Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 01:25 PM
Administrator

The Paceline Forum is a molecule in the Ocean that is the internet.

The forum has run as long as it has due to the mostly excellent people who come here for their bike fixes and the experience other members are willing to share with each other. Its also due to how we and previous moderators have tried to maintain and foster the cohesive nature that has been the hallmark of this place. The rules that we run by were set in motion very early in the forum's history. There have been tweaks here and there but over all we do our best to keep things running smoothly.

Thank you for hanging out here folks!

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forum.jpg (127.5 KB, 205 views)
Old 06-01-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Thank you mods. It’s a privilege to be one but with all privileges there is work involved and tough decisions which makes it seem like a thankless job.

I remind everyone of what Desmond Tutu once said, “If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.”
“In a racist society, it is not enough to be non-racist, we must be antiracist” -Angela Davis

The silence of this forum is noticeable, as is the shutting down of speech highlighting the intersection of cycling and racism. The luxury of being to be ‘not political’ is a privilege. Yes this is a not a public space and mods can do what they want, but we see it.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdog View Post
The silence of this forum is noticeable, as is the shutting down of speech highlighting the intersection of cycling and racism. The luxury of being to be ‘not political’ is a privilege. Yes this is a not a public space and mods can do what they want, but we see it.
Just 'cause someone hates Shimano doesn't make them a racist.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdog View Post
“in a racist society, it is not enough to be non-racist, we must be antiracist” -angela davis

the silence of this forum is noticeable, as is the shutting down of speech highlighting the intersection of cycling and racism. The luxury of being to be ‘not political’ is a privilege. Yes this is a not a public space and mods can do what they want, but we see it.
100%.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
These are trying times and I just want to say thanks to the mods for keeping this place neutral and peaceful.
Yes, here @ the Paceline forums any voice is welcome so long as it echoes everyone else's...
Old 06-01-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
Yes, here @ the Paceline forums any voice is welcome so long as it echoes everyone else's...
Sure feels like that sometimes
Old 06-01-2020, 10:11 PM

The world is full of places to vent about the current administration, social injustices (that don't involve Lance ), and any of the other hot topics of the day. I'm glad that this isn't one of them. Sorry. I do care about these issues to varying degrees, but I don't allow them to creep into every facet of my life.

Let the Paceline be more about artful welds as smooth as butter.

We can do without as-yet empty promises from hollow organizations that can barely fulfill their core purpose, let alone achieve social justice. Want to talk about a really cool group ride that has been advancing minority participation in disadvantaged communities? I'm all ears. You want to vent about why such things are impossible and want to point fingers as to why this is the case? Go elsewhere.

It's the difference between positive and negative, and how much bikes (rather than corporate public relations) are involved in it. Until words are put into meaningful, positive action, it's just noise.

There's enough of that in this world today.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
The world is full of places to vent about the current administration, social injustices (that don't involve Lance ), and any of the other hot topics of the day. I'm glad that this isn't one of them. Sorry. I do care about these issues to varying degrees, but I don't allow them to creep into every facet of my life.

Let the Paceline be more about artful welds as smooth as butter.

We can do without as-yet empty promises from hollow organizations that can barely fulfill their core purpose, let alone achieve social justice. Want to talk about a really cool group ride that has been advancing minority participation in disadvantaged communities? I'm all ears. You want to vent about why such things are impossible and want to point fingers as to why this is the case? Go elsewhere.

It's the difference between positive and negative, and how much bikes (rather than corporate public relations) are involved in it. Until words are put into meaningful, positive action, it's just noise.

There's enough of that in this world today.
Agree 100%. Very level headed. The cacophony of virtue signaling can be hard to stomach.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:41 PM

What say, in this thread, we strive to keep it focused on appreciating the work the Mods do. I fear the mods will have to close the Mod appreciation thread if we're not careful. Again, thank you guys!
Old 06-01-2020, 10:47 PM

Moderation of an Internet discussion forum around any topic is a thankless, but necessary, job wading through the mire of digital discourse.

It is not mutually exclusive to thank one for a labor well done and simultaneously hope they rise ever higher to a moment in history, while also demanding the same of the very users they oversee.

And yet hope leads as much to disappointment as it does to elation.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
What say, in this thread, we strive to keep it focused on appreciating the work the Mods do. I fear the mods will have to close the Mod appreciation thread if we're not careful. Again, thank you guys!
My apologies. Moderation is a difficult task (I've been there) when you're trying to keep everyone civil and more or less on-topic. It's a tightrope walk for sure. Too heavy or light of a hand leads to dissatisfaction and erosion of users. Their steady and reasonable efforts are a major reason the Paceline thrives while other bicycling forums flounder.

We're here because of bikes. Riding bikes, collecting bikes, building bikes, drooling over bikes... That's the center that we're all aiming for. As long as the moderation team keeps us all herded in that general direction, I think the Paceline has a bright future.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
My apologies. Moderation is a difficult task (I've been there) when you're trying to keep everyone civil and more or less on-topic. It's a tightrope walk for sure. Too heavy or light of a hand leads to dissatisfaction and erosion of users. Their steady and reasonable efforts are a major reason the Paceline thrives while other bicycling forums flounder.

We're here because of bikes. Riding bikes, collecting bikes, building bikes, drooling over bikes... That's the center that we're all aiming for. As long as the moderation team keeps us all herded in that general direction, I think the Paceline has a bright future.
Thanks Mike !
We are trying our best and there are a lot of wonderful people here. Bikes are something we all love and we all love riding.
Having been on this forum through multiple iterations for almost 20 years those moderators that came before us help set the tone.

One of my best friends in town is on the opposite side of the political spectrum yet we share a love of hiking, climbing and cross country skiing. We have wide ranging discussions when we are on trips together. I think this is possible in part because we are face to face and can "read" what's going on with the other person. He and I probably agree way more often than we disagree but we are never disagreeable. This is something that's just not possible on the internet. Nuance is lost.

There are way too many cases here of members insulting, baiting or just plain being rude to each other. There are lot of other places on the internet to express yourself on many other subject than bikes. FB, Reddit, etc.

We want to stick to bikes. Thanks
Old 06-01-2020, 11:31 PM

I thought I was going to Lambrettas, Vespas, light mirrors, Clarks, Fred Perry, Ben Sherman, Targets, Arrows, Jazz, Soul, Motown, Stax, Northern Soul three button suits....

I was hoping to be in my element!

Thank you mods for what you do!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Alaska Mike -- Thanks for your input and you have nicely captured what we are trying accomplish. There are indeed many places to discuss political and social issues, and there times when that happens here. Unfortunately, this often deteriorates and leads to personal attacks.

I understand the desire to discuss issues like this on social media, and we aren't sticking our heads in the sand as if these issues don't exist. We simply want to provide a place were people can come to talk about all things related to cycling and have a break from 24/7 stuff that is going on -- especially right now.

Like gasman, I have a friend that I've been riding with for many years and he is a great guy that would do anything for others. But we can't talk about the current issues going on because of our differing opinions. Matter of fact, it has become such problem that I've asked him not to send me any communication related the current social issues. The reason I mention this is if two people who have known each other for a long time can't discuss these issues, how can we expect these type of discussion to go smoothly with a group of people who for the most part don't really know each other?
Old 06-02-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
I thought I was going to Lambrettas, Vespas, light mirrors, Clarks, Fred Perry, Ben Sherman, Targets, Arrows, Jazz, Soul, Motown, Stax, Northern Soul three button suits....

I was hoping to be in my element!

Thank you mods for what you do!
Brad Wiggins, is that you?

Closed Thread