Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 08:33 AM

This is a good tool from Shimano PRO. You can shift through the gears and it rolls with the chain. Handy
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 8.32.26 AM.png (52.0 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by charliedid; 06-01-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
...I've always meant to get one. Some are cheap enough that a DIY one isn't worth the trouble...
I bought a handful of them once. Great for bike cleaning and storage when the wheels are removed. (If you're going to thoroughly clean a bike the wheels have to be removed.) For quick release frames, they are agnostic with regards to axle length.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:10 AM
Shifty Member

I have the Pedros one, but usually forget that I have it and just take the chain off.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:28 AM
Administrator

cool.

i just ordered a relatively generic one that got good reviews. i'd love to spring for the Abbey, maybe sometime in the future if this one gets as much use as i expect.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:15 PM
#RYFB

Late to the party…happened to use my Park Tools one to wash a bike yesterday. Works as advertised, think it would even move if I shifted the derailleur but don't see much purpose in that. As much as I love Abbey Tools this is one thing I find it hard to imagine much difference among the offerings, cheap was the right prescription for me.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:26 PM

I have one of these for boxing my travel bike, might work for washing as well.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM

Back in 70's, I had a plastic piece that fit into Campy dropouts for holding the chain. I bet it's in with my old bike stuff somewhere. Somebody has to make something similar today. I have chain hangers on my ti frames.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM

I made my own a number of years ago, for $30ish I bought a Tiagra rear hub and put a mostly worn out cassette on it and use it when I clean/work on my bike in the stand. The nice thing about having the cassette on just a hub is that it allows you to solidly clamp it in the frame and shift the derailleur into the largest cog for cleaning/lubing purposes.

I also dedicated an old hub set for packing my bike in the travel case. Using hubs in the frame is more solid and secure than using the plastic shipping pieces that new bikes come with or the threaded rod with wing nuts included with a lot of cases. The added bonus is I will never forget to pack the QR skewers since I use the ones I take out of my wheels for the hubs used as the packing spacers so the fork and rear triangle don't get crushed during shipping.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:03 PM
Randomhead

The park dh1 looks good. Does anyone make one for a TA?

On edit, it just needs to be a spool that rides on the TA skewer. I guess I'll make one on the lathe.

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-01-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:57 PM

Angry, Angry, ANGRY!!! OMFG! You mean some of us/you actually RIDE your bikes?!?!?! Guess I've been doing something wrong all these years.

I actually have one of the Park dummy hubs that works well.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
On edit, it just needs to be a spool that rides on the TA skewer. I guess I'll make one on the lathe.
Put me down for one.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C50 View Post
I made my own a number of years ago, for $30ish I bought a Tiagra rear hub and put a mostly worn out cassette on it and use it when I clean/work on my bike in the stand. The nice thing about having the cassette on just a hub is that it allows you to solidly clamp it in the frame and shift the derailleur into the largest cog for cleaning/lubing purposes.

I also dedicated an old hub set for packing my bike in the travel case. Using hubs in the frame is more solid and secure than using the plastic shipping pieces that new bikes come with or the threaded rod with wing nuts included with a lot of cases. The added bonus is I will never forget to pack the QR skewers since I use the ones I take out of my wheels for the hubs used as the packing spacers so the fork and rear triangle don't get crushed during shipping.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking: cheap hub (perhaps cut from a trashed wheel) along with a single cog and some spacers cut from PVC. It would probably work just as well for chain cleaning to have a solid sleeve of PVC over the freehub body - just let the chain run over it wherever the RD places it.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:34 AM
Shrimp123

any link to where i can find this? useful to add to my breakaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I have one of these for boxing my travel bike, might work for washing as well.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:48 AM

Feedback Sports makes a nice one. Spins the chain and everything so you can clean it all easy peasy.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:17 AM

I use a thin wooden dowel thru the holes in the drop outs with a piece of 1,5" PVC pipe on it cut to the rear spacing size. Not particularly useful with modern bikes but I guess it'd work on a thru axle as well.