Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2004, 01:33 PM

Tips & Trick for the Brooks B17

Hi all,

I just got a new Brooks B17, installed it on my CSI and went for a 30 mile bike ride. I liked the overall comfort, but, I kept slipping all over the place on it. And, I cant really figure out if sitting way back in it is more comfy or lower down. Considering that I kept sliding down, that might not be an option...

Please, anyone with experience with their Brooks, saddles...Help me! Enlighten me or just give me some insight on how to make it more comfy.

I have always used a Selle San Marco Era and have logged over 15K miles on them. What happens is, after about 50 miles they start to get uncomfortable and I get that ol penile numbness thing happening. The Era is a great saddle if I dont do long distance riding.

Trying to get a saddle that I can do a Century on that at the last SAG stop, I still want to continue the last 20 miles on.

As always thank you in advance,

Steve
Old 10-09-2004, 02:02 PM

brooks

Steve, you will get used to it feeling slick. I keep mine level or just ever so slightly tilted up. I think the slick feeling is part of the reason they are so comfy you move just a tiny bit all the time. Once you develop a sweet spot you are completely unaware of it though. I have tried about 5 different saddles on my newest bike and as much as I don't want to I'm going with a b-17. Right now the ottrott has arione on it and it looks great but feels like riding on a rock so on goes the B-17. I'm sure others more learned than I can comment further, I just know they work.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:04 PM

Brooks Tips

So Cal,

Couple of Suggestions. First you may need a set back post. On a
standard post, the Brooks may be too far forward. There just is not
enough rail to slide in back sufficiently. The nose should be tilted up
just a tad. Carry tools with you on your ride and adjust it evey 5 miles
or so. A micro change a can make a real difference.

Give it a really good coating of profhide and rub it in well with you fingers.
But GO easy on the profhide after the second coating. Initial break in is
200 miles or so.

I'm on a B67.

Hope this helps
Old 10-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Epic=No Smiles

My tips:

1) Salsa shaft
2) Veeery slight upward tilt
3) Push it back on the rails.

Cheers,
- Christian
Old 10-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Bike Fitter

Take what Ahnieda says as pretty much gospel , 4 Brooks Saddles and counting . Level to tip just a very small tad up . When broken in the sit bone indentations will do the rest. The saddle is still too new. Also remember Proofhide it and get and off-set post like they all said. Do you want to sell the Arionne ? Interested please pm me . Thanks
Old 10-09-2004, 05:39 PM

OK - I am working about mile 2000 to 3000 (lost count this year) on a new B-17

my experience: The B-17 'pushes' you forward so like everyone said, set it back on the rails. I have mine just a hair nose up from level. It took about 500 miles before the slippery feeling was gone, but now oh baby....comfy.

tricks: to descend - squeeze the brooks with your thighs and have yer arse hanging off of the back of the saddle - it will let you really lower to an areo position and its comfortable!

You can get a saddle cover at wallbike.com - it fits the B-17 and is good in case it rains. Dont get it wet! Use an under saddle bag (protects leather from splatter from rear wheel) and coat the bottom with a thick goopy layer of proofride. You ar gonna hate the weight of a Brooks, but Ill bet (if you give it a chance - at least 200 miles) you will not ever switch back.

It will change your normal fit so you might want to go see your local whiz (Smiley comes to mind)

Finally - enjoy your long rides as they will no longer make you feel like yer arse is being split in half by a cheese slicer!
Old 10-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Like I'm the only one...

In my experience the saddle cover for the B17 by selle italia sucks. It's a good fit, but I never got it to stay on the saddle if I moved around on the saddle. Next thing you know it's bunched up between your legs and that ain't right. The last time I used it I just peeled it off, after a few bunched up miles, and put it in my jersey.

Lately I've been using plastic grocery bags if I'm riding in the rain. Just place it over the seat and tie it off underneath. Not too long ago I got caught in a rain out of nowhere, and started peeling my eyes for a plastic wal-mart bag, there are plenty of 'em on the road down here. Sure enough I found one inside of 5 minutes and the B17 was happy happy.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Steve,

I used to have mild numbness problems. A Selle Italia ProLink with the hole took care of that for good. Never had any issues since.

Louis
Old 10-09-2004, 09:04 PM
Helianthus annuus

The B17 has a hammock in the center of the saddle so if you aim to make the rear level this places the nose slightly up. Voila! The saddle also has notoriously short rails, a matter that Brooks has promised to change for years. We wait. Grant Petersen has pointed it out to them as long as I can remember. We wait. As for slipping, what you need is a hot day that gets you a'sweatin' on the saddle so that it gathers it's nature patina, like a baseball glove after you've worn it. There's no better saddle though you might need a post with some setback like the Nitto.

dbrk
Old 10-11-2004, 09:32 PM

my experience with a brooks

I have a brooks that I recently broke in. Don't believe it when some people say that it was comfy out of the box. It takes a little time to break in. For me, by mile 300 I knew I would never ride another saddle other than a brooks. It took about 500 miles before it was comfy all the time, and the last time I even thought about the saddle was 800 miles. After that I stopped counting.

I went for a 72 mile ride the other day, and honestly, the 72nd mile felt just like the first to my b_tt--absolutely perfect!! You'll never go back and here's to many happy miles.

Ride with a wrench to adjust the nose all the time. Small adjustments make a big difference.