Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 02-07-2020, 11:58 AM

I'll probably be there...although I'm not sure what I'm looking for (always a dangerous proposition for me)
Old 02-07-2020, 08:48 PM

Dont have a table this year...will be probably taking my loot at veloclasique table

anybody with tables?
Old 02-09-2020, 11:47 AM

Anyone else drool over that beautiful fillet brazed Landshark tandem with the funky paint scheme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Anyone else drool over that beautiful fillet brazed Landshark tandem with the funky paint scheme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1st year in 8 that I didn't go. I've just recently spent some dough on a new wheelset, and I'm pretty content with what I have (did I just say that? ). So.....
Old 02-09-2020, 04:05 PM

I was there it was pretty good this year . i saw the land shark tandem pretty cool. i was eyeing the moots but alas too big..... but man it was crowded.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:09 PM

Seven

What about the Seven Axiom tandem with the S&S Couplers? It was hiding behind a table. Great year for the high end tandem crowd!
Old 02-09-2020, 07:28 PM

Ultra saw that tandem, was sick!!!

As for packed with people? it was ok but years ago looked like black friday, people waiting to get in and when they opened the door everybody was running like crazy lunatics.

This year was weird, i do not know if it was the economy actually changing or what. For example not many old shimano groups, some years you see those by tons, some years pretty much campagnolo is nowhere to be found, this year for campagnolo was not bad but IMO prices were tad high, again.... economy is changing so kind'a explains it.

The other thing is that IMO the inventory of bikes and frames was not so big and people was not like walking out with bikes each 2 seconds.

Another example is the amount of BMX and kids bikes around was super unusual. Personally did not get that much stuff, even had to ask a forumite for a MTB brake cable because this year i couldnt see a single one because other years you have like 20 tons of those moving all over the place.

PJ took super nice bikes with him, even a pegoretti, and his lemond is just fantastic (all mavic starfish), is a good thing he use larger frames than me :P
Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 PM

I saw the Peg a bit high for me as i would only want to ride that in perfect weather Sunday rides but it was definitely gorgeous and not many shimano 9 or 10 speed groups but I didnt show up until 10. so maybe all the early birds got the worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Ultra saw that tandem, was sick!!!

As for packed with people? it was ok but years ago looked like black friday, people waiting to get in and when they opened the door everybody was running like crazy lunatics.

This year was weird, i do not know if it was the economy actually changing or what. For example not many old shimano groups, some years you see those by tons, some years pretty much campagnolo is nowhere to be found, this year for campagnolo was not bad but IMO prices were tad high, again.... economy is changing so kind'a explains it.

The other thing is that IMO the inventory of bikes and frames was not so big and people was not like walking out with bikes each 2 seconds.

Another example is the amount of BMX and kids bikes around was super unusual. Personally did not get that much stuff, even had to ask a forumite for a MTB brake cable because this year i couldnt see a single one because other years you have like 20 tons of those moving all over the place.

PJ took super nice bikes with him, even a pegoretti, and his lemond is just fantastic (all mavic starfish), is a good thing he use larger frames than me :P
Old 02-09-2020, 08:44 PM

It was slow and around 9:30 or so people started to show up.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:12 PM

I've only moved to Maryland about 8 months ago and wasn't familiar with this one (had been to the Trexlertown swap a few times), so I decided to check it out. Not really looking for anything in particular, maybe a balaclava or some socks. Wound up getting a good deal on a couple Campy bits: new in the box freehub body marked $125 and some brake pads (marked $40). Asked the two young guys working the stand how much and they looked at each other and said $25 for both - they had a deal. Hope some of you found these guys - right front corner as you come in. Bikes: a nice Casati carbon bike with 11sp. Super Record for $3000 in my size, but....admired the opalescent paint on a few Kleins.

Brought my bike and checked out some of the local roads using a route from ridewithgps. A nice, rolling 40 miles on the backroads between Westminster and Taneytown with good pavenment and few cars. Found some decent Mexican food in Westminster when I got back. A good day overall.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:08 PM

I tried to get a couple of things from them but they did not want to go down at all. That's life :P They had a bunch of lockrings...made them an offer for all of them, no dice... went to check they did not sell them at all. Cuiously enough they had a lot of UT central bolts regular and titanium ones... same with freehub bodies for campy wheels.

There was a miyata pro w/o decals, little kid wanted like 75 bucks for it and with the fork. Too big for me and I really do not need anything else YET :P

ps: remember that klein you are talking about.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
I tried to get a couple of things from them but they did not want to go down at all. That's life :P They had a bunch of lockrings...made them an offer for all of them, no dice... went to check they did not sell them at all. Cuiously enough they had a lot of UT central bolts regular and titanium ones... same with freehub bodies for campy wheels.

There was a miyata pro w/o decals, little kid wanted like 75 bucks for it and with the fork. Too big for me and I really do not need anything else YET :P

ps: remember that klein you are talking about.
Didn't want to make a deal? That seems odd: when I was there they were acting like they just wanted to get rid of stuff - and that was sometime before 11 am.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:10 PM

Example... they had a set of record calipers, a new record 10 RD in the box, and a english threaded UT cups... they said make me an offer... ok... said 80 for the rd, they said no...150... ok, no i cant...... 100 for the calipers which were not in the box either... the tall kid said 150...ok, no i cant.... I can give 10 for the UT cups... no i want 25... no, sorry... then they said, if the stuff is still here at 1pm we can talk about. So clearly they did not want to sell the stuff to the mexican

I think the problem was that a sucker got there super exited and drooling about the campagnolo boxes probably he was seeing for the 1st time, saying to them that the 11 speed cassetes were like 500 bucks a piece, thing that happened around 9am-10am right when I was passing by. I thought that they were going to be hard to deal.

They had a box with shimano mtb shifters at the left side of the table, there was a set of used but long enough mtb brake shimano cables with the casing wrapped around the parts... "can you do 5 on this cables?"... no, $25.... at that point clearly something was going on. I was looking for a mtb brake cable to fix my wife's bike, which I did not find (other years those are by tons and tons around) till i asked to PJ's friend, those fellows were next to the cmapy kids, he sold me one a brand new one with the casing for 5 bucks and he had them hiding somewhere hhehehe

Example, another guy had a set of campy cables, sealed... "would you do 10?.. sure!"... for the record i did not get too much, i got like 5 small things. For me was a weird swap meet. Other years the loot was vast.. this year not too much.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:02 PM

First year for me. It was a lot bigger than I expected. Anyway, I didn't bring much to sell and the guy I split the table with brought too much to sell but I ended up doing ok. My wife was at my table for most of the day, wearing a crust bikes hat, annoyed that nothing was priced so if you tried to buy something from me, I apologize. If you were successful, thank you!

I bought a dozen or so smalls that I was stoked about. Regretted not buying one of those NIB Silca Pistas for $35 and some of those nice metal floor stands. Definitely planning to be back next year.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:26 PM

I know the guy who had those pumps and probably has more moving around.