And with that you get heavier cassettes, heavier long-cage derailleurs, poor chainlines, thinner (weaker) chains, and it will still have larger gaps between gears than a 2x.

Sounds great!
Sigh.
13:
You also do away with a FD, a heavier Left shifter body, an extra cable to install and break, never heard of a 13 chain breaking, and the gaps are on the largest cogs, when you are likely looking for a big difference in your gearing, anyway.
Chainline? Not a problem.
Stick to 2x. It's pointless, but you like it.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:43 PM

I have a mix of Chorus 48/32 cable 12pd/Ekar rear derailleur/SRAM 10/44 cassette for bikepacking. And yes everything works fine mixing 12/13 spd. I am using 12 spd Chorus chain. The shifting does feel stiffer than with the Chorus rear derailleur. And the front Chorus derailleur says it can’t take a tire bigger than 35mm. I have 43mm but everything is really tight between the tire and cage. I think it depends on the build. The Ekar cups on the bottom bracket have a plastic sealed cup between the bearing caps. It seals out the water. The Chorus does not. I had rust dust on the cranks when I pulled them apart. So I will put in the Ekar bearing caps when I get a chance.

If I was just doing gravel riding I would stick to Ekar. But if you’re bikepacking the Ekar will not have low enough gearing. You would need to change out the front crank to either a 34 or 32. Or you will be pushing more than you need. The new GT is getting closer with the 10-46. But it’s not low enough in my option.

Last edited by Grifter23; 03-24-2024 at 08:46 PM. Reason: More info