Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 PM

Years ago I used to ride with a friend who'd wear just bike shorts while on his road bike, no helmet. This was in era of hairnets by the way, and the Bell V1 just came on scene.

He was about 6'4" and literally looked like a combo of Schwarzenegger and Adonis (he was a bodybuilder who happened to cross train on his bike for fun) complete with longish blonde hair, chisled jaw, etc. The guy literally stopped traffic, and yes the girls swooned.

The rest of us hacks just rode behind what was one of the best drafts on PCH!

So yeah, he pulled it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
Until I read this thread I never even contemplated the idea that anyone would ride only in bibs and without a jersey. It would certainly take balls of steel to do it.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 PM

Wow, is this a thing? I typically abide by “no shirt, no shoes, no service” in most aspects of life unless I’m on a beach. Otherwise, wear a jersey/shirt like a normal person.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:24 PM
Member?

Rule #7 // Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.Under no circumstances should one be rolling up their sleeves or shorts in an effort to somehow diminish one’s tan lines. Sleeveless jerseys are under no circumstances to be employed.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:21 PM

Yeh wouldn’t do it unless you’ve got the panache to pull it off..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
Rule #7 // Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.Under no circumstances should one be rolling up their sleeves or shorts in an effort to somehow diminish one’s tan lines. Sleeveless jerseys are under no circumstances to be employed.
This
Old 05-28-2020, 04:23 AM

Would this be frowned upon?

Afraid so.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 AM

For once I read through an entire thread before opening my own big fat mouth, but as far as I could tell, no one posting in this thread asked if the OP pulled the bib straps down. I would think that would make a big difference in aesthetics, tan lines, whether we cyclists continue to get a bad rap, etc. So, OP, where were the bib straps?

As for me, I'm kind of surprised at all the negatory responses. Folks sensitive about their spaghetti arms? idk. I say go for it if you feel like you can pull it off. That said, I would personally want to be in top shape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8vcHWqHXsE
Old 05-28-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
For once I read through an entire thread before opening my own big fat mouth, but as far as I could tell, no one posting in this thread asked if the OP pulled the bib straps down. I would think that would make a big difference in aesthetics, tan lines, whether we cyclists continue to get a bad rap, etc. So, OP, where were the bib straps?

As for me, I'm kind of surprised at all the negatory responses. Folks sensitive about their spaghetti arms? idk. I say go for it if you feel like you can pull it off. That said, I would personally want to be in top shape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8vcHWqHXsE
Hey thanks for diff perspective on it. And Cipollini !! You know as I was riding a little bit self conscious of riding with just bibs I passed another cyclist on a cruiser with cargo shorts and no shirt with his fishing rods going to the lake to fish.

I waved as I passed and kind of understood that simple pleasure of going shirtless for a bike ride on a sunny hot SNJ day finally (it's been either cloudy or chilly for past few weeks).

And - no: I didnt have straps down. I thought of it more like wearing a tank top. This is meremember pics add 10lbs lol)\
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg part1.06090404.00080301.jpeg (125.2 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180925-140252.jpg (62.2 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by pooneej; 05-28-2020 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:34 AM
ZhugeLiang

Pioneer pal, I think you certainly look the part and is well-endowed with all the necessary prerequisites to do whatever you fancy, that includes visiting bibshort optional beaches...please kindly ignore all the little pissy comments that are bore out of nothing more than jealousy and short-sightedness...oh by the way, I heard that the Avengers are recruiting the newest member to represent the fast-growing cycling population due to COVID. This is their latest prototype, would you be interested in being interviewed for the job?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg avengers.jpg (69.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Nope, go this way for a better bike tan but please, wear a helmet and mask!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mario-cipollini-riding-naked-his-indoor-bike.jpg (27.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Pioneer pal, I think you certainly look the part and is well-endowed with all the necessary prerequisites to do whatever you fancy, that includes visiting bibshort optional beaches...please kindly ignore all the little pissy comments that are bore out of nothing more than jealousy and short-sightedness...oh by the way, I heard that the Avengers are recruiting the newest member to represent the fast-growing cycling population due to COVID. This is their latest prototype, would you be interested in being interviewed for the job?

I have it all backwards lol - at the beach we're usually fully clothed lollololo

I guess I've always had to do things a little bit differently !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_6896.JPG (110.1 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 07:57 AM

What kind of thread did I just walk into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 09:30 AM

I think the OP just flexed on everyone here, haha.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
I think the OP just flexed on everyone here, haha.

That said, imo, physical fitness lets you get away with a lot when it comes to sartorial decisions. I think that's whether you're wearing a suit or athletic wear.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Nope, go this way for a better bike tan but please, wear a helmet and mask!!
And Please never sell your used saddle in the classified section here
Old 05-31-2020, 09:53 PM

As long as your sponsors are tattooed on your back and chest you are good. Because we are all pros here.