Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
Switched from Super Record to eeBRakes.
I am a huge sucker for their special edition El Platino and found here on PL a kind soul selling them.
They are gorgeous. If you into something aesthetically unique there is nothing comparable in the market.

But there are two aspects here I'd want to highlight:

1. Installation: installing them ain't as easy as Campy or the other fishing rods maker's calipers. Particularly on the rear brake, cutting the hose to size is as finicky as important in the overall feel.

2. Tune up: after install you think you are done, but you still have to get brake shoes toe angle right. An aggressive toe angle, particularly if you use grippy pads such as the Campy red ones for carbon rims.
After that, centering and spacing pads from rims is really a piece of cake, easier than the other two.

Bottomline, I'd do the switch over and over again. Once tuned, they are a joy to ride (and look at).
This is just the advice I needed. I will be running them with Bora Ultra 35s + Campy Red Pads. Any good guide or technique you found for setting the toe angle? I think I've seen some folks talk about using a specific tool for this.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocslick View Post
This is just the advice I needed. I will be running them with Bora Ultra 35s + Campy Red Pads. Any good guide or technique you found for setting the toe angle? I think I've seen some folks talk about using a specific tool for this.
Ok great. They work real well with the AC3 brake track of Campy wheels.
I suggest you to
1. give a gentle rub on the brake pads with some gritty sand paper, particularly if you moving the pads from previous wheels
2. use BOTH the two spacers supplied with the eeBrakes per brake shoe, even if the instruction suggests to use only one given your wheel width. using more spacers will allow you for better toe in
3. I tried the Jagwire toe-in tool and it was garbage. What worked for me was a business card, fold in 2, covering 20-30% of the pads' length. Squeeze your lever and tighten the shoe pad.
4. test them immediately in a steep short descent so you can check if the toe-in successfully alleviated the vibrations responsible for the squealing noise

If the above doesnt work, add a third layer (a biz card fold in two, plus another piece) to give more toe-in. However I am fairly sure that if you use two spacers on the brake shoes and biz card fold in two, covering about a third of the pad you should be good to go

Hope it helps
Old 03-27-2024, 11:40 AM

Sram Red AXS with Dura Ace 9000 calipers here and no issues after about 4,000 miles. I've never tried the Sram Red calipers, but seen many complaints about them and have no desire to test them.

Old 03-28-2024, 03:50 AM

TRP 970SL Magnesium is better WW option for campagnolo and TRP 970 EQ for shimano, I guess.