Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 11:06 AM

Is that high safety rating getting hit by other cars? I find it hard to believe anyone that understands physics would think the car is safe with the behemoths on the road around it. Saw my first cybertruck on Monday, as an example.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:07 AM

Great notes, I especially appreciate the comments by people who owned Minis.
Thank you.

from what I've read elsewhere, it seems that the best bet are 2014+ coopers.
That generation had better engines, etc.

But in general, what a controversial vehicle!
So much to love and so much to hate.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Is that high safety rating getting hit by other cars? I find it hard to believe anyone that understands physics would think the car is safe with the behemoths on the road around it. Saw my first cybertruck on Monday, as an example.
Can't speak for real world crash results. Has always tested well for front and rear impacts. Less so, but acceptable for side.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:40 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I live in deer country, and became super aware of that danger when I drove the Mini. That would have been bad. Getting t-boned by some Yahoo in one of today's monster trucks? Furgetaboutit.
Old 04-03-2024, 12:56 PM

Deer can easily jump high enough to hit the front windshield of a full size SUV or pick up truck. With feet to spare.

If you want a Mini get a Mini. It's just as rational to worry the deer can't jump clear over the taller vehicle and think you're safer in a Mini.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:54 PM
n - 1

To be fair, I don’t know anyone who’s hit a deer say that they even attempted to jump. They just sit and stare or get hit while trotting across the road.
I’d much prefer to be in a truck than a Mini when hitting wildlife.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Lets all remember the OP is not talking about the small mini cooper, he's talking aboiut the Countryman, which is not really all that small.
Old 04-03-2024, 02:57 PM

The 2013 Cooper and I believe the 2015 Clubman are the last generation years of the smaller minis that, in my opinion, better capture the soul of what a Mini is. the newer ones are much larger and do a good job of masquerading their size through design.

These are cheap cars, but hold their value well, and are just really fun and charming. We have a 2013 R56 Cooper S Hyde Park, purchased used with low mileage (for less than the cost of a new S-Works). It's an absolute blast to drive. We haven't had any issues with it yet. I've done all maintenance, which has been pretty easy so far, only oil changes and a battery replacement to date, and some BMW Coding. My only gripe is that the plastic trim pieces in interior have gotten louder over time over bumps and what not. We only use ours for around town, wouldn't want to use it for a long road trip. It's not a daily driver either and I'd be split on whether to get one for commuting purpose. You do need to keep an eye on the oil level.

If I were looking today, I'd seriously consider a 2006 Cooper S. those are the smallest body style, and I imagine they will start to appreciate in value as the new ones get bigger and bigger. Provided you are okay to take on minor maintenance and/or know of a trusted shop.

Below is our mini behind a newer style, you can see the size difference.

Last edited by Erikg; 04-03-2024 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Lets all remember the OP is not talking about the small mini cooper, he's talking aboiut the Countryman, which is not really all that small.
FWIW he did mention the cooper as one. Perhaps that isn’t small but I thought so. I don’t disagree otherwise

I enjoyed the mini coopers I rented in NYC many years ago. A few times to bike races!
Old 04-03-2024, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
Great notes, I especially appreciate the comments by people who owned Minis.
Thank you.

from what I've read elsewhere, it seems that the best bet are 2014+ coopers.
That generation had better engines, etc.

But in general, what a controversial vehicle!
So much to love and so much to hate.
Really depends how you approach car maintenance and your expectations.

If you replace everything early according to what the dealer recommends, then your likelihood of being left stranded goes down significantly, while your wallet continually gets lighter. If you approach is like a Toyota/Honda and expect 100k+ miles before you have to pop the hood, then you better get a tow guy on call.

It's typical BMW bullsh*t, substitute plastic where plastic isn't meant to be. Oilpans, water pump impellers, pieces of the vacuum system. Add overloaded/undersized bushings and your total suspension needs an overhaul basically a month after the lease ends.

Like most "luxury" car companies nowadays, they've calculated that selling big loans is not as profitable as selling leases and parts to the second owner as they get stuck w/ planned obsolescence.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:42 PM

While deer behavior conversation is entertaining, I don't think it applies in our case

Like I said, the expected annual mileage would be under 5000km per year.
Mostly 20km per day
City driving, work/school.

We have an SUV for everything else.

As for advice to buy another, more reliable, vehicle... I get it, but the idea here is to buy something that makes the driver smile and have fun.

Yes, I do maintain our cars myself for the most part.

I still have a couple of months to find one, so I guess I'll wait for a good deal on the Marketplace. Still have time.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:45 PM

Erikg

I like your 2013 R56 Cooper S Hyde Park!
Old 04-03-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil View Post
Erikg

I like your 2013 R56 Cooper S Hyde Park!
Thank you! it's fun car, and so far has exceeded our expectations. I was also very worried about buying a mini originally, but it's been a great little car.
Old 04-03-2024, 04:32 PM
Back At It!

sorry, a bit late to this discussion.. prior 2006 Cooper S owner here (the one with the supercharged engine)..

Pros- such a fun car to drive, so quick and nimble! Super cool nods to nostalgia while being modern (like the switches, gauges, etc). One of the best owner communities around (at least, it was when I had mine).

Cons- maintenance when out of warranty.. as others have said, it's a BMW and that means $$$ when something goes wrong (and it will).. IF you can find a good, local mechanic that knows their stuff and you're willing to fix stuff when needed, then it may not be bad (but will never like a Toyota in reliability).. I love some of the BMWs and I love the Minis, but I can't see owning one out of warranty unless it was just a screaming deal.. (or you are able to most of your own maintenance/repairs)..

of course, my experience is a different car than what you are looking at, but it sounds like it's not that much different of an experience..

Old 04-03-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
Sorry you (and possibly people you know) had bad experiences. My second hand 328D wagon has 55k miles on my watch, and I have zero complaints. Oh well, perhaps mine is a unicorn…. I hope it stays that way!...
No it's not