Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 07:31 AM

Calfee is the sheite among tandem crowd.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Part of this is Craig's abandonment of his dealer network. I sold many, then saw some QC issues, followed by his demanding unreasonable yearly buy ins regardless of what was on the floor or how many we purchased during the year. Adios Craig.

I talked to him at Interbike, seeing if the problems were resolved and if I could purchase a couple for the floor as a carbon choice..and got the 'gotta buy 10 up front like the other CO dealers', except there were no other CO dealers..

I think in the late 80s, 90s, it was a nice frame, good tech even with a few oddities(like offset BB shell, for crank clearance, because he wouldn't ovalize of 'dimple' the RH chainstay)..The Tetra, then Luna, then Dragonfly..nice frames, good $...but it kinda fell apart and now he is all about carbon repair, mostly.
Yep, that seems the case, just google Calfee, https://calfeedesign.com/ Though if I was offered one I'd take the Adventure, https://calfeedesign.com/adventure/.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobswire View Post
Yep, that seems the case, just google Calfee, https://calfeedesign.com/ Though if I was offered one I'd take the Adventure, https://calfeedesign.com/adventure/.
yup

Quote:
We have a few Calfee retail experts who are willing to walk you through the intricate world of purchasing a Calfee tandem. Please click here.

*Please note, we don’t have retail experts for single bikes.* Please call our sales representative if you have questions on our single bike program.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 AM

I bought a Calfee when they were still called CarbonFrames almost solely because Greg LeMond rode one. Probably the only time I ever *had* to have something a pro rode.

Inner chainring clearance was a problem, but otherwise a good bike. I ultimately sold it to purchase a Serotta Legend (hence the screen name).

At the upper end of the market bike riders want the latest and greatest and there is a perception that the Calfee Tetra Pro just hasn't evolved much since it was introduced 25+ years ago.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM
You still here?

Calfee was way ahead of his time. I’ve had 5 Calfee/Carbonframes in the last 20 years and loved them all. I built my wife a TetraPro 30,000 miles ago and she won’t let me replace it.

They’re not the sexy bike anymore but still offer a very good bang for the buck.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM
PegoNagos

I have gone bought and sold numerous framesets over the years. My Calfee is the only one I wish that I wish that I could get back.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:40 AM

At first, and for some time, I really liked the Calfee carbon frames for their unique look. But that was at a time when I collected, and was interested in a lot of "unique" bikes. Over the decades, the Calfee carbon look has, as has already been said, become dated, and lost its attractiveness for me.

I do, however, remain in love with my Calfee bamboo bike 10 years into ownership!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Registered (ab)User

Every Calfee I've seen in the flesh has been gorgeous. Every picture of a Calfee I've seen on the internet has made me want to throw up in my mouth a little. Not sure why the disconnect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Part of this is Craig's abandonment of his dealer network.
The only feedback about the buying experience I ever heard firsthand was talking to a guy on a Dragonfly who I met during the 2010 Markleeville Death Ride. I asked "How do you like the Calfee?" and he said "The bike is great, but the guy is a real dick."

He described an experience -- inflexible, argumentative, and demanding (of the customer!?!?!) -- that struck me as being completely antithetical to the small bespoke framebuilder transactions I've been involved with.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:23 AM

I don't like their current aesthetics.

But I would totally be down to rock an older one, especially with the blue/purple tint over the carbon. But then it would have to have polished silver components, like 7700. If I ever see one that's selling used inexpensively, fits my geometry, and fits 28's, I'd be seriously tempted.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:36 AM

imo, the webbing is fugly.

would be a deal-killer for considering the brand regardless of ride quality.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:37 AM

Love the bikes, hate the company

OK, maybe hate is a bit strong but it's REALLY tough doing business with the company, you gotta want it and want it BAD.
  1. Bought a Tetra Pro used and sent it off to them immediately to be repainted and also bought a new fork to have painted to match. Result was BEAUTIFUL but while it was there I asked them if the fork was 1" or 1 1/8 and whether the BB was Italian or BSA. Answer was 1 1/8 and Italian so I bought the requisite parts. Bike arrived, went to build it up. They'd sent (and painted to match) a 1 1/8" fork, it was a 1". Sent the fork and parts back. After a substantial wait they sent a painted to match 1" fork via the slowest shipping method they could find (took 9 days to get here). I ate the return costs for the parts. End result is beautiful, real hell getting there.
  2. I bought an Adventure. At the time I bought it I wanted a silver seat post collar and specified that on the order (through a Calfee dealer). Showed up with a black one. Contacted them numerous times, "we don't have one in stock but when we get our next batch in we'll send it to you". Two years later it still has a black seat post collar.
  3. Contacted them several times about having the above Adventure S&S coupled. No reply.
  4. Bought a demo model Bamboo Pro from them. They said they'd respray the clear coat before they shipped it since it had been to numerous trade shows and had a few scuffs in the clear. They didn't. Gave me a written "IOU" for a respray whenever I wanted it, all I needed to do was send it back. Guy who gave the IOU left the company, they disavowed all knowledge.
Love the bikes though. I've done a ton of back-to-back 100+ mile days on the above Tetra Pro and it's comfortable, light enough, handles like a dream. Ditto the Bamboo Pro and Adventure.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Every Calfee I've seen in the flesh has been gorgeous.
Agreed! I've yet to own one (haven't really been a fan of the way the lug webbing looks), but every single person that I've met that has one just absolutely raves about them. I'd own one and would love to have one in one of the translucent finishes or the matte natural finish. Cool bikes!

Texbike
Old 04-13-2018, 11:00 AM
bourbon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post

agreed
Old 04-13-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
not hip enough, imo.
This is Paceline. It's Hip when we say it's Hip.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post

What I find interesting is there's another thread on Dave Kirk's gothic frame and how people are raving about it!

Yet, everyone rags on the Calfee's gusset/webbing lugs as "fugly."

I'm a Calfee owner and have ridden it for like 20 years and over 30K miles. Last year, I picked up a used Trek Madone 700 and put etap on it. Wow, what a difference. I think the main difference is how much lighter the new carbon frames from Trek, Giant and just about anyone else is compared to the Calfee. Calfees are built like tanks in comparison.

Craig needs to come out with a new lightweight model with superthin tubing like the latest carbon frames.

Good Luck!