Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2022, 08:21 AM

Took both of these out on the dirt/gravel/sand yesterday.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnzcapital View Post

Cracked my drop bar road bike but this All City Super Pro rips! Upgraded with Paul bits, White industries coming in a couple months
Solid bike. Does it see much gravel use?

Also based on the user name.... Are you in Philly?
Old 07-20-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Also based on the user name.... Are you in Philly?
I could see why you think that haha but I am not but south jersey if that’s close enough.

As for the bike, it’s a tank and I’m sure I could take it on some gnarly gravel. The 44t chainring might be tough on steeper sections however. It is also about 25-27 pounds so it’s a bit tough. My main gravel bike just got out of commission a couple weeks ago so haven’t had a chance to give this All City a true go
Old 07-20-2022, 01:36 PM

Old 09-16-2022, 03:12 PM

My Fairdale Rockitship - moved on last year but was an excellent value for an all-road/gravel bike.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
Do you ever feel like your current build is more exciting than the previous? I get that feeling for every bike I add the stable. I left my one gravel rig in Asheville so I have something to ride when there. I went into a slight panic upon arriving home, realizing I have nothing to ride dirt with. Commensurate with N+1, the void is filled.
where is this? nice whip
Old 09-17-2022, 08:31 PM

Pereira single speed CX

I love using this whip on the gravel roads of Arkansas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6B21FCE2-508E-4D22-A3A7-4393AEB399D9.jpg (152.6 KB, 550 views)
Old 09-17-2022, 09:50 PM

I’m waiting on my Fairlight frame but got this LHT for free and rebuilt it as a flat bar gravel/dad bike with XTR brakes and Real levers.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:17 PM

Just dropped in to say I love this thread.

Can't believe it was started in 2013! Hundreds of pages of great bikes.

What strikes me is in 2013 a lot of people just decided road bikes that clear 700x28 are adequate gravel bikes. That morphed into rim brake cross bikes and mid reach road bikes being people's gravel bikes. A lot of people built their gravel bikes on a severe budget.

And look what we have now. People's 'A' bikes are gravel bikes, thru axles, disc brakes, huge tire clearances. Love the evolution.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:07 AM

Current bikes for "graveling"

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2022, 09:26 AM

28s work fine in some condition. The first half of my ride on Friday could have been done easily on 28s, but the second half, not so much. Three inch gravel used on Oregon logging roads would destroy a 28mm tire while my 43mm GravelKings handled the chunky gravel nicely. In So AZ, sandy sections of our gravel roads would swalllow a narrow tire.
All that being said, when conditions permit, people should venture off pavement with 25-28mm tires. It's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Just dropped in to say I love this thread.

Can't believe it was started in 2013! Hundreds of pages of great bikes.

What strikes me is in 2013 a lot of people just decided road bikes that clear 700x28 are adequate gravel bikes. That morphed into rim brake cross bikes and mid reach road bikes being people's gravel bikes. A lot of people built their gravel bikes on a severe budget.

And look what we have now. People's 'A' bikes are gravel bikes, thru axles, disc brakes, huge tire clearances. Love the evolution.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:53 AM

Just refreshed my Black Mountain Canti MC as a dirt tourer.

Untitled by zacquillestanli, on Flickr
Old 09-19-2022, 09:55 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
28s work fine in some condition. The first half of my ride on Friday could have been done easily on 28s, but the second half, not so much. Three inch gravel used on Oregon logging roads would destroy a 28mm tire while my 43mm GravelKings handled the chunky gravel nicely. In So AZ, sandy sections of our gravel roads would swalllow a narrow tire.
All that being said, when conditions permit, people should venture off pavement with 25-28mm tires. It's fun.
Hah I did D2R2 on 28s and a 28 cassette one year. Neither my legs or my forearms were happy that year. Now I'm old enough that I need a minimum of 32 and some sort of suspension up front like a shockstop.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:15 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacstanley View Post
Just refreshed my Black Mountain Canti MC as a dirt tourer.

Minimoto brakes? What size tire- 38? Cool build- did you drill the lighting wire hole and set that up on your own?

My Black Mountain MC moved to commuter/touring duty shortly before the pandemic and since I now work at home it hasnt gotten many miles. It has a front and rear rack on now and thats overkill.
I am thinking of dropping the rear rack, adding a porteur rack, and using some mini-v brakes. It has 35mm tires and fenders right now.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Minimoto brakes? What size tire- 38? Cool build- did you drill the lighting wire hole and set that up on your own?

My Black Mountain MC moved to commuter/touring duty shortly before the pandemic and since I now work at home it hasnt gotten many miles. It has a front and rear rack on now and thats overkill.
I am thinking of dropping the rear rack, adding a porteur rack, and using some mini-v brakes. It has 35mm tires and fenders right now.
Yeah, minimotos. I had to do a lot of prep to stop them from squealing, disproportionate to the cost of the brakes imho. These are 43c gravel king sk tires. I did drill the lighting hole, it was very stressful. I asked Mike V. where to put it before committing. Has worked flawlessly and I love the clean look. I honestly don't use mine that much either these days, mostly for s240's etc.