Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 01-22-2021, 07:22 PM
shimergo

Nice weight reduction there!

I would tread (no pun intended) carefully with those S-Works tires. Like you said, mixed reviews that skew towards questionable puncture resistance.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:42 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

What size is this masterpiece?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Nice weight reduction there!

I would tread (no pun intended) carefully with those S-Works tires. Like you said, mixed reviews that skew towards questionable puncture resistance.
Well, I didn't say "mixed" reviews, just reviews. I actually haven't seen anything but positive comments about them when they're not compared to a trail tire. I'm generally pretty easy on tires which is why I like to form my own opinions. Also, I've learned tougher lessons than $70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
What size is this masterpiece?
Large. I was on the fence about sizing down a bike (as I do on the road) but I'm definitely glad for the extra reach here.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:11 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
Well, I didn't say "mixed" reviews, just reviews. I actually haven't seen anything but positive comments about them when they're not compared to a trail tire. I'm generally pretty easy on tires which is why I like to form my own opinions. Also, I've learned tougher lessons than $70
Fair enough, didn't mean to come off as such. Those tires have an impressive weight and were on my radar since I'm also on a weight reduction quest. I look forward to hear some more feedback on them.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:19 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Large. I was on the fence about sizing down a bike (as I do on the road) but I'm definitely glad for the extra reach here.
Perfect, just my size if and when it comes on the chopping block. Lovely bike!
Old 01-22-2021, 08:42 PM

I have a brand new S-Works Stumpjumper sitting in my bike room, just begging to be built, but I'd rather have a XC squish versus Free ride. I live close enough to ride to the mountains and shred for a few hours then pedal home (Angeles Forest).

Sweet build. I'm looking to get a Scott Spark in place of the Stumpjumper.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Fair enough, didn't mean to come off as such. Those tires have an impressive weight and were on my radar since I'm also on a weight reduction quest. I look forward to hear some more feedback on them.
All good! My regular trails are pretty flat but also pretty rocky. If the tires are fragile, it probably won't take more than a week to find out. I'm just looking to create my own measuring stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Perfect, just my size if and when it comes on the chopping block. Lovely bike!
Ha! Wouldn't be a hard bike to sell! Difficult to replace right now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post
I have a brand new S-Works Stumpjumper sitting in my bike room, just begging to be built, but I'd rather have a XC squish versus Free ride. I live close enough to ride to the mountains and shred for a few hours then pedal home (Angeles Forest).

I hear ya. I took the advice of the masses on this bike and it's a blast, but I also suspect I'd be just fine on less travel. I also wonder if I wouldn't prefer slightly sharper handling. On the upside, the bike pedals really well and is going to be a pretty nice weight when the wheels arrive - so I don't know that I'm sacrificing much by having that extra 10-20mm of travel!

Still not sold on droppers though...

Last edited by Imaking20; 01-23-2021 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denapista View Post

The Spark is a great bike, as much as most people need, but if you haven't pedaled your Stumpy, maybe give it a chance. It pedals really really well for a FS bike, let alone a 140mm bike. Depending on what you're shredding, that extra travel can be nice. Getting away from Minions and the like can do a lot for how the bike rolls.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:57 PM

I can’t wait for the Spur and Epic EVO showdown!
Old 01-23-2021, 11:29 PM

For those looking to drop weight from the SLX cranks you can lose a quick 60g by changing out the chainring for an Absolute black oval.

Quote:
The bike is definitely capable of it! So far the pilot is only good enough for second around Maston though..

Well, it's snowy outside, the bikes are clean and I'm on the trainer. Seems like time for a little update! I've been riding this thing every week and having a blast. Having some fun XC trail options within 10 minutes of my house has been a real treat and I'm finding a totally different kind of enjoyment when out playing MTB.

There are a couple fit things that I didn't love, so I've picked up a longer stem, narrower bars (excuse for weight loss) and a shorter crank. I've been pretty budget minded about the purchases so far and it's fun to see how easily weight comes off this bike.

Stem is a Kalloy Uno 80mm with some black ti bolts I had. Didn't actually save any weight, but getting 25mm more reach and not gaining a gram was pretty sweet.

The bars are Mt Zoom and they saved even more weight than I expected.

Considering how slow everything has been coming from Europe and Asia, I was really surprised to see these bars arrive from the UK just 11 days after placing my order.

Also, I've been noticing hints of arm pump (haven't said that since the moto days!) So I snagged a cheap pair of grips with my handlebar order in hopes of them being a thicker diameter. They're not - but they are a WHOOOOLE bunch lighter, so I'll use them for a bit and see how I like the foam.

The stock cranks were 175mm arms but I'm not a fan of having different crank lengths and saddle heights between bikes. I was really hoping to score a Next SL or E13 crankset but spending ~$500 was less appealing. Ended up scoring a new take off Next R crank for half that price. I can live with the extra ~60g for that price difference!

I learned pretty quickly comparing groupset weights that the bulk of the weight difference between SLX and XTR was I'm the crank and cassette. With the crank sorted (and lighter than XTR), I snagged an XTR 10-45 cassette to go with it.

Generally speaking, I'm a tire whore. That's the only thing I've experimented with more than wheels (which are quite a ways ahead of frames) - so why should my MTB experience be any different? Tires make such a huge difference in performance and feel and are a heck of a lot cheaper to experiment with than pretty much anything else that makes such an impact. Mountain tires seem heavy as all get out and I also wanted to snag something lighter that might be quicker rolling. S-Works Renegade seem to have some interesting feedback - so I decided to give them a whirl. Can't complain about that weight for a 2.3!

I think they'll be well suited to the type of riding I am and plan to keep doing. I plan to ride these front and rear or maybe throw the Fast Trak on the front if this doesn't seem to have enough grip. One thing I learned when playing track days was that being "overtired" (more tire than you need) often means you miss the chance to learn what the bike is doing. I learned what tire pressure, temp, and tread meant to the handling back then before getting fancier tires - and made it to the fast group without ever playing on slicks. I've not given up that mindset on bicycles yet and I'm really eager to form my own opinion about the behavior of 3 of Specialized's very successful tires.

I was hoping to update all this when the new wheels came in - but they're backed up in traffic. It figures that wheels bought on the east coast may take almost as long to get to me on the west coast as handlebars from another continent.

Hopefully an update soon once I'm able to install all the rotating goodies!
Old 01-28-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
I can’t wait for the Spur and Epic EVO showdown!
I've got a Spur. It's quite fun.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:38 PM

Nice Epic! That'll be able to tackle nearly anything outside of Bachelor DH trails out there. I've been riding in central Oregon annually for about 20 years and even though I grew up in the Bay Area and live in Colorado now the trails in that area are still my favorite that I look forward to riding each year. So easy to get in miles of awesome rolling trails on a light travel bike like that.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:36 PM

Looks great. I would be curious to hear how the bike handles with the 80mm stem. Modern trail bikes are designed around slack HTA combined with short stems. Did you consider going to a wider bar to increase your effective reach?
Old 01-28-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
I've got a Spur. It's quite fun.
Yep, I have one too. I just want to use it to smash Issac and this bike.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Yep, I have one too. I just want to use it to smash Issac and this bike.
I approve of this plan.