Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2020, 04:29 PM
accordvsick accordvsick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 73
Anyone doing 2021 Death Ride here?

I just signed up and will be my first time. Anyone else on here planning to do it? I'm from the bay area, so will be going up and down the east bay hills to train.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-20-2020, 10:35 AM
XXtwindad XXtwindad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 4,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordvsick View Post
I just signed up and will be my first time. Anyone else on here planning to do it? I'm from the bay area, so will be going up and down the east bay hills to train.
Are you riding today? I might be convinced to do a East Bay Loop at a civilized hour. Waldo and Crankles are much faster in our hood, but I have better stories
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-20-2020, 12:01 PM
accordvsick accordvsick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 73
Decided to take today off (feeling a slight sore foot flare up which I am self diagnosing as gout).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-21-2020, 11:16 AM
Upcountry Upcountry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 202
I haven't done it in several years but when I first got into riding it was a regular on the calendar for me! Beautiful roads and the no cars is pretty nice(hit 66mph down Monitor). My two tips: Start early, even earlier than they announce the start time, it helps with crowds at feed zones and beat the heat of the day on Carson Pass. Second tip, buy/wear a thrift store jacket/hoody at the start and simply donate it at the first feed zone(base of first side up Monitor). This means you're not lugging around a jersey full of your shed layers all day.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-21-2020, 12:51 PM
Jellybird3 Jellybird3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 157
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upcountry View Post
I haven't done it in several years but when I first got into riding it was a regular on the calendar for me! Beautiful roads and the no cars is pretty nice(hit 66mph down Monitor). My two tips: Start early, even earlier than they announce the start time, it helps with crowds at feed zones and beat the heat of the day on Carson Pass. Second tip, buy/wear a thrift store jacket/hoody at the start and simply donate it at the first feed zone(base of first side up Monitor). This means you're not lugging around a jersey full of your shed layers all day.
Sound advice here. I froze my tail off at the beginning of the ride a few years back.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Blue Jays Blue Jays is offline
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States of America
Posts: 4,892
Question

Didn't the organizers do a name change on this famous ride or am I thinking of a different event?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2020, 07:44 PM
gbcoupe gbcoupe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Didn't the organizers do a name change on this famous ride or am I thinking of a different event?
There's an ALS Death Ride in Colorado. That's what I thought this was about at 1st.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2020, 09:05 PM
smead smead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 760
I just can't see this ride happening in July 2021, so would not recommend signing up. This is a ride of thousands with hundreds amassed elbow to elbow at each RS. It is a zoo. Vaccines will not save large scale events like this in CA by then .., at least if I were a betting man that's what I'd wager.

Check out the Alta Alpina Double Century which runs about the same time. About 150 riders instead of 5000, I think they'll be able to pull that one off next year.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-31-2020, 12:42 AM
Peter B Peter B is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sierra Foothills
Posts: 2,747
AADC is a terrific ride; all 5 passes of DR + 3 more with another 80 miles and 5,000' of climbing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.